Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th August 2019, 05:23   #1
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Garage Flooring

Hi all

Not sepcifically car related -but close. I have had a painted floor in my double garage since I bought the house 20+ years ago. They left the concrete surface rough rather than smooth and over the years I have had various floor paints on, all of which peel off fairly quickly. I used a concrete sealer to try and seal the surface before painting, which helped, but the paint still either flakes off or rubs off easily.

So.... I have decided I am going to do it properly, so that I can go in there and work (car or other related) and feel comfortable. I am either going to go for a professional 2 part epoxy / resin based flooring OR the PVC snap together tiles.

I just wanted to ask if anyone out there has done either of these and what is it like in use afterwards?

Thanks

PS if you have any pictures you can post up; that would be helpful.
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 05:56   #2
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I have the same problem. What are the snap together tiles you mention? Thanks.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 06:38   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

After several goes I gave up and purchased some interlocking plastic flooring. It can stay in place when I jack a car up. I suggest if you go this route you buy the edges so there is a smooth transition onto it. There was a deal on at the time and if my memory serves me correctly it was just over £200 and I had spent nearly that on paint.

Even the two pack paint does not seem to stick as it should, I tried acid etching and degreasing but within a few months it was starting to lift.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 07:06   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I think the problem can start with the sealer, not all are suitable for painting.

Only found this out when I did mine. For the most mine has lasted 15 or so years
and has only come off if chipped.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 07:59   #5
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
I have the same problem. What are the snap together tiles you mention? Thanks.
These are the tiles I am thinking about if I dont go for paint. https://duramat.co.uk/category/garage-flooring/
Old 29th August 2019, 08:04   #6
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Everyone dumps everything in the garage! I also can't throw anything away, so the place is full. I recently had an infestation of mice as well, so I am in the process of clearing the whole place out, disinfecting, and putting it back cleaned up. I am going to throw a whole load away as well.

While I'm in the process, I thought it would be nice to do the floor.
Old 29th August 2019, 08:21   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

If floor paints constantly peel off an interior floor, then I'd suggest the floor is slightly damp. A dry concrete floor, protected by a full damp proof membrane, will not do that. Using a plastic covering like those tiles looks like a good way to get a stable surface.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 13:21   #8
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMan View Post
These are the tiles I am thinking about if I dont go for paint. https://duramat.co.uk/category/garage-flooring/
My mate did this to replace the old Lino in his garage a couple of years back. From memory he had to do it twice as the first tiles he bought dented and split when putting anything heavy on them or jacking up the car. He ended up buy some better tiles, about 10mm thick, which give a good strong floor. Worst thing he found then was laying them. Had to use a bandsaw to cut the tiles down to size.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2019, 13:51   #9
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
My mate did this to replace the old Lino in his garage a couple of years back. From memory he had to do it twice as the first tiles he bought dented and split when putting anything heavy on them or jacking up the car. He ended up buy some better tiles, about 10mm thick, which give a good strong floor. Worst thing he found then was laying them. Had to use a bandsaw to cut the tiles down to size.
Couple of good points. The tiles in my link are about £15 per square metre, but I have seen others up to £35 per square metre. I'll probably send for some test pieces to see what they are like. Also, just assumed I would be able to cut through these fairly easily. I'll probably try that as well on the test pieces.

Thanks for the info.
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:20   #10
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi all

Just thought I would share with the forum what I decided to do in the end.

Went with plastic floor tiles from these guys https://duramat.co.uk/product/duratile-grey/ They look to be pretty good and clip togther very securely.

Biggest Job of course was emptying the junk out of the garage to do the job. I used a table saw for most of the straight cuts and a regular wood saw for most of the other cuts. Looks good and is something I have always wanted. The proof of the pudding will be when I put the car in there to work on this winter!

Some photos attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 0.jpg (136.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (123.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (124.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (124.3 KB, 91 views)