Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th October 2017, 11:32   #1
GRANDAD LES
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER CONTEMP

Smile Air-bag light always "on"

The air-bag light is now permanently on, I used to get it to go out by unplugging the under seat connectors and a squirt of WD40. But no such luck any more! Any advise please.ROVER 75 CONTEMPORARY AUTO DIESEL 05.

Last edited by GRANDAD LES; 10th October 2017 at 12:00..
GRANDAD LES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 11:42   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Maybe the under-seat connectors have finally given up. They were never any good from the start. The usual long term fix is to solder the wires together or cut out the old ones and fit good quality connectors.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 12:02   #3
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Les,
When you turn the ignition on, does the light come on, go off, then come back on again?
If so, then it is probably a connector, get the codes read and use that to target the right part of the circuit, also check for damp carpets....

If not, then check the fuse in the passenger side fuse box (F13? normally has a yellow cover over it), but in my experience it is normally the airbag module itself when the light comes on and stays on (but could be wiring on the K bus). In this case, comms with the airbag module will not be possible.

Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 12:20   #4
GRANDAD LES
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER CONTEMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
Hi Les,
When you turn the ignition on, does the light come on, go off, then come back on again?
If so, then it is probably a connector, get the codes read and use that to target the right part of the circuit, also check for damp carpets....

If not, then check the fuse in the passenger side fuse box (F13? normally has a yellow cover over it), but in my experience it is normally the airbag module itself when the light comes on and stays on (but could be wiring on the K bus). In this case, comms with the airbag module will not be possible.

Chris
Hi Chris, how odd you should mention that as I did go to my car one morning, the drivers side was flooded. Sucked out with my "Titan" wet/dry vacuum cleaner, from Screwfix and thought no more about it- but has not done it again. How, may I ask would this cause my trouble?

Les.
GRANDAD LES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 19:00   #5
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Because you have a side impact sensor which is part of the SRS system and will bring the air bag light on if faulty. It is located on the front of the cross member under the seat and carpet and you have one both sides, doesn't much like getting wet. Did you cure the leak, do you have a sunroof ?

You may have thought you have soaked up all the water but the foam under the carpet is very thick and can retain a lot of water, ideally you need to get the seat out and have a closer look which will also enable you to get at the side impact sensor, if you cant get the seat out at least peel the carpet back in the footwell to see if the foam is retaining water.

The under seat connectors are used in other places without failure and the theory put forward by Rover was that there is a gas released from the foam in the seat which affects the connection

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 10th October 2017 at 19:59..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 11:47   #6
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Rob, you beat me to a reply
This is exactly what I was going to say.

Les, I assume this means your light goes on, off, then back on?

Regards
Chris

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
Old 12th October 2017, 01:40   #7
deltic08
Avid contributor

52 ZT 190 Solar Red. 54 ZT 190 SE Ignition Blue. 54 ZT 190 SE Rio Red. 05 ZT 1.8T Aurora

Am I correct in thinking that if the warning light is constantly on, the air bags will not activate in a crash?
deltic08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2017, 12:56   #8
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

If the light comes on, and stays on (doesn't go on, off, on), then it is highly likely that the airbag system is significantly broken and will do nothing.

If the light goes on,off,on then that is a different scenario, I don't know if it would work or not. However even if it could work, it may not function due to whatever put the light on in the first place (imagine if the light is on as an airbag is unplugged, no matter how hard the airbag module tries, it will never fire that airbag, similarly if a sensor is defective then the airbag module might not receive a trigger signal)

Old 12th October 2017, 13:50   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

If any part of the SRS system is defective, then none of the system is active, so an SRS warning lamp means no airbags will deploy

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 09:06   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

A member came to my house about three weeks ago with the same problem, he had water under the seats, this in turn corroded the YBD100310 air bag sensor, this was changed and all was good once more.

You must make sure under carpet is dry though, before fitting the sensor, later models have the YDB000310 orange coloured sensor photo's below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12678.jpg (136.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12679.jpg (125.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12680.jpg (123.5 KB, 34 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote