Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th September 2018, 12:09   #51
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts
Default ITV What car to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickoshea View Post
around my part of London and indeed I can identify two 50kw charging points within a mile and lots of 7kw units.

!

That’s the issue with electric vehicles, fine for London and other big cities ( No surprise there) absolutely useless for those living in rural areas, it winds me up how the governments go on and on about leaving the car at home and taking the bus or train.

Great if you have the benefit of a tube station on your doorstep, I’d like to get a few of these ministers to get to a place of work outside a big city on shift work using public transport. It’s impossible.
Old 20th September 2018, 13:20   #52
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

[QUOTE=ziggy72;2670585]6000 miles for free but 67-80k to buy the car.[/QUOT

Not true list price for entry level is £63,495. Once you deduct the Government bung for buying electric the price to pay is a very reasonable £58,995. Even selecting paint, sun roof, HUD and a few other toys it come to a still reasonable £65,000. At my age I have decided that if I don't waste my money, the kids and Taxman will. Even better way to view it, is if you are likely to pay Death Duty at 40% then anything you spend is getting a 40% discount from the government so the price drops to £39,000 - marvellous.
Old 20th September 2018, 13:25   #53
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
That’s the issue with electric vehicles, fine for London and other big cities ( No surprise there) absolutely useless for those living in rural areas, it winds me up how the governments go on and on about leaving the car at home and taking the bus or train.

Great if you have the benefit of a tube station on your doorstep, I’d like to get a few of these ministers to get to a place of work outside a big city on shift work using public transport. It’s impossible.
My brother lives in Norfolk and indeed visiting him is the only journey that would be difficult as I could find no charging points within 5 miles of his home. However never forget that the word "civilisation" id derived from the Greek for life in Cities!
Old 20th September 2018, 13:29   #54
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
I think you'll find that $35000 is the price for the whole car, not for a replacement battery pack. And that's before any incentives.

On the topic of replacement battery costs, two things to consider:
1. It is possible to replace individual battery cells, rather than an entire pack.
2. For a five/eight year old used car, how is this any more unacceptable than replacing a DPF/turbo/belt kit etc? Bearing in mind that an EV with diminished range is still usable, whereas a ZT+ with a broken timing belt means a junked engine ...

Certainly the Jaguar techie at the I pace launch event I attended, did say the major problem with battery packs is the failure of the odd cell or cell pack. The I pace monitors all he cells and reports defective units that can then be replaced by your friendly dealer quickly and cheaply!
Old 20th September 2018, 13:39   #55
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
And at least £5000 every 3 to 4 years to replace the batteries.

And let's not forget, once(if) electric power takes off, it'll mean that more power stations will have to be built to cope with demand, and tariffs will skyrocket as a result.

Why do you think diesels are getting such a bad press lately? Guarantee you it's got nothing to do with emissions. It's because more people started buying them over petrol cars, meaning they spent less time at the pumps, meaning the government started losing money.
I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man but are you suggesting that the Government persuaded VW to cheat omissions test to blacken the diesels? Also don't want to spoil your theory but Government taxes on fuels are up some 200% over the last 10 years.

Also the case against diesels get reinforced daily. They have found soot in the placentas of mothers living in polluted inner cities leading to premature births and possible intellectual impairment in the children. They are now also suggesting that the increase in Dementia cases over the last few decades could also be linked to diesel soot. I am so glad I never bought one of these poisonous vehicles and think they should all be banned ASAP!
Old 20th September 2018, 13:41   #56
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy72 View Post
6000 miles for free but 67-80k to buy the car.
Not true list price for entry level is £63,495. Once you deduct the Government bung for buying electric the price to pay is a very reasonable £58,995. Even selecting paint, sun roof, HUD and a few other toys it come to a still reasonable £65,000. At my age I have decided that if I don't waste my money, the kids and Taxman will. Even better way to view it, is if you are likely to pay Death Duty at 40% then anything you spend is getting a 40% discount from the government so the price drops to £39,000 - marvellous.

Which car are you talking about? That's Model S/Model X/I-Pace territory. EDIT Apologies, I see you were talking about the I-Pace.

The Model 3 hasn't made it to this side of the Atlantic yet and the first ones will be the top-spec versions at around £40k, but the lower spec ones with the 220 mile range are expected to be under £32k OTR when they arrive here in the latter half of 2019. Assuming that sterling doesn't collapse vs the dollar in the meantime ...
A Nigerian mother of three

Last edited by andymc; 20th September 2018 at 13:43..
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 14:22   #57
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Quote:
I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next man but are you suggesting that the Government persuaded VW to cheat omissions test to blacken the diesels? Also don't want to spoil your theory but Government taxes on fuels are up some 200% over the last 10 years.

Also the case against diesels get reinforced daily. They have found soot in the placentas of mothers living in polluted inner cities leading to premature births and possible intellectual impairment in the children. They are now also suggesting that the increase in Dementia cases over the last few decades could also be linked to diesel soot. I am so glad I never bought one of these poisonous vehicles and think they should all be banned ASAP!
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/diese...llution-tests/

Petrol cars haven't got away with it either. Remember the lean burn engine? Proven to be more efficient than the catalytic converter, yet the government chose the cat instead because they could make more money. Same with diesels - They're getting more efficient, so up pop the suits again.