Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd January 2010, 11:21   #1
mick1961

rover 75 conn se cdt auto saloon

Default engine locked up

hi all my problem is just before christmas my wife came home from work ,the car had developed a loud knocking from around the crank pully side. i decided to have a look as i read in the forum that it could be a worn crank pully decided to turn the pully back and forth by hand but could not see anything obvious.i then tried to start the engine at first it started then just died this happend a couple of times ,the engine then just made a clicking noise and the head lights started flashing as if the engine had locked up .had it towed to a local garage the mechanic thought i could have damaged the timing chain or the tensioners ,he striped the head of removed ancillery belt ,removed timing covers he then tried to turn the crank with a spanner bearing in mind there is nothing but the gearbox stopping it from rotating it still locked up in a certain possition.he has now come back and said he thinks its a crank problem ,he also said it may not be worth investigating any further and to cut my loses. im gutted only had the car six months any ideas would be realy appreciated.ps i just wonder if it could be a auto gearbox problem thanks.

Last edited by mick1961; 23rd January 2010 at 11:38..
mick1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:38   #2
dustybin
Avid contributor

MG ZT

has he removed the head or just striped covers off etc, if it was the box you would not of been able to tow it or even move it,the only other option is to remove the sump which is not a big job really..diesel engines are a lot harder to move than petrol engines due to compression, but guessing is not really possible..
dustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:52   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Not much help to you now Mick but headlights flashing and a click is a classic sign of a flat battery. Car is designed to give this warning.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:54   #4
mick1961

yes the head as been removed ,if the box is in park would this stop the engine from being rotated.
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:57   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1961 View Post
yes the head as been removed ,if the box is in park would this stop the engine from being rotated.

Yup, park would stop the engine rotating is my understanding of the set up

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:14   #6
mick1961

cant see the mechanic making this mistake.must be a big job to change the engine he quoted £900 and 2 weeks to do the job is this a reasonable price and time span.
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:42   #7
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1961 View Post
cant see the mechanic making this mistake.must be a big job to change the engine he quoted £900 and 2 weeks to do the job is this a reasonable price and time span.
Speaking from experience the price is reasonable, the time is not. Three days maybe a week, but not 2 weeks. Unless of course he's squeezing the job into an already full work-load

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:55   #8
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Yup, park would stop the engine rotating is my understanding of the set up
Being in park won't stop the engine rotating, if it did, putting it in park would cause the engine to cut out whenever you did.

Is that £900 all inclusive of parts and labour? Surely not. Incidentally, we have a car in our workshop, the bill comes to over £12000, The guy ran it out of oil and wrecked the crankshaft. I have heard of owners going through their insurance for expensive repairs although I can't see how they can.
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:58   #9
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

So.. how was it towed to the garage ?? front wheels off the ground ? Difficult to move at all if the whole thing is seized up .
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:46   #10
mick1961

sorry it was taken on the back of a break down truck ,£900 is for labour only .i wonder if it would be more economical to have the crank out and re-ground and new bearings plus all new gasketts,can the crank be removed with the engine in the car.