Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th July 2020, 16:13   #1
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Default Android Double Din Steering Controls

Hi guys just installed a nice little Android 9 double din unit but can't get the steering controls connected - has anyone done it? I've got Key 1 and a Key 2 out the back of the unit, I originally connected them to the 2 Rover steering control wires (blue/orange & blue purple) with no luck and another member mentioned connecting blue/orange to earth but still no luck. It's a real shame as it's a great little unit which has the capacity it's just my brain which doesn't...! Can anyone assist?
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2020, 18:08   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
Hi guys just installed a nice little Android 9 double din unit but can't get the steering controls connected - has anyone done it? I've got Key 1 and a Key 2 out the back of the unit, I originally connected them to the 2 Rover steering control wires (blue/orange & blue purple) with no luck and another member mentioned connecting blue/orange to earth but still no luck. It's a real shame as it's a great little unit which has the capacity it's just my brain which doesn't...! Can anyone assist?
Sorry don't know why it doesn't work on your machine. Here's a copy of the original message I got from Julian: "Yes Blue / orange to black (earth / ground) and blue / purple to key 1 then programme the buttons on the stereo with the SWC app".

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2020, 06:21   #3
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Sorry don't know why it doesn't work on your machine. Here's a copy of the original message I got from Julian: "Yes Blue / orange to black (earth / ground) and blue / purple to key 1 then programme the buttons on the stereo with the SWC app".

Regards
There's a thought - there's a couple of apps on the Playstore I might be able to use... It's definitely wired in correctly
Old 14th July 2020, 12:26   #4
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
There's a thought - there's a couple of apps on the Playstore I might be able to use... It's definitely wired in correctly

You will likely have to use the onboard app to program the SWC. Have you tried using the keys with the setup app running as they will do nothing until they are programmed.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2020, 19:20   #5
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You will likely have to use the onboard app to program the SWC. Have you tried using the keys with the setup app running as they will do nothing until they are programmed.
Yeah after my last post I went and had a look and found the onboard app but it's not registering any button pushes. Is there a way to test the steering hardware - if I measure the resistance across the wires should it change when I press the steering buttons?
Old 14th July 2020, 21:19   #6
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Yeah after my last post I went and had a look and found the onboard app but it's not registering any button pushes. Is there a way to test the steering hardware - if I measure the resistance across the wires should it change when I press the steering buttons?

I believe Jeff (Coolcat) did just that when he got mine sorted recently and you can see the change in resistance.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2020, 06:20   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Hi,

You don't use key 1 and 2.

Just Key 1 and then a ground wire connected to the two colours that Simon mentioned.

There is usually a black loose wire on the head unit loom marked GND. Try using that instead of just grounding to earth and then try programming the head unit again.

As Pete said, you can indeed use a multimeter on the cars steering wheel wires to check they are functioning but it is likely they are ok.

Last edited by coolcat; 17th July 2020 at 06:26..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote