Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th February 2011, 13:41   #1
rfenwick

Saloon 2.5 V6 Club

Default Hi Line screen blank

Hi,

I have a hi line mk III - the screen went off overnight one night during winter, and has remained consistently blank ever since. The backlight is visibly on when I'm driving along in the dark, but there is nothing on the screen at all. By pressing menu followed by the big button, I can make the screen backlight go off, which suggests the unit itself is operating, but the screen is blank.

I've tried a few things:

- Waiting. I know these screens can misbehave in the cold. Today it's 13 degrees but still no joy

- Safe shut down of the system, then car battery disconnected for an hour. This didn't fix anything, but the radio as still tuned to the station I left it on when the ignition was switched off. Makes me wonder if I should have left power off for longer

- gently jiggling the cables going in to the units in the boot while the system was running - not a flicker of life on screen

- Checking the spare wheel bay for any indications of water ingress, of which there are none

The radio still works fine, though obviously operating it blind is not ideal. The CD unit died a year ago, and was disconnected and removed then.

Any wisdom as to what to do next? Even details of a garage who could take an informed look ( I'm in the Essex/Suffolk area ) would be brilliant

Thanks,

Robin

Last edited by rfenwick; 5th February 2011 at 13:44.. Reason: More info
rfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 14:01   #2
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Rfenwick, I can tell you are waiting with baited breath here for assistance but at the risk of sticking my neck out if you have nothing on the screen (ie no radio/cassette/CD display and no sat nav or TV I would hesitate to say that the common denominator here is the head display unit itself or the loom to it. I appreciate you have this backlight you are talking about but that may be a separate issue to actually getting an info display on the screen. If it were me I would consider the head unit first. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 14:18   #3
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Sounds like the video module (Boot well silver box on left side) is damp / faulty.

It controls all the graphics for the head unit which is basically a display.

I'd start by popping it somewhere warm for 48 hours.

Then if that doesn't work, follow the shut down procedure and remove the satnav drive and do the same thing.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 14:46   #4
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Sounds like the video module (Boot well silver box on left side) is damp / faulty.

It controls all the graphics for the head unit which is basically a display.

I'd start by popping it somewhere warm for 48 hours.

Then if that doesn't work, follow the shut down procedure and remove the satnav drive and do the same thing.
Greeners - just had a look through my servicing CD and noted that the video module is to quote -"primarily for the TV and also has a backup graphics unit to enable the radio/cassette and CD to display" - so I agree with your view.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 16:09   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I still have for sale my fully working when removed Hi-line head unit and the boot mounted TV receiver - should you be interested, they are in the for sale section of the site. Make an offer for either or both, if you need replacements.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 17:41   #6
rfenwick

Saloon 2.5 V6 Club

I'll give the drying out procedure a go - Harry, couldn't find your ad but if I need it I'll look harder.

Thanks guys
Old 16th July 2011, 16:08   #7
rfenwick

Saloon 2.5 V6 Club

No luck drying out - how feasible is it to remove the hi line head unit and replace it with something that would take a 'normal' sized radio? I very much like the look of the Parrot Asteroid

R

PS apologies for my spectacular ignorance in use of the word 'normal'
Old 16th July 2011, 18:17   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

You can reasonably easily fit one of Sean's DD units instead of the Hi-line, so there is no reason why you could not install something more basic. You will need to extend the radio antenna from the boot wheel well, to the back of any alternative radio you fit.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote