Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2011, 07:27   #1
eliele
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Help needed for Steering wheel controls -IT WORKS!!

Hi, as written in the title, I'd like to know, in a definitive way, how to fit steering wheel control.
There are a lot of threads, posts..., but I could not give me a precise idea, probably because of my difficulties to fully understand your language.
I apologize to you if you propose again a topic already covered, but I have to leave in two weeks with my car (1,700 km) and have little time to fully settle the new DD.
I reassume my situation.
I had highline device (radio/tv/gps) installed in car:

and I've buyed this head unit:

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/EliEle/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/EliEle/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

Disassembled the highline, I saw that the connectors that go to highline are 2, one white and one blue, as well as another little connector that is used for the steering wheel. Now this group of connectors is no longer active, because it is disconnected at the bottom, behind the ashtray, replaced by BMW ISO connector:

the small black connector was plugged in this unit:

Thanks to the advice of many of you (Greeners, Eamonn, Mr Edd, Harry, Sean, Simondi...) I was able to install and run the DD:

but still I could not make the right connection to the steering wheel controls
Can you help me, please, step by step how to do it with a child, in simple terms to understand?
I apologize again for this topic several times covered, but maybe it can be useful for all those who have the same problem.
Thanks to everyone who helped me and those who do it again

Saro

Last edited by eliele; 26th January 2011 at 19:58..
eliele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 08:38   #2
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliele View Post

The large red connector in the above pic is where you connect the steering controls.

I don't have a Highline car but I thought the steering controls end up in the boot? I'm sure someone with Highline will clarify this for you.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 10:39   #3
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

There should be a black 6-way connector in the loom behind the monitor unit with the Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple steering wheel control cables in it. That is where they connect to the white interface box in the picture that converts them into K-Bus signals.

Last edited by raykay; 17th January 2011 at 14:29..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 21:07   #4
eliele
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
There should be a black 6-way connector in the loom behind the monitor unit with the Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple steering wheel control cables in it.
this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
That is where they connect to the white interface box in the picture that converts them into K-Bus signals.
this white interface box?
Old 17th January 2011, 21:47   #5
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

It's the Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple cables you need, it looks like they may be in that connector.
Old 18th January 2011, 07:26   #6
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

2012 Honda Oddessay and 1996 Ford Ranger Truck (Splash)

Maybe worth trawling through all my pictures here... Click Me

Maybe something in there that explains it. If so then copy and paste any of the pictures into your reply.

Edd
Old 18th January 2011, 12:16   #7
eliele
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi
thank you Edd, I saw your photos, but my system is different (it is a Hiline) and connections aren't all the same.
I made other photos of my system:

As Eamonn said, this is the connector where I must connect steering wheel controls wires, with two wires: one green and one black

And as raykay said, this is the black 6-way connector. The wires on the far right and far left are Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple. Are they the Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple steering wheel control cables?

If all above is right, how they should be connected to each other to make steering wheel controls well working?

Thanks a lot

p.s. A question for Edd (how to install wireless rear camera)
If not mistaken, the "BACK" wire (the brown one in the photo)is used to switch the display of the head unit to the rear vision. Should it be connected to the reverse lights?

Thanks

Last edited by eliele; 18th January 2011 at 12:41..
Old 18th January 2011, 13:22   #8
Datadogie
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CONNOISSEUR SE CDTi AUTO

Have a look at this post. Plenty plugs and wires here.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthrea...ght=double+din
Datadogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 13:54   #9
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliele View Post
This is the black 6-way connector. The wires on the far right and far left are Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple. Are they the Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple steering wheel control cables?

Yes that's them.

If all above is right, how they should be connected to each other to make steering wheel controls well working?
Assuming the Black cable is to Earth - Blue/Orange to Black, Blue/Purple to Green.
Old 18th January 2011, 21:42   #10
eliele
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I connected Black cable to Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple to Green, but nothing happened. Three possibility:
1) Perhaps it must to connect Black to Blue/Purple and Green to Blue/Orange; in this link -
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthrea...ght=double+din - there is a picture in which the cables are connected just like that:

even if there is another picture in which the connections are Black to Blue / Orange and Green to Blue / Purple:

what is the right connection?

2) but, if we have disconnected the original wiring and replace it with BMW ISO connector, the small black connector (where we find Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple cables) is still active? I tried to draw a picture to explain what I wrote. Correct me if I wrote a bestiality

3) I cannot do the proper setting of the steering wheel control (there's a video on the web, but refers to the old head unit, and I think is not the same thing)

Thanks to everyone for the help

Last edited by eliele; 18th January 2011 at 21:56..