Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd February 2011, 14:58   #1
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts
Question Harmony/Symphony Swap....?

Hi.
Have just done a Harmony/Symphony Swap-over.
Bought the ISO Lead that Duotone suggested.
Connected Blue/Orange cable from Loom to number 2 on Grey Block and Blue/Purple to number 3, also as per instructions.

Everything works ok, including Steering Controls.

Now here is the questions;

1) Now, when turning off the ignition key the unit switches off, as expected, but if you press the Volume Button it will switch back on even though the Ignition is off. The only way to switch it off is to press the Volume Button again. Is this right?

2) All the buttons work on the Steering Wheel but the Volume Control button, on the unit, does not effect the Volume at all, can only be adjusted via the Steering Wheel Control. Is this right?

3) When connecting the Blue/Orange & Blue/Purple to 2 & 3 respectively, how is that done exactly? I have just cut the wires at the Loom, extended them to reach the Grey ISO Block so as to connect them as stated. Is this the right method? (This is how I understood it to be done).

That's it really, other than to be honest I do not hear any great improvement in sound quality. The Symphony is an Alpine Unit, came with the Instruction Booklet & Code, and has no visable sign of damage. The Harmony unit is a Phillips.

Any input/advice greatly appreciated.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:18   #2
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

In the factory set up, Blue/Orange goes to pin 2 and Blue/Purple to pin 3, if that's how it is connected, the remote control part seems to be OK.
Sorry, I don't know about the volume control on the unit not working.

If you press the volume button with the unit switched off, it will switch on for 20 minutes.

Last edited by raykay; 2nd February 2011 at 15:34..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:22   #3
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
Hi.
Have just done a Harmony/Symphony Swap-over.
Bought the ISO Lead that Duotone suggested.
Connected Blue/Orange cable from Loom to number 2 on Grey Block and Blue/Purple to number 3, also as per instructions.

Everything works ok, including Steering Controls.

Now here is the questions;

1) Now, when turning off the ignition key the unit switches off, as expected, but if you press the Volume Button it will switch back on even though the Ignition is off. The only way to switch it off is to press the Volume Button again. Is this right?

2) All the buttons work on the Steering Wheel but the Volume Control button, on the unit, does not effect the Volume at all, can only be adjusted via the Steering Wheel Control. Is this right?

3) When connecting the Blue/Orange & Blue/Purple to 2 & 3 respectively, how is that done exactly? I have just cut the wires at the Loom, extended them to reach the Grey ISO Block so as to connect them as stated. Is this the right method? (This is how I understood it to be done).

That's it really, other than to be honest I do not hear any great improvement in sound quality. The Symphony is an Alpine Unit, came with the Instruction Booklet & Code, and has no visable sign of damage. The Harmony unit is a Phillips.

Any input/advice greatly appreciated.
Hiya. Well, i also changed from the harmony to the symphony.... I think the quality is far superior.? As for turning the radio on when the ignition is off... Yes, you can, mine is the same.... It switches itself off after about 30 minutes if left on i believe... So, it seems as if all is good.. Poppy
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:37   #4
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanks for the answers so far. I guess the unit is just faulty as far a the Volume Adjustment Switch goes......... I'll hold judgement on quality then Poppy..... Ciao.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:41   #5
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Thanks for the answers so far. I guess the unit is just faulty as far a the Volume Adjustment Switch goes......... I'll hold judgement on quality then Poppy..... Ciao.

Hiya Bill. Sorry, didn't read it properly first time.. lol. Must be faulty then i suppose if it doesn't work from the steering wheel.. Unless as you say,maybe something to do with the wiring up.? Dunno....Poppy
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:55   #6
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Hi Poppy, the Volume does work from the Steering Wheel, but not on the actual knob on the headunit.....
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:58   #7
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Hi Poppy, the Volume does work from the Steering Wheel, but not on the actual knob on the headunit.....
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.. Got it wrong again Bill.... lol. I don't know then...? Surely someone will put you right soon.. Poppy
Old 2nd February 2011, 16:13   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I believe the speakers are diff if the car is fitted with a Symphony Unit, but am not too sure.....

Likle (true) story... many years ago I was sat at some traffic lights when I suddenly heard the loud squeal of tryes on tarmac. I looked in my mirror to see a HUGE lorry, tyres smoking, coming from behind me, so I shot the lights and went left, seconds later the lorry shot across the intersection and stopped blocking it completely, seems his air brakes came on late for some reason..

Had I been listening to my radio at the time, and not heard him coming, I may well not have survived. So I never have the radio on when moving now...
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 16:24   #9
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
I believe the speakers are diff if the car is fitted with a Symphony Unit, but am not too sure.....

Likle (true) story... many years ago I was sat at some traffic lights when I suddenly heard the loud squeal of tryes on tarmac. I looked in my mirror to see a HUGE lorry, tyres smoking, coming from behind me, so I shot the lights and went left, seconds later the lorry shot across the intersection and stopped blocking it completely, seems his air brakes came on late for some reason..

Had I been listening to my radio at the time, and not heard him coming, I may well not have survived. So I never have the radio on when moving now...
Hiya James... I never changed my speakers... and mine was originally fitted with the harmony... works fine with the symphony.... Soooooooooooo, when do you have your radio on then.... Just when you have run out of petrol and waiting for the recovery man.? lol. Poppy
Old 2nd February 2011, 16:26   #10
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post

The speakers are the same but if a Symphony was factory fitted then rear tweeters were included in the package.

Sounds like your Symphony has a fault if the units volume control is not working.

Raykay has confirmed that the steering wheel control wires are the correct way round [if you connect the wires wrong way round, the volume control on the steering wheel changes the radio channel].

I am sure you will find the quality improved with the Symphony and as another upgrade, try fitting a pair of rear tweeters..

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote