Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th March 2018, 14:33   #21
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

The offer still stands, if you need a hand fitting an alternator, and you can get over to me I will help you. Shame all my regulators were 3 pin jobbies.

If you go to a local garage it may be worth getting the belts replaced at the same time, as that should only be a materials cost.

In fact, stating the obvious, the belt is fitted and turning the alternator, isn't it? (Quick check would be, is the steering a lot lighter when the engine is running, compared to engine stopped)

Regards
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2018, 14:34   #22
yellownev
Regular poster

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
You have checked the fuse on the exciter side of the alternator circuit??
Hi Klarzy, not sure which that might be, some have said fuse 36 needs checking (5amp) but I have pulled and checked all 5 amp fuses and they are all ok.
yellownev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2018, 14:34   #23
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
The offer still stands, if you need a hand fitting an alternator, and you can get over to me I will help you. Shame all my regulators were 3 pin jobbies.

If you go to a local garage it may be worth getting the belts replaced at the same time, as that should only be a materials cost.

In fact, stating the obvious, the belt is fitted and turning the alternator, isn't it? (Quick check would be, is the steering a lot lighter when the engine is running, compared to engine stopped)

Regards
Chris
you can fit a 3 pin no problem.... the 3rd pin in the socket of 3 pin OEM cars goes nowhere anyways? if you undo the plug, it is not conneted
Old 24th March 2018, 14:35   #24
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellownev View Post
Hi Klarzy, not sure which that might be, some have said fuse 36 needs checking (5amp) but I have pulled and checked all 5 amp fuses and they are all ok.
that was the one i was thinking of...
Old 24th March 2018, 14:40   #25
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
you can fit a 3 pin no problem.... the 3rd pin in the socket of 3 pin OEM cars goes nowhere anyways? if you undo the plug, it is not conneted
You can fit a 3 pin alternator in place of a 2 pin alternator.
But the regulators are not interchangable as the inners of the alternators are different, see the pictures on dmgrs for comparison of the 2 regulators (https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...-and-yle102500)

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
Old 24th March 2018, 14:45   #26
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
You can fit a 3 pin alternator in place of a 2 pin alternator.
But the regulators are not interchangable as the inners of the alternators are different, see the pictures on dmgrs for comparison of the 2 regulators (https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...-and-yle102500)
i have taken a 2 pin alt and regulator off of a diesel and replaced it with a new alternator with 3 pin.... it worked flawlessly.... when i opened a used 3 pin regulator to see what was inside... pin 3 was not connected to anything...
Old 24th March 2018, 14:47   #27
yellownev
Regular poster

75 Tourer

Quote:

Regards
Chris
Thanks Chris, you are a real gent, problem is time to get an alternator and then fit it... I have to be in Staffs on Wednesday so may well order up a alternator and bring it over some point after Easter .... ? Belts are new Jules fitted them in November..just tempting myself with one last roll of the dice with a new regulator from Discount spares ....
Old 24th March 2018, 15:06   #28
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
i have taken a 2 pin alt and regulator off of a diesel and replaced it with a new alternator with 3 pin.... it worked flawlessly.... when i opened a used 3 pin regulator to see what was inside... pin 3 was not connected to anything...
I agree, the 3rd pin on the regulator is not connected, so at the engine level you can fit 2 or 3 pin alternators, and both types will work fine.

However within an alternator, the 3 pin regulator will not fit in the place of a 2 pin regulator, as the screws (connectors) are in different places. So the correct regulator type is required for the alternator fitted, which was the problem I have in that I have a spare regulator, but it is the 3 pin type, but the op has a 2 pin alternator so my spare won't fit to sort the op out.

Old 24th March 2018, 15:09   #29
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
I agree, the 3rd pin on the regulator is not connected, so at the engine level you can fit 2 or 3 pin alternators, and both types will work fine.

However within an alternator, the 3 pin regulator will not fit in the place of a 2 pin regulator, as the screws (connectors) are in different places. So the correct regulator type is required for the alternator fitted, which was the problem I have in that I have a spare regulator, but it is the 3 pin type, but the op has a 2 pin alternator so my spare won't fit to sort the op out.
I see, but if you swap the whole alternator (his commutator rings looked quite worn??) then its not an issue? plug and play so to speak...
Old 17th April 2018, 09:20   #30
yellownev
Regular poster

75 Tourer

To complete the circle on this request for help - I ended up with a new alternator. Tried new brushes, and a second hand regulator with no results so as I needed a reliable car and quickly I had a new alternator fitted.

Thank you all for your advice and offers of help especially Chris who offered to swap out the alternator for me.

Sometimes you (I) have to acknowledge it's better to pass the job to the garages especially if you have not the tools or more importantly the time to resolve.

At least it means I am to keep the lovely car for a good while longer to get my money's worth from the new alternator. Take care