Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th March 2019, 12:13   #1
Steve 75

Rover 75 saloon

Default Throttle problem - maybe the throttle position sensor?

I would very much appreciate help with this problem my car has developed. I shall give the best description I can.

My car - 2006 ('55) Rover 75 Classic saloon, 2.0 diesel CDTI.

It has run perfectly fine until recently, the only thing I did between it running fine and the issues I now have was topping the tank from just over halfway to full. I was and always have been very careful to put diesel in so I know I didn't accidentally put petrol in the car, and I used a Texaco station rather than supermarket fuel.

I quickly noticed that the engine was running lumpy but that was minimised when revving up to the point that at two and a half to three thousand revs it seemed fine so I dismissed a blockage in the fuel filter, if less fuel is getting through then I would assume it wouldn't rev up.

The symptoms have now changed, it doesn't seem lumpy anymore but the engine light comes on when I first start it and sometimes I have absolutely no throttle response whatsoever, tickover is fine but put the pedal down and....nothing at all, then it sometimes picks up, or can pick up again after turning the engine off and on again, and is fine but stop at lights and some of the time it goes back to no throttle again. It appears to be more prevalent when the engine is cold, as far as I can tell, I haven't used the car much over the weekend so that is based on limited driving.

I have looked in the Haynes book and the only thing that makes sense to me is the throttle position sensor being dicky.

Please advise if anyone knows what the problem is.

I'll bob on and off the forum to see if anyone has asked any questions to clarify things, or ideally come up with a solution.

Thanks for reading this and I hope I have made sense
Steve 75 is offline   Reply With Quote