Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th November 2012, 12:13   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Hifi advice needed

I've been looking for a new HiFi on and off for nearly a year now (in fact, see here)

The hunt is on again, and I've spotted stuff from Cambridge Audio which looks good, in particular the NP30 Network Music Player

Thing is, I want a whole system (by "whole" I mean CD player, amplifier and speakers - I have no need for a turntable, tape deck or radio) and the NP30 is simply a streaming device. What I like the look of is the matching Cambridge Audio Sonata CD30v2 CD player and, also needing an amp, either the CA AR30 or CA DR30+ (both at £249 from Richer Sounds) although an amp minus a receiver would be preferable.

So, around £400 for the NP30, £150 for the CD30 and £250 for the AR/DR30 = £800 before I've even looked at speakers!

What I'm interested to know is if anyone has any experience of any of the above (or Cambridge Audio in general) and especially if there's anywhere I can get them cheaper! Or even if there's a good separates system that CA do (or maybe someone else does) that would give me the CD, amp and speakers for less and still allow me to get the NP30 working with them?

Any advice from any audiophiles would be appreciated!

Last edited by uk_dave&gill; 8th November 2012 at 09:57..
uk_dave&gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 12:21   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

i have used cambridge audio stuff for years its all good stuff.using mission speakers at the mo.which i have had years.as for source look up richer sounds .they no there stuff and are good on price
Old 4th November 2012, 13:06   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Cheers Phil!

Need a good basic system to add the streamer to - wonder what else they have (goes off to look!)
Old 4th November 2012, 13:09   #4
Pauly
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5 V6 with a Rottey asleep in the back...

Nothing wrong with Cambridge products, just one bit of advice...
let your ears decide, you wouldn't but a car with out test driving it,
AS for Richer...yeah ok,they have their place... but try a good Hi Fi dealer
look for BADA signs,British Audio Dealers association,they wont see you wrong,
thanks
Paul
3rd White Gold Rover 600 2.0l si ,...
Other Car Marine Blue Dodge Caliber 2.0 ltr Sport Auto SXT.
Membership No: 001 118
This vehicle was the 17th 75 Tourer in Cimarron Green to be made out of 161 Cimarron Green 75 Tourers
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 14:54   #5
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

I get what you mean about test driving the kit, although I do wonder if I could tell the difference between a lot of stuff!

Been looking at more of the streaming stuff, and spotted the Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Thought this looked good, with a possibility of getting it first to use on the old system, whilst continuing to search for a new one. Then I discovered that the whole Squeezebox range, server, and support have just been dropped! Oh well!
Old 4th November 2012, 19:20   #6
FredSpencer
Passed Away

Typhoon ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
I get what you mean about test driving the kit, although I do wonder if I could tell the difference between a lot of stuff!

Take your own CDs to listen to, stuff you know well, and you will hear the differences.
FredSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 19:38   #7
Godfer
Posted a thing or two

Seafrost 75

Above all listen...don't just buy on price! Now't wrong with Richer Sounds per se...as long as they offer a proper demo (that is in a dedicated room, not on the shop floor - with the components you are interested in...not your chosen CD, Amp, Speakers through other components). If not, I implore you to find another dealer who will!!! Take along your own music, relax and listen. Trust your ears! You are making a big investment...ensure you do all possible to get it as you want!

HiFi is wonderfully rewarding, get it right and your music will 'sing' for you, providing such wonderful pleasure. Good luck and keep us informed.

A lovely Seafrost 1.8T
Godfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 19:56   #8
Godfer
Posted a thing or two

Seafrost 75

I do wonder if I could tell the difference between a lot of stuff!

You will! A good (independent?) dealer will meet your needs...offering kit\components to suit! They are dedicated enthusiasts who will want their customers to be happy (a happy customer is a repeat customer - when you appreciate quality music reproduction, you will seek further gains, it is addictive!)

A good dealer may not necessarily compete directly on price, but will excel in 'added value' - proper advice is priceless! A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing - we drive Rovers remember!

I can readily recommend Doug Brady HiFi in Warrington - brilliant enthusiasts who will not 'sell' you a system, but offer a solution to meet you need.

Good luck

A lovely Seafrost 1.8T
Old 4th November 2012, 22:34   #9
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Looks like I'm going to have to go and listen to some then! Must admit I don't think I'll be good at it, as I'm not good at any sort of shopping, even popping into a corner shop, let alone interacting with actual salespeople....!

I see what you mean about the investment of a fair amount of dosh, and repeat custom, although at my average rate of Hi-Fi buying, I'll be getting the next one in 2032 and that's more than likely to be my last!
Old 5th November 2012, 06:03   #10
Godfer
Posted a thing or two

Seafrost 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to go and listen to some then! Must admit I don't think I'll be good at it, as I'm not good at any sort of shopping, even popping into a corner shop, let alone interacting with actual salespeople....!

I see what you mean about the investment of a fair amount of dosh, and repeat custom, although at my average rate of Hi-Fi buying, I'll be getting the next one in 2032 and that's more than likely to be my last!
Dave,

Given the time you intend to keep and use the system getting it right is paramount. As for any concerns you may have over the actual shop and listen, a good dealer will advise you (after talking with you) and offer system components to suit your need and music. Tell them about your listening room (dimensions, layout, furniture etc) and allow them to make suggestions. Then sit back, listen and enjoy. Remember, you don't have to decide immediately (although you'll no doubt be itching to get any new system home); take your time, listen to different components and combinations - over a number of visits if necessary!

A good dealer should allow you evaluate any prospective purchase at home before you fully commit...after all, it has to sound good in your home!

A lovely Seafrost 1.8T