Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Members Cars For-Sale
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th November 2007, 12:46   #11
Neil Coupland
Gets stuck in

Range Rover Sport, MG TF 160 Aubergine

Just to add to this thead, we used a roof box for a number of years when the kids were smaller, briefly on a Mondeo and then for some time on a Rover 623 before the 75. With three kids we could still transport pushchairs, highchairs, games, toys and assorted other "essential" infant items and still have room for normal luggage as well.

For short trips across the channel, the luggage fits into the box leaving the boot free for the odd case or three

The advantage over a trailer is that you can still motor at (legal) speed, but of course the fuel consumption suffers a bit.

As the kids are now becoming teenagers we traded SWMBO's Metro for a Zafira
Neil Coupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 16:54   #12
Blincodave
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connie with 'Synergy' White Gold 2002 52 plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Thanks. I have a roof box from when we moved but need to get the roof bars - was wondering about the pros and cons of the two before I forked out more money. The extra space in the trailer would be nice, but the cost and parking "problems" might well be the deciding factor.

Cheers

If you plan to take a trailer to France, you will pay higher tolls on the autoroutes. Just a thought!

Dave
Blincodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 22:18   #13
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

I think the roof box is a winner!!!!!!!

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2007, 22:58   #14
andyw
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi (departed to pastures new) MGTF, MGC,

We go to France with a roof box and a trailer and three bikes strapped on the tow bar.

Although the trailer restricts you to 60mph and you can't use the third lane of the motorway (3 points beckon) most roof boxes have a recommended max speed of 70 or less.

A reasonable roofbox will double your carrying capacity. Storage might be a problem. Mine lives, complete with roof bars in the roofspace of the garage.

Andy
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 20:55   #15
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I am confused I use Turbo lister but it does not offer that or any of the current Ebay listing styles like you used

What did you use the create the listing Ross?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 22:09   #16
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I am confused I use Turbo lister but it does not offer that or any of the current Ebay listing styles like you used

What did you use the create the listing Ross?
It was just one of the built in styles from the ebay motors listing pages Keith. If you go onto ebay instead of using turbolister you'll be able to find it.
Old 8th November 2007, 22:15   #17
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blincodave View Post
If you plan to take a trailer to France, you will pay higher tolls on the autoroutes. Just a thought!

Dave
I didn't know that!

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 22:18   #18
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw View Post
We go to France with a roof box and a trailer and three bikes strapped on the tow bar.

Although the trailer restricts you to 60mph and you can't use the third lane of the motorway (3 points beckon) most roof boxes have a recommended max speed of 70 or less.

A reasonable roofbox will double your carrying capacity. Storage might be a problem. Mine lives, complete with roof bars in the roofspace of the garage.

Andy
Mine hangs off the garage door (it doesn't open as there is no space inside for the 75!! - the garage door that is, not the roof box!)

Looks like the roof box gets the overwhelming vote then

One thing against the roof box must be though that it ruins the smooth lines of the 75!!

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 08:48   #19
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
It was just one of the built in styles from the ebay motors listing pages Keith. If you go onto ebay instead of using turbolister you'll be able to find it.
I thought you would say that!
Makes me wonder why I bother with Turbo lister as it is pretty awful to use as it does not provide a proper preview of what the auction will really look like so I always end up online correcting things

WYSIWYG not.............

Perhaps I will stick my Landy up for sale as an excuse to play with the online styles!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 18:06   #20
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
One thing against the roof box must be though that it ruins the smooth lines of the 75!!
I must admit I was quite impressed with the longer Rover box on the Tourer, particularly with the invisible connections inside the bars... and can't see why it wouldnt look better on the Saloon too than the cheese-and-ham-slice shaped ones, which dont look terrribly aerodynamic!
I always think Audi and Merc estates with expensive boxes on look quite good ("ooh, they must have an interesting and cosmopolitan life") but keeping the box on would be a bit rubbish for fuel consumption. I wonder how much different, in fact...?
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote