Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th September 2018, 22:52   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Norway and Sweden

I'm considering driving to Sweden, via Denmark and Norway in my 135000 mile KV6 2-litre manual. Anyone done this, and any advice?

Reason is to collect a vintage Rover engine. Shipping is possible but I know from experience that the cost of getting freight through customs and delivered home is more than the cost of shipping; it will be as cheap to collect and have a bit of a holiday, so long as the Rover is reliable!
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 00:43   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I have a work mate who has done this trip a few times as he has relatives that live there. He reckons the biggest problem is to make sure you are well fuelled up. Apparently petrol stations in some of the remote areas can be few are far between and seem to close early if you are traveling late in the day. He always carries a fuel can.

On the plus side he reckons the locals are very friendly, he got a puncture and within a few mins somebody had pulled over to offer assistance.

Had you thought about collecting it from the importers if you get it shipped? I have done that with a gearbox from the States, saved me about £100. If it is used make sure you get a validated receipt for what you have paid or UK customs will charge you what they think it is worth.

Last edited by SCP440; 19th September 2018 at 00:47..
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 02:54   #3
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Not aware on any ferries that run from the UK to Denmark, and certainly not Sweden. DFDS freight used to take some private cars and owners but think they no longer do that service.

There’s no customs between UK and Sweden (not yet).

Certainly a good idea to carry a spare can if motoring at night or just ensure that you don't let the fuel level get too low. Don’t leave it too late in the year as it’s not unknown for us in my area to get snow in October. Winter tyres are mandatory 1st Dec - 31st March period. Much depends on the location of the engine, Sweden is a very long country, climate in the north can be totally different to down south.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 07:23   #4
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Usual precautions, carry water, blankets, spare fuel, spare oil, spare OAT.

Oh and very good breakdown cover

I recently did a 2,500ish round trip in my now 181k 2.5 KV6 in scorching hot conditions, it only broke down once because of a bad bodge job a previous owner had done.

Do remember you can't take a fuel can on the ferry so buy one on the other side.
Old 19th September 2018, 08:20   #5
Outlaw 41
Loves to post

MG ZT

Out of curiosity what vintage Rover engine is it ?
Outlaw 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2018, 08:44   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

When I worked for a Swedish company we used Schenker for transporting gearboxes and other machinery.

No idea as to the costs, but might be worth ringing them to get a quote.

https://www.dbschenker.com/global/products
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 10:49   #7
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Thank you all for your comments and advice.
The engine is an incomplete 1929 Rover 2-litre engine wanted to complete a project (not mine) in the UK. It has been suggested I collect it rather than try to arrange shipping. In my experience, the cost of getting a crate (from Australia) off the ship through customs and delivered home cost as much as the cost of packing, transport to the docks and shipping to the UK, and there will likely be customs in place when I make the trip.

As it can also combine with holiday visits to Copenhagen and Oslo, it does look a viable proposition. There is no reason why the car should breakdown, I've just done the belts and will of course check brakes and tyres, but as mentioned, good breakdown cover is essential, and should it happen best be on the return journey! The final destination is the east coast of Sweden.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 12:35   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

East coast of Sweden ... curious as that's where I am but it's a very long coastline, where exactly?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2018, 13:28   #9
Organiser

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Not aware on any ferries that run from the UK to Denmark, and certainly not Sweden. DFDS freight used to take some private cars and owners but think they no longer do that service.Regards

Yes, done that a few years back, no longer allowed due to immigration rule changes I was told when I asked earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
Do remember you can't take a fuel can on the ferry so buy one on the other side.
Hi,

Sorry, you can take a fuel can on the ferry but it must be empty, so you just need to fill it up the other side!

Regards,

Tom.
Old 20th September 2018, 16:47   #10
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

I thought Fred Olsen ran to Denmark? Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote