Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th April 2019, 20:17   #1
MrBIW

MG ZT-T 2.0 Diesel

Angry Battery Drain

I have a problem that if i can't resolve may lead to the demise of my beloved MG ztt cdti. I cannot find the cause of 2.5 amps of battery drain which is killing a full battery overnight. Having removed the sat nav unit completely ( known previous cause) i am still annoying my neighbours with alarm sounding in early hours.
I know from previous experience that with all doors closed etc the alarm usually shows 3 to 4 amps for approximately 2 minutes and then drops to 50 milliamps. Currently my car has over 4 amps for 2 minutes and then drops to 2.5Amps as the cabin lights extinguish and alarm sets.
2.5A is killing the battery.
As my car has 210k miles on it I am struggling to justify hours / cost of extensive investigation / repair.
Removing fuse 33 ( audio) makes no difference.

Sad but the end may be nigh !
MrBIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 20:30   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Don't give up!

Have you put a multimeter on each fuse to see if any are drawing current?
Old 24th April 2019, 20:33   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I have absolutely no idea what the problem is but what about pulling a fuse at a time to see when the drain drops and go from there or have you done that?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 20:42   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBIW View Post
As my car has 210k miles on it I am struggling to justify hours / cost of extensive investigation / repair.
Removing fuse 33 ( audio) makes no difference.

Sad but the end may be nigh !

Try this way - https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=167111

You can begin by pulling the main fuses in the under bonnet main fuse panel, then move to pulling fuses if necessary behind the glove box.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 24th April 2019 at 20:44..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 21:20   #5
MrBIW

MG ZT-T 2.0 Diesel

Default Tried so far .......

Removed Sat nav unit.( had no disc anyway !)

checked for current drain across engine bay fuse box except for the pattern of 6 square shaped fuses which I have been unable to extract. None of the Larger fuses appeared to carry the current being drained.

removed fuse 33 ( audio)

Recent faults have been the external air temp sensor which turned out to be harness break. Currently the aircon is not working, worked fine last summer but have recently tried and comressor is not kicking in but haven't had chance to investigate.

Thanks for speedy response folks
Old 24th April 2019, 21:46   #6
MrBIW

MG ZT-T 2.0 Diesel

Default Tried so far 2 .......

Having been a lifelong Rover fan / employee ( 28 years at Longbridge) and have never owned any car not built at Longbridge or Cowley I have to say even I can't support the logic of locating the cabin fuse box up behind the glovebox!!!! as someone with two knee replacements and rapidly advancing years it is all but impossible !!! Did think if I had a sunroof I could hang by toes upside down !!
Old 24th April 2019, 22:58   #7
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Another way of checking for which circuit is responsible for the current drain is to use a multimeter and measure the (small) voltage drop across each of the fuses, and then using the tables here
https://www.powerprobe.com/fuse-voltage-drop-charts
To look up the current drawn.

Something else to check, when the car is locked, does the background lighting on the light switch go out? If not, the light switch could be doing the rest of the car going to sleep properly.
Also, check the glow plugs are not staying enabled (especially if the relay has been wet)

Good luck
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.

Last edited by cb750chris; 24th April 2019 at 23:00..
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 23:02   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Battery going flat that quick could be the alternator at fault which is draining the battery, use your multimeter to check the alternator output.

Also, have you done any audio mods recently such has upgrading stereo or fitting a dash cam, if so disconnect or pull the fuse and take another reading.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 23:19   #9
Blackrose
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

would one of these be of any help

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotiv...cAAOSwS~FaXd5V

My aircon wasn't working due to compressor clutch not pulling in. A re-gas fixed it. (for now anyway) Hopefully there is not a leak.

Blackrose

Last edited by Blackrose; 24th April 2019 at 23:23..
Blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 07:27   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBIW View Post
Removed Sat nav unit.( had no disc anyway !)

checked for current drain across engine bay fuse box except for the pattern of 6 square shaped fuses which I have been unable to extract. None of the Larger fuses appeared to carry the current being drained.

removed fuse 33 ( audio)

You cannot have it both ways, if you haven't managed to remove the large fuses, you cannot be certain which circuit is any is causing the discharge. There is also a possibility that the starter motor or alternator might be the source of the issue. 2.5amp is a substantial discharge, so should be an obvious and easy source to locate.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote