Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th February 2020, 16:30   #1
admiralalcatraz
Avid contributor

2000 Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE/ 2004 Rover 75 Contemporary T 1.8T / 2005/55 Rover 75 Classic T

Default M47 issues.....

Ok, I am not proud to admit this but, as well as my 3 lovely Rovers, my daily car is a [INSERT GERMAN CAR BRAND HERE] 320CD*, with the M47TUD20 engine. Essentially the same engine as the ZT/75. I am having a few issue with it, I know I should really go across to the [INSERT GERMAN CAR BRAND HERE] forum. But quite frankly the reception there is nothing like the atmosphere here. Everyone is really quite rude to each other (Not that BM drivers dont already have a reputation for it). I figured it was worth an ask here first....

I have an oil 'leak', but not a normal one, if I park with the passenger side higher than the drivers, I get an small pool of oil from the bottom of the inter cooler pipe and I get quite a lot of blue smoke when I draw away cold which then clears. Which shows there is oil in the intake system, my first conclusion was it was the turbo seals, however once the initial oil has burnt off I get no smoke, even at full boost with my foot to the floor.

I know these engines are known for breather issues for both the turbo and the crank case, so I want to make sure this isnt the issues first before I spend £1m on a turbo for it....

Anyone that can help I will be truly grateful....

*The German car in question is a 55 plate 320Cd I paid £200 with 10 months MOT last year..... Hard to say no really....
admiralalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 16:42   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Mmmm, different turbo to ours, and nowhere near as bulletproof.

It does sound like leaking turbo oil seals along with a leak on the intercooler pipe or connection, but as you say, check for any PCV problems first.

There really isn't anywhere else that oil can get into the intercooler from other than the turbo, unless it is carried over from the PCV.

How much oil is it using?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 16:44   #3
admiralalcatraz
Avid contributor

2000 Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE/ 2004 Rover 75 Contemporary T 1.8T / 2005/55 Rover 75 Classic T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Mmmm, different turbo to ours, and nowhere near as bulletproof.
To be honest, I had considered selling it and getting a nice 75/ZT diesel.... Seems to be quite a void, either dirt cheap and really rough or really clean and tidy and a fortune.....
admiralalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2020, 21:25   #4
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Well it may be worth changing the PCV just to rule it out, it's cheap and easy after all.
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote