Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th October 2017, 20:13   #11
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Ignoring the Insurance implications for a moment, I have a Mondeo ST TDCI estate late 2006 running on standard fitment of 225/40/18's. Did not think any Mondeo went bigger than that, perhaps the very latest models do?

If you go up a size in profile you need to go down a size in width to remain "vaguely" similar rolling diameter. More importantly you might retain enough clearance especially on the front. I know from the Ford forums if i went up to 225/45/18 on mine (ZT size) i would have clearance problems on full lock at the front.

Only good thing about running 225/40/18's on mine is that they are so much cheaper than ZT size!

Curious to know what year of Mondeo you have..
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 20:13   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
I have seen a few post where people have changed the profile of their tyres (Up) to gain a smoother ride. What are the insurance implications if you have an accident and non standard tyre sizes are fitted, would they invalidate the insurance?

I ask because I have a car with 235/40/18s and would like to got up to either 45 or 50 profile and am not sure if it is something that you are allowed to do, or if they would affect the handling, I know there would be less road noise and that's what I want.
is this not a question better directed to your insurance company?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 11:29   #13
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

May be worth looking in the handbook, and seeing if your desired tyre size was ever fitted as an option.
If so, then your insurance company should not be too bothered - after all at some point Ford would have deemed it acceptable (but best to inform them anyway, just in case)

But that brings the other question - How does an insurance company assess what is an acceptable change - I know many people who would just buy the same as what is fitted, without ever checking the handbook - should they be penalised for not knowing the tyres were not standard?

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote