Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th October 2021, 17:48   #31
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

THIS, from Screwfix is an effortless lift (for the car). It certainly is not effortless to lift (the jack) lol, at nearly 40kgs!

However, they are regularly on sale at Screwfix for around £80, the quick lift refers to lifting the cup to the lifting point.

I only bought it because it was on offer, and couldnt resist. But I will say it again, it is heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Please, would you be good enough to explain why when the car weight is 1530 kg if lifted off all 4 wheels?
.....because it was on offer lol. Seriously though, I could live with and do use my 1.5 more often, however, it does feel like it is straining more than the 3 tonne one. The three tonne one is capable of reaching the central jacking point, and also lifts the car slightly higher if required, most 3 tonnes seem to have that extra few inches in lift.

More importantly though, to me (fact or not), this 'straining' feels like the seals being pushed to their limit. The 3 tonne means the seals have a huge margin of before they could be expected to fail. Plus the one I bought, seems to lift easier, but that is more likely down to geometry rather than anything else.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 18:23   #32
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Please, would you be good enough to explain why when the car weight is 1530 kg if lifted off all 4 wheels?

Please would you be good enough to explain how you have come to the conclusion that the trolley jack will only be used to lift a 1530 kg car
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 19:26   #33
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
Please would you be good enough to explain how you have come to the conclusion that the trolley jack will only be used to lift a 1530 kg car
lol, especially when some are 1570kgs

Old 15th October 2021, 22:32   #34
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
Equally, how do you know that the OP's need would be satisfied by a 3T jack and that he is not intending to lift something which requires a 10T lifting capability?

On this forum, it is reasonable to assume that a person seeking input is going to lift a car, and more specifically a car that is nominally the weight of a Rover 75. I am not aware of any car that requires a 3T jack. A person would only need a 2.5T jack if wanting to lift a Range Rover V8 off all four wheels.

For cars, a 2T device will be more than enough. If you look at CJ Auto circa £500 hydraulic ramps, they are rathed at either 0.9T or 1.3T!

It is not helpful to give advice which implies that a 3T jack is necessary unless this is qualified with additional information.

Build quality is often more important than claimed size!

Last edited by MSS; 15th October 2021 at 22:39..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2021, 22:35   #35
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
lol, especially when some are 1570kgs

That is the same as 1540kg when reasonable account is taken of tolerances
Old 16th October 2021, 00:22   #36
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
That is the same as 1540kg when reasonable account is taken of tolerances
Well true, especially if you are considering 1510kg also

But you have actually answered your original question though. It does give a theoretical greater tolerance, therefore theoretical margin of safety besides, if a
2 tonne jack goes up to 10, a 3 tonne will go to 11

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06155735_these-go-to-eleven-2.jpg (37.9 KB, 63 views)

Old 16th October 2021, 07:45   #37
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post

But you have actually answered your original question though. It does give a theoretical greater tolerance, therefore theoretical margin of safety besides, if a
2 tonne jack goes up to 10, a 3 tonne will go to 11

Not necessarily. A well built 2T jack is more likely to have a greater long-term FOS than a not so well built 3T device. The same applies to axle stands.

With so much rubbish on the market these days, claiming large numbers, quality of welds etc. becomes far more important than the claimed numbers.

I actually have a 3T Sealey alongside my high-lift 2.25T Sealey. I normally use the 2.25T because the high-lift capability is far more useful.
Old 16th October 2021, 12:08   #38
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Not necessarily. A well built 2T jack is more likely to have a greater long-term FOS than a not so well built 3T device. The same applies to axle stands.

With so much rubbish on the market these days, claiming large numbers, quality of welds etc. becomes far more important than the claimed numbers.

I actually have a 3T Sealey alongside my high-lift 2.25T Sealey. I normally use the 2.25T because the high-lift capability is far more useful.
What brand is your well made jack :p

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Old 16th October 2021, 17:51   #39
MSS
This is my second home

One 3T I own is an Arcan steel version. Didn't get used much as it is large and heavy so stored in garage at sisters in London. Have not found the need for its 3T lifting capacity. It will find a use now with the XF-S because the bodykit makes the use of the low-profile saddle a necessity.

The one I use all the time is a Sealey 1025HL - only 2.25T but lifts really high to 535mm so is ideal for use with the centre lifting points on the Rovers. This is all the capacity I have needed despite having an Omega estate which weighs 1770Kg which is quite a bit heavier than the 75.

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563...er-rocket-lift

I would guess the Halfords Advance jack is similar to the Arcan.

Note - I am not saying that there is something wrong with any of the jacks recommended. All I am saying is that a 3T capacity is definitely not required unless a person intends to lift a van or a large 4x4 such as a Range Rover. A 2T jack is perfectly fine. I would put my money on build quality, a known make and high lift capability rather than lift capacity.

As for a 3T jack having greater FOS than a 2T - that cannot be assumed. It all depends on the design FOS and construction.

I also have a Sealey 1153CX here which is a 3T jack but does not lift as high as the 1025HL. It doesn't get used much either as the 1025HL is much more versatile.

This is turning out to be almost as interesting as the old 'which is the best engine oil' threads!

Last edited by MSS; 16th October 2021 at 19:46..
Old 16th October 2021, 20:36   #40
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
This is turning out to be almost as interesting as the old 'which is the best engine oil' threads!
lol

not for me. I do not really care, I have my preferences and needs to which I apply - in both my choices, it was about timing. They each were on offer, and represented great value, Particularly when compared to the Sealey and Clarke labeled versions (and I mean labeled versions rather than equivalent!).

These jacks are all identical bar the label to one of mine (I cannot find a picture of mine)

LINK

LINK

SGS perhaps?

LINK

the sole feature that is different is the Lidl/Parkside/Ultimate Speed or whatever it is on its label lol. Very well made, and relatively cheap at around £70. Ultimately they are all made in the same factory with the appropriate label applied, including the Clarke and Sealey.

But since I am normally only lifting one quarter to one half of the car at any time, 1.5 tonne is adequate - today I used it to lift the exhaust into position after I cut off the tail pipes, it looks cool innit bruv lol (actually getting a stainless one fitted on Tuesday, and wanted to make sure I retained the OEM chrome tail pipes).

The 3 Tonne Hilka also had a Sealey and Clarke equivalent.

The problem is determining the quality prior to purchase/use. Going by brand, no longer is any guarantee of quality, since a number of the 'affordable' non trade rated jacks come from the same factories nowadays. My choices were made based primarily on the fact they were on offer at the time, with the 3 tonne Hilka being more than my imagined needs (ever), however, if it proved to be a lower quality/standard, the fact that it came from a reputable supplier (Screwfix) and a claimed rated 3 tonne, gave me a large margin for error for my intended and expected use. It had an extra level of height compared to what I had, which made lifting it high enough to use all levels of my axle stands (not recommending this), and to be able to lift it at the rear, without whilst allowing me to rest my stands under a secure point (the previous jacks all got in the way of this).

If there was a 1.5 or 2 tonne with the height, whilst on a similar offer, (at least a third less than normal price or a known previously British brand), I would have likely have bought them instead lol.

Incidentally, the Lidl 1.5 tonne jack 'feels' nicer made in terms of construction, paint and materials, but it does feel the strain when at its limit. Whilst the Hilka, is not as nicely finished, it effortlessly lifts the corner (and due to its chassis stiffness, the side), all the way to its limit.

By the way, I wasnt arguing with you lol. I agree with you, however whilst it is not needed, having the extra capability is always worthwhile.

Last edited by clf; 16th October 2021 at 20:39..