Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th December 2018, 13:37   #1
cw1uk2
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Default Broken Again...

Think my affair with my 190 has come to an end.

So far this year have replaced all Brake disks, Various suspension parts, 2 Brake Callipers, Breather Pipes, Full service, New set of tyres, Bonet Release, Thermostat, Radiator, all pipes on cooling system.

This week the Clutch stayed on floor so I was towed to the garage by RAC, Engine was running fine other than no clutch, and was running under tow to garage.

Garage just called to say they have been trying to start it all morning but are failing, Inlet manifold apparently has a lot of oil in it, and they are saying I probably have bent valves as well... Either this car is just a Lemon or my garage is full of....

If there was an issue with Valves/Inlet manifold would I have not experienced issues leading up to the clutch fail? (not saying the 2 issues are related, or could they be?)as other than the clutch going it was driving normally.

To be honest I can't work it out, but tottaly sick of the garages and the car, I have struggled to find a garage in Southampton I trust over the last 3 years of owning the car, and have been to various, mainly with poor results and other issues off the back of the work performed.
Jobs done: K&N air filter,Jules Plenum Guard, Shannon Tube, New coils, Emptied ton of water from boot, replaced rear light seals..Double Din unit installed, replaced AC controls with Blue lit ones, new front disks, Number plate light circuit replaced, headlights de-fogged, Breather Pipes replaced... Jobs to do- Paint Callipers, Fuel Tank Cage to be replaced, Fix Bonnet release as currently opening with pliers... and continue NOT to tell the Wife how much I'm spending
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by cw1uk2; 7th December 2018 at 13:46..
cw1uk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 13:49   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

cant see clutch and bent valves being connected but I don't know your car
I'm in Southampton and if you want a hand doing something pm me
jobs you have already done don't seem major jobs and certainly some if not all is DIY

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 13:49   #3
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Think you may need a 2nd opinion?

Has the garage changed the slave cylinder on the clutch?
Bent valves following a clutch change does not sound correct, unless you have been really unlucky and your cam belt has slipped (broken) at the same time......

The inlet manifolds do collect a bit of oil on these cars, which is the cause of the VIS motor issues, but this is not normally a problem.

Would suggest garage need to double check all the connections they disturbed, suspect they have forgotten a multiplug, or (hopefully not) an earth strap.

If your garage is really stuck, then I may be able to help - drop me a PM if you need my help

Regards
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 14:01   #4
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I’d get the car away from that garage and take up the offer of one of the experts here.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 14:49   #5
MGMalc
Avid contributor

MG ZT190+, MG ZT160(V6)Retired

The inlet manifold does collect oil but that is from the engine breathers.
I doubt you have any bent valves.

This garage are either clueless or they don't want to do the job.

Last edited by MGMalc; 7th December 2018 at 14:50.. Reason: spelling
MGMalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 15:04   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Could the said Garage be trying to pull your Pants down ?????

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 15:19   #7
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1uk2 View Post
Think my affair with my 190 has come to an end.

So far this year have replaced all Brake disks, Various suspension parts, 2 Brake Callipers, Breather Pipes, Full service, New set of tyres, Bonet Release, Thermostat, Radiator, all pipes on cooling system.

This week the Clutch stayed on floor so I was towed to the garage by RAC, Engine was running fine other than no clutch, and was running under tow to garage.

Garage just called to say they have been trying to start it all morning but are failing, Inlet manifold apparently has a lot of oil in it, and they are saying I probably have bent valves as well... Either this car is just a Lemon or my garage is full of....

If there was an issue with Valves/Inlet manifold would I have not experienced issues leading up to the clutch fail? (not saying the 2 issues are related, or could they be?)as other than the clutch going it was driving normally.

To be honest I can't work it out, but tottaly sick of the garages and the car, I have struggled to find a garage in Southampton I trust over the last 3 years of owning the car, and have been to various, mainly with poor results and other issues off the back of the work performed.

Cut your losses mate, sell it to one of the people on here who say it will be an easy fix and buy a newer car.

The obvious problem with this is none of them will actually buy it from you I got lucky and sold mine for a fair bit more than the scrapman offered but I have never looked back. I now have a car I can just drive rather than worry about what new noise will be next everytime I get in it....

Last edited by mystabe; 7th December 2018 at 15:27..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 17:23   #8
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

You've let a clown outfit touch it, probably the first MG / Rover they've seen since the marque went bust, I'm surprised they haven't told you that the car has hgf.
They have seen oil in the throttle body and have wrongly assumed something else.
They cant start it because they have left some wiring unplugged.
If you want me to go and have a look at it for you pm me, I'm only round the corner from you.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2018, 18:42   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
You've let a clown outfit touch it, probably the first MG / Rover they've seen since the marque went bust, I'm surprised they haven't told you that the car has hgf.
They have seen oil in the throttle body and have wrongly assumed something else.
They cant start it because they have left some wiring unplugged.
If you want me to go and have a look at it for you pm me, I'm only round the corner from you.
PM me too and we can all meet up

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote