Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th February 2018, 20:53   #1
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default CanBus and tow bar wiring. Technical

Here’s one for the technical minded.

Last week I fitted my tow bar and 13 pin electrics to my Mercedes CLS which has CanBus wiring.
The wiring kit (Westfalia) was extremely simple to fit as the 12 wires were pre wired to the socket and inside the car all I had to connect were two CanBus wires, the earth wires and the extra wires for the fridge and battery charging which again simply plugged into the fuse box.
There were no wires to connect to any lights as the control box via CanBus signals control all lighting on the caravan.

Now my question is could such a system be used on the 75.

I will soon be transferring the towbar from my current 75 onto my project 75 but would be quite willing to leave all the wiring in place if a CanBus system could be used.
On my current 75 I used an old loom to source the correct wiring colours to splice into the car loom. These wires were then terminated at a junction box along with the 13 pin cabling from the socket.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 21:05   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I read some where that a "plug in" wiring harness was at one time available for the 75, but there a bit like rocking horse droppings now ...

(But I did manage to find an OE spec plug in harness for my 45)
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 08:00   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I’ve never seen the OE wiring harness for the 75 but my Jaguar XF had a dedicated wiring harness where you unplugged the tail light assembly and plugged in the harness between the light and original loom.

The harness for the CLS had a significantly less number of wires, one of the reasons cars now use the CanBus system to reduce weight.
Old 28th February 2018, 17:43   #4
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Jim,
Sorry to inform you, if you are fitting a towbar to the 75 it is a case of splicing in to the individual wires for the rear lights. I would recommend using a bypass relay (but some don't). This is the case even when using the genuine factory kit
The Mercedes sounds like the rear lights have a can bus processor within it to decode the canbus, whereas our cars have a bunch of wires from the light switch, the "only" feature used with the CAN bus is for bulb failure warning when used with the genuine towing relay box.

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 22:26   #5
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I suspected that the 75’s CanBus system would be limited in comparison with Mercedes, after they’re almost 2 decades apart.

I fitted the tow bar originally onto our diesel 75 then when I changed it over to my V6 I made up a loom from the wiring from a scrap 75. It’s a much neater installation than it was originally which was supplied with scotchlock type connectors and yes it does have the by pass relay.