Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th December 2019, 20:20   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Catalytic converter replacement

Hello, I decided to replace my cat converter, middle 2 silencers and the exhaust manifold gaskets and I have some questions. Is it overall a hard job to replace these? Will I find any difficulties? I only bought what I said above, the 2 exhaust manifold gaskets and the 2 gaskets for the catalytic converter, is something else needed? Also is it possible to only move the manifolds about 2-3 inches out of the way to give me enough clearance to install the new gaskets or do I have to completely remove them? Thank you

Last edited by Rsnail; 10th December 2019 at 20:56..
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2019, 23:14   #2
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

I have tended to use a garage to do this type of work - due to availability of ramps etc. - but if you are doing it yourself, the support straps will of course be needed; probably better to replace as they can wear out. One thing - which model and year is this? More help if we know if it is the K series engine, if it has a turbo, or is it the 2.5 V6? With cat converter I assume it's petrol, but the different engines have different designs. Look forward to more info. cheers!
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 06:10   #3
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

It's a 2000 built 2.0 V6 which has the same cat converter as the 2.5 as far as I know. What exactly do you mean by support straps? Is it that metal plate that the cat is supported by with screws?
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2019, 07:56   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A good rule with exhaust is replace everything you can, they all will be rusted and the rubbers will be well past there best. Fitting a new piece of pipe to an old piece or mounting will usually mean you will be replacing the other part in the near future.

I know this means more expense but you wont need to be under there again for a few more years. How often do you see an exhaust held up with a piece of wire or coat hanger? If the rubbers had been replaced it would not be like that.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote