Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th December 2018, 09:14   #1
200BRM

MG-ZTT

Unhappy Major electrical failure...Help.

Hi Folks.
I am new to the forum but have been running an old 220k mile CDT for several years now. I bought a 2004 ZTT 1.8 turbo recently which has been off road for 5 years. The engine was in bits in the boot but is all rebuilt with new turbo now. The key fob operates the doors and tailgate OK. Interior lights and horn work but nothing else works on turning the key. No dash lights, No nothing. I have checked all main battery and earth connections and battery is good. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers.
200BRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 09:20   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Check that the ecu isn't swimming in the plenum chamber, & check the key for the transponder
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 10:19   #3
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Check Fusible Link 12 in the engine compartment fuse panel, that is the main feed for the ignition switch.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 12:56   #4
200BRM

MG-ZTT

Default Electrical failure

Thanks Gents.
Key transponder is in place and no sign of water in the ECU area and tubes not blocked. There is no voltage to the ignition switch but link 12 is OK. I suspect the Grey unit fixed with 2 security bolts fitted to the right of the accelerator pedal. Immobiliser I suspect but surprised if it is this as the doors all still work on the fob???
Old 29th December 2018, 13:05   #5
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

If there is no voltage on the two Brown/Slate cables at the ignition switch, and there is at the Fusible Link end, the fault could be in the cables themselves.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 15:40   #6
200BRM

MG-ZTT

Default Electrical failure

Thanks for the point towards fuse link 12. Poor rusty connection here and now we have power. Still no spark though. Everything else including fuel pressure just no spark. Tried another camshaft pickup but no joy. Double check ECU and a dose of WD40 on the connections but nothing. As the car has been without power for years does the immobiliser need a reboot or something? Cheers.
Old 29th December 2018, 18:29   #7
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

The immobiliser will not let the car crank if it does not recognise the key.
Try removing the transponder and check if the car cranks (it shouldn't, confirms car hasn't been bodged wiring wise), then replace transponder in key.
Also on the diesel, the immobiliser needs to speak to the ECU to allow the engine crank (hopefully somebody else can confirm if this is the case for the 1.8, sure it would be), again suggesting ECU is powered.

Can you confirm the fuel pump is running, and that you have pressure at the injectors.

Does this car have 2 coils? Do you have no spark on all plugs? Can you check them on anything else? I am always suspicious of 2nd hand parts in this situation - did previous owner swap them so all parts are present?

May be worth stepping back and making sure all connections on engine are made to loom (ensure something hasn't been left disconnected)

Good luck
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.

Last edited by cb750chris; 29th December 2018 at 18:32..
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 04:52   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Check to see if the tachometer needle moves when the car is being cranked, if not then the next port of call is to check the wiring to the crankshaft position sensor (CKP)

It is common on the turbo models for the CKP wiring to be baked where it passes through the heat resistant sheath adjacent to the turbocharger.

If this happens, it shorts out, normally killing the ECM in the process

Check the wiring first

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 10:46   #9
200BRM

MG-ZTT

Unhappy Electrical failure

Thanks Brian.
Yep. All 3 cables fused together. I have cut and remade all 3 and reconnected to the connector. I know I should have 12 volts on one of the cables but I have it on 2 of them???. All cables have lost their colour so am not 100% they are reconnected ok but I suspect the damage may have already been done anyway. Do you offer a test/repair service for the ECU?