Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th June 2018, 10:55   #1
midlife75user
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Default Tow electrics help

I know people who fit towbar electrics fit it all sorts of ways and a professional and a home bodger will do things differently before we start. I'm just looking for any wise soul experience. My tourer CDTI that has been a marvellous tow car for the passed 4 years. It's developed an issue with towing electrics. Standard 12n I have replaced the car socket and the caravan plug. Indictors especially the right indicator is intermittent and is annoying. I have used a multimeter and the correct voltage is coming through so I am at a loss.

On checking in the boot the supply 7 core cable goes to the front of the car I presume under the seat and then along sill. ( Oh for the days you just wired it into the back of the light cluster) I can't see any sign of it in the engine compartment but I am a dipstick. I am wondering if its to do with maybe the audible buzzer.

When it comes to electrics I am a bit like Catweasel ( ask your parents if you don't know who that is) and elecktrickery) I'm loath to spend out money to get it sorted ( short arms, long pockets)

Opinions required on where the buzzer might be located and where to look for it connecting to the system.

Many thanks
Tony

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
midlife75user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 11:13   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

That installation is obviously not a MGR Approved version. I would suggest you look around the Cabin fuse board (behind/below) the Glove box for a start.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 13:43   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

are you getting 12v at the indicator fitting where the bulb goes? Are the contacts between bulb holder and bulb in good condition and making contact with the bulb and not lose?

Buzzer.... under dash or behind one of the rear side panels.

as you have changed both the male and female plugs i'm not going to mention poor contact between the two.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 22:05   #4
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Have to agree with macaffee on this, I get intermittent indicators on my caravan, and every time I have found it to be the light cluster on the caravan, corrosion on the bulb/holder causing no lights.

As for location of buzzer/bypass relay I would start by tracing the wire back from the tow socket, but my suspicion would be behind the boot trim. Try turning an indicator on and follow the noise of the buzzer?

Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 12:05   #5
midlife75user
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

All sorted traced buzzer to under rear seat. Tightened screws all working. Hopefully.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
midlife75user is offline   Reply With Quote