Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th November 2021, 19:07   #1
R2G2

Rover75

Default Rover 75 Connie Diesel Tourer manual facelift won't start

I need some help and will be grateful for any suggestions that will help me get my Rover 75 Diesel Tourer back on the road. It’s a 2004 post facelift Connie model.

It won’t start and I’ve tried all the basic and obvious things but first, a little history

Over the last 6 - 7 months there have been a few very isolated occasions when the revs would drop away a little bit at idle but immediately pick up again to the normal, very steady idle speed of 750 rpm. Two weeks ago this changed and there was a noticeable hesitation and drop off in revs for a second or 2 while driving. Fortunately this was close to home and it was fine for the remaining short distance. I parked on the drive where it idled and responded to the accelerator perfectly normally. I switched off with the intention of having a closer look the next morning.

Next morning and it wouldn’t start. The battery is only a few months old and it turned over without any problem. Instrument panel indications are normal and there are no error messages on the computer display.

So far:

I’ve swapped the cam and crank position sensors for known good ones.

I’ve swapped the rail pressure switch for a known good one.

Both LP pumps appear to be working satisfactorily, there is strong flow from the filter and the return line from the pump.

I’ve swapped the injectors for some recently tested ones.

I’ve swapped the high pressure pump for a known good one.

I’ve slaved in an injector loom from the injectors to the ECU.

I've checked as far as I can with a multimeter using the HP fuel system checking guide on this site and voltages/ resistances all seem OK.

I’ve put my pscan onto it and it consistently gives P0201 - P0204 errors, sometimes 2 cylinders, sometimes 3 cylinders and sometimes all 4. These are injector circuit malfunction codes.

During the last 2 weeks there was an occasion when it ran very badly with lots of white smoke and today, after fitting the HP pump it seems to want to start and emits some white smoke from the exhaust.

If I spray some Quickstart into the air intake it will run for a few seconds.

Am I missing something? Is it the ECU, are these symptoms typical of an ECU failure? If so is there anybody out there who could check it? I’m in the Grantham area but could take it out and mail it if necessary.

I really want to get this car going again, and really need to as it’s blocking the drive and preventing me getting other cars out of the garage. If I can't it will be on it's way to the scrapyard, which would be a shame as it's only done 120 thousand. So, as I said at the start, any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Last edited by R2G2; 26th November 2021 at 19:09.. Reason: Addition to title
R2G2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 19:13   #2
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

BigRuss can your test your ECU.
I posted mine to him and he looked at it very speedily. A real great bloke.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 19:31   #3
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Injector wiring harness/loon faulty ?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2021, 19:52   #4
R2G2

Rover75

Another Clean Sheet Thanks for the very prompt reply, I have sent BigRuss a PM.

Yorkshire GOC Also thanks for a very prompt reply. That's something I'd thought about and I tried a loom from another car without it making any difference. There are separate leads for each injector and the loom has a separate plug into the ECU so it's easy(ish) to remove. I will be checking this again tomorrow, as I found some information about injector circuits earlier today, to see what voltages, if any, I'm getting at the injector plugs.
Old 26th November 2021, 21:05   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Injector load drop caused by the ecu.
Old 27th November 2021, 18:01   #6
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

If you need a new ECU PM Big Russ he will be able to sort you out.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2021, 19:31   #7
R2G2

Rover75

Yorkshire GOC and Trikey Thanks for the guidance/information. I've spoken with BigRuss and the ECU is going to him next week for test and repair/replacement as necessary. During the conversation BigRuss mentioned that he'd seen these fault codes before and it was a ECU problem. I should have it back on Friday next week. I'll have my fingers crossed that everything works OK when it's refitted.