Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th February 2020, 20:39   #1
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

Default where not to break down

Hi, the adventures of my MG ZT continue - after the marathon journey to Basel in Switzerland and back last December, I had done not too many miles but all seemed well. I had to go collect some vintage hi fi from a guy in South Wales, so I set out late morning and drove down via M5 and found the place, paid for and picked up the hi fi and started off home. All well until I got to the M5/M6 junction, heading north - it was just after 6pm, so busy... I pulled into the middle lane when I could and then; the engine cut out - engine management light came on and I rolled to a halt in the middle lane. Just opposite the RAC control centre! It would not restart, so I called the AA and said it was an emergency as I was parked somewhere slightly dangerous (!!) - the Police came after some minutes, closed off the road behind me and rolled the MG ZT off into a safe place. The AA were not arriving and mobile signal was awful, so after about 30 mins I tried starting the engine - and it roared into life perfectly. Right - I drove at 30 mph along the slow lane to see what would happen - after a mile and a half or so, on comes the engine management light, the engine cuts and I steer the car into the hard shoulder lane in front of some bollards for protection. Called the AA again - better mobile signal, and I ended up flat bedded to Hilton Park Services where the AA man did a diagnostic - and found it was the crankshaft sensor at fault. We ended up being 'relayed' back home, and my local garage just replaced said sensor today. But what a place to break down, eh? Apparently when the engine is cold the crankshaft sensor works OK, but as soon as it warms up it goes wrong. I had one of those go on an old Mazda a few years ago, so worth people noting this as a potential fault.
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2020, 23:58   #2
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

I have come across this on any car, with either the cam or the crank sensor.

The sensor fails when it gets hot, it's down to thermal overload when the sensor gets weak.
Really sorry you had the break down, but I wouldn't call it that out of the ordinary for any car.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote