Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th July 2015, 06:28   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Great BBC Breakfast article on Town centre car parking

Watching an interesting article now. Cardigan had all its car park ticket machines vandalised such that it has had free parking for the last month.

Result?

Huge increase in turnover and footfall for the town.

Only thing that made me laugh about the article was that the very idea was treated as some sort of revelation and the question "would free parking help the High Streets of the UK?" posed as though the very idea was so odd.

Now I hate mindless vandalism.

But maybe - just maybe ........ taking out Town Centre car park ticket machines is not that mindless?

Last edited by Dragrad; 18th July 2015 at 21:28.. Reason: Post amended to put in the correct town ;-)
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 09:44   #2
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Strange how they all got vandalised, could that not be some sort of sabotage I wonder?
Interesting though that footfall increased!
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 09:48   #3
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

It's not rocket science though, is it!

If you declare war on the motorist (as most Councils have done) they will simply shop elsewhere!

We have all the hand wringers wondering why the "High Street is dying" and as can be proven by this one example, stop using the Motorist (which they seen unable to distinguish, is actually a "shopper") as a "cash cow" and they will return to the High Streets, which long term gives the Councils increased revenue, as all the shops are occupied and paying rent and rates!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 10:56   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
It's not rocket science though, is it!

If you declare war on the motorist (as most Councils have done) they will simply shop elsewhere!

We have all the hand wringers wondering why the "High Street is dying" and as can be proven by this one example, stop using the Motorist (which they seen unable to distinguish, is actually a "shopper") as a "cash cow" and they will return to the High Streets, which long term gives the Councils increased revenue, as all the shops are occupied and paying rent and rates!
Why is it - that we can all see this - it is so obvious - that those that are destroying our High Street Shopping centres are those that like to think they are in charge of it?

Salisbury is a classic example. You go into Salisbury and it is dead. Many shops boarded up and a lot of those that aren't are Charity Shops.

And yet those that pushed the car parking charges up to £9 a day also habitually grant planning permission for out of town shopping centres.

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/ne..._to___9_a_day/
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 11:33   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

are we sure it is the fact that people have to pay to park or is it the amount they have to pay to park that is the problem?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 11:39   #6
itchyfeet
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

I don't even bother going into town anymore as the parking is so expensive and cars are bunged together. Last time was 2 years ago and they wanted £9.60 for less than 2hrs 20mins.
Big shopping malls with free parking all around the place. So we go there.

One other thing. At our University, they make us pay to park now. Probably have to pay to walk next. Pay to breath.
itchyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 12:29   #7
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

In fairness councils collect the rates on behalf of the treasury. They don't keep it themselves.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 14:06   #8
itchyfeet
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
In fairness councils collect the rates on behalf of the treasury. They don't keep it themselves.
Our council parking spots here are normally very cheap. Like 50p and hour. Problem is that they are taken up so fast and private developers keep buying up all the land and charging crazy prices.
I sure don't want to spend £13 upwards per day to park a car.
itchyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 14:58   #9
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

In our area council parking is 80pence an hour at the top of our road there are two parades of shops and several small industrial units with a couple of garage workshops thrown in, guess what, no one uses the car park so they park in the housing estate opposite that includes cars that are waiting too be repaired, I live in a Cul-De- Sac the guy living next door has a Mitsubishi plus a 20foot caravan
It won't be the first time he has got to the top of our road and not been able to get out, complaints have been made to the council to no avail even turning into the road causes problems because car are parked up in a row and it like having to go down a one way street.

Rev Jules
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 15:04   #10
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyfeet View Post
I don't even bother going into town anymore as the parking is so expensive and cars are bunged together. Last time was 2 years ago and they wanted £9.60 for less than 2hrs 20mins.
Big shopping malls with free parking all around the place. So we go there.

One other thing. At our University, they make us pay to park now. Probably have to pay to walk next. Pay to breath.
we already pay to breathe .

Taxed from the cradle to the grave ...
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote