Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th January 2020, 13:09   #1
Yannage
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Default New to the forum - a few questions

Hi all, I've been lurking these forums the past few weeks whilst deciding whether to purchase a Rover 75. What I've been reading has definitely helped and convinced me to put a deposit down ready for pickup in a few weeks. The car:

- 2004 Rover 75 Saloon CDTI connoisseur 2.0L
- 62,000 miles on clock
- Diesel automatic
- colour Blue
- Price = £1,495

I'll happily admit that I know very little about cars having not driven for around a decade but there were some minor issues I picked up on and wanted to get the thoughts of this very knowledgeable forum.

- The boot won't open (no key access) however I've agreed with the dealership this should be fixed before I pick the car up.
- there is a sunroof which has a build up of water on the inside. This doesn't seem to be dripping but rather stuck onto the window.
- the parking sensors don't currently work. I've asked that they look into how much that would cost to sort out.
- some parts of the fabric have a small amount of mould/mildew

Generally the car is in good condition. There are a few knocks on the boot side and a few scratches but all in all nothing I feel I can complaint about for that price (apart from the boot obviously).

Is there anything there I need to be seriously concerned about? any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Yannage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 13:27   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Read this ...

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=125864

and this ...

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=62376

Check the sunroof drains are not blocked and/or detached where they join in the footwells which could be the cause of the damp and mould. Check the carpets for dampness, they can hold an awful lot of water that can take a long time to dry out even if removed to air. The rear lights are also known to leak into the boot so once the dealership gets the boot open check the spare wheel well for water as this can flood into the car as well.
Parking sensors aren't generally a big deal and if you do purchase i would suggest the 160 map as it will transform the way the car drives.

Sure there will be more knowledgable people along soon with other things to look at.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 13:32   #3
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

All of the niggles are simple repairs/fiddling etc. I’m off to work now so can’t expand on that. It’s all on the forum or from the many experts when they reply. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 13th January 2020, 13:35   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

rear suspension, upper arms are known to rust.
The ECU sits in a plenum, just like a well. make sure drain holes are not blocked.
If there is no key access for the boot then it is opened by a second and long press of the fob, same button as unlocking the doors.

welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the car

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 13:40   #5
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Welcome to the fountain of knowledge concerning our cars.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 13:41   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

If the Farsley is in Leeds, suggest when you take delivery, to pop along to BigRuss in Liversedge Top man for our cars
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 13:43   #7
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Con SE, Range Rover P38 4.6 for my Russian winter home

Location: France Feb to October/Sevastopol Crimea November to Jan

Welcome to the forum, I don't want to get off on the wrong foot but are you sure this is the75 for you?
When I bought my 75 5 years ago from a dealer, I paid a lot less that what you are going to outlay for a 20 ltr Con SE 1 owner with 70000mls and full service history and immaculate with none of the issues you are going to take on. These are a great motor and you will enjoy driving it. I am just about to take mine to the south of France again for the 4th time.

If you want a 75 I would maybe just look a little bit more before parting with that much. I am sure other members will come on this but this is just my opinion. Why buy with issues and mould??

Hope this helps.
Gunnerhavesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 13:46   #8
Yannage
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
If the Farsley is in Leeds, suggest when you take delivery, to pop along to BigRuss in Liversedge Top man for our cars
it certainly is! From what I've seen, Big Russ can do wonders with these? I'll certainly look into this over the next few weeks.

thanks all for comments so far. I've got some knowledge building to do but all very helpful.
Old 13th January 2020, 13:50   #9
Yannage
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerhavesome View Post
Welcome to the forum, I don't want to get off on the wrong foot but are you sure this is the75 for you?
When I bought my 75 5 years ago from a dealer, I paid a lot less that what you are going to outlay for a 20 ltr Con SE 1 owner with 70000mls and full service history and immaculate with none of the issues you are going to take on. These are a great motor and you will enjoy driving it. I am just about to take mine to the south of France again for the 4th time.

If you want a 75 I would maybe just look a little bit more before parting with that much. I am sure other members will come on this but this is just my opinion. Why buy with issues and mould??

Hope this helps.
you make some fair points. The reality is that I am absolutely desperate for a car given the state of first buses, having moved from near the centre of Leeds to the outskirts. Having looked around for my budget, I simply fell in love with this car. As you say, there are issues, but I'm willing to put in some work and hopefully get those resolved! If it goes disastrously wrong then I'm not going to be too upset at that price.
Old 13th January 2020, 14:00   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

To get the build details of your car, pop the VIN in here
http://www.mg-rover.info/get_info.htm
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote