Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd August 2019, 19:39   #21
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I can't remember if it's through the club, or through the club insurance, but with the caravan and motorhome club I get cover for the caravan too. So if I break down while away on holiday, I can call the AA to return me to the site, then use the club's cover to collect me and the caravan and take us home. Thinking about it I'm pretty sure it must be through the insurance, as if the van gets stolen or damaged whilst on our way to a site, they will put us up in a hotel.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2019, 13:38   #22
Charles
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connossieur SE

I have used Britannia Rescue for many years now, and found them very reliable. They don't have a fleet of rescue vehicles; they despatch a local recovery vehicle when called. Originally set up by the Civil Service Motoring Association and restricted to current or former civil servants, but I believe they will now accept anyone as a member. Last renewal cost £67 but that includes CSMA subscription. I don't know what Britannia Rescue membership on its own would cost.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2019, 16:53   #23
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I have used Britannia Rescue for many years now, and found them very reliable. They don't have a fleet of rescue vehicles; they despatch a local recovery vehicle when called. Originally set up by the Civil Service Motoring Association and restricted to current or former civil servants, but I believe they will now accept anyone as a member. Last renewal cost £67 but that includes CSMA subscription. I don't know what Britannia Rescue membership on its own would cost.

Basic single vehicle for UK £40, but no mention of a trailer or caravan at all and no email address to ask them. I would like to get their replies in writing, just in case there is a dispute.

I emailed RAC over a week ago to ask about their policy on a caravan on site, not attached - they have even bothered to reply.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2019, 19:12   #24
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Just received the renewal quote for breakdown from Co-op insurance Same price for the last 4/5 years. £109.00 Cover the same as RAC, AA for this country, and Europe. Have now got to find out if my car is still covered,17 years old December. Was told last year that they only cover cars upto 16 years old, but can not see any mention of age this year, so going to phone them to make sure. I have never had to call them out in around 7 years, so might go for me I hope. Will let you know.
Old 10th August 2019, 19:33   #25
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Harry,
I have just renewed my breakdown cover with the Caravan Club.
Maybe not the cheapest at £102.50/year, for 2 people on a personal cover (ie any vehicle) basis. However the service they offer seems to tick all the boxes for me. Note, this is only a roadside and recovery price, it is not the home start etc service.

If you breakdown on your way to a pre-booked site they (claim that they) will take the caravan to the site before taking the car for repair, then if the car cannot be repaired by the end of your holiday they will bring you and the caravan home.

Never actually had to put them to the test for this - but this is what they state they will offer.

You do need to be a member of the caravan club to take advantage of this though, which could be an additional £52/year.

Hopefully you won't be needing whatever service you select .

Regards
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.

Last edited by cb750chris; 10th August 2019 at 19:36..
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 08:07   #26
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Have been motoring for 51 years now and never needed rescueing once. Have always managed to improvise and get myself home somehow. I realise I have been lucky but good maintenance is is a big factor, fixing little issues before they become serious.
Britannia Rescue is supposed to be very good and I have been a member for 23 years now, but have no personal experience as I have never called upon their services.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 11:52   #27
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Have been motoring for 51 years now and never needed rescueing once. Have always managed to improvise and get myself home somehow. I realise I have been lucky but good maintenance is is a big factor, fixing little issues before they become serious.
Britannia Rescue is supposed to be very good and I have been a member for 23 years now, but have no personal experience as I have never called upon their services.

I have had a few breakdowns in my long driving career, both of my own vehicle and company vehicles. I have only suffered one breakdown of my own vehicle which I wasn't able to fix myself at the roadside - a clutch master cylinder complete failure a couple of years ago. I've had cart spring snap and been lucky enough to have a spare in my boot, so fixed at the road side. One car ingested a nut, which jammed under an intake valve so I had to strip the head down at the road side in London, plus a few minors, fixed in minutes where the engine has simply died - blocked jets, blocked filter from dirty fuel.

Company cars and much higher mileages, I have had lots of breakdowns. One lost all of its single circuit hydraulic brakes on a hill, so I had to scrub the speed off against a hedge with the help of the gears and handbrake. A one month old one had its ECU fail completely, another recent one had its gear stick become detached due to a design fault.

So I can fix many issues myself and I do maintain my cars, but even the best maintained can fail and not be fixable at the roadside without parts. Besides, modern roads are busy - try pushing a 2 ton car and a 1.5 ton caravan by yourself, on a busy motorway. I'm getting old and not as fit as I used to be, so its takes me a little longer than it used to take whatever I do.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 11th August 2019, 12:05   #28
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I have had a few breakdowns in my long driving career, both of my own vehicle and company vehicles. I have only suffered one breakdown of my own vehicle which I wasn't able to fix myself at the roadside - a clutch master cylinder complete failure a couple of years ago. I've had cart spring snap and been lucky enough to have a spare in my boot, so fixed at the road side. One car ingested a nut, which jammed under an intake valve so I had to strip the head down at the road side in London, plus a few minors, fixed in minutes where the engine has simply died - blocked jets, blocked filter from dirty fuel.

Company cars and much higher mileages, I have had lots of breakdowns. One lost all of its single circuit hydraulic brakes on a hill, so I had to scrub the speed off against a hedge with the help of the gears and handbrake. A one month old one had its ECU fail completely, another recent one had its gear stick become detached due to a design fault.

So I can fix many issues myself and I do maintain my cars, but even the best maintained can fail and not be fixable at the roadside without parts. Besides, modern roads are busy - try pushing a 2 ton car and a 1.5 ton caravan by yourself, on a busy motorway. I'm getting old and not as fit as I used to be, so its takes me a little longer than it used to take whatever I do.

The reasons you quote is the very reason I took out breakdown cover. In 1996 I bought a used Granada, my very first car with electronic ignition, injection and auto gearbox. One look under the bonnet convinced me I needed cover, what with motorways, longer journeys and my wife driving the car. I accept I have been very lucky not needing the breakdown services, but have never begrudged the fees for the cover. It has been worth it for the peace of mind.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 13:12   #29
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
The reasons you quote is the very reason I took out breakdown cover. In 1996 I bought a used Granada, my very first car with electronic ignition, injection and auto gearbox.

Well done, I had three of those nice motors in their day, including the frog-eyed Scorpio :-)

I would be driving one now, if they still made them. I home built a little diagnostic thingummy, to tap into the ECU for faults, just in case, but never needed it. I went all over the UK in them, the only breakdown was a CV joint towing up to Scotland, but I managed to nurse it the rest of the way there and back. I disposed of each, when the rear wheel arches began to bubble.

Old 12th August 2019, 01:32   #30
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Can anyone recommend cover for a European trip? I thought I was covered with AutoAid, but no, my mistake. Really, auto recovery should be included with your insurance, but I suppose it's nice to have a choice.

The cover for one European trip to Spain and back seems to cost more than the annual fee in the UK..
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote