Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th October 2021, 21:18   #1
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts
Cool One for the "K" series owners

suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2021, 16:55   #2
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Shame the K series has a tarnished reputation just because of a poorly designed/sourced original HG by the manufacturer.I suppose like all new engine design's,it's only when they have been in production a while that these issues come to light.Things are still not perfect regarding HGF but vastly improved from the factory fitted HG's.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2021, 16:22   #3
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I've seen this on youTube - it's been around for a while and like most tubers a nice juicy header is required to get the view count up, it's called click bait.
It's all a bit tiresome - I have a 1.8T and it pulls like a train and uses no oil or water - the only thing it does is have quite pronounced piston slap when cold which apparently is quite normal. And I don't believe I am just lucky.
In ten years time somebody will still be cranking out the same old K series hg tales guaranteed.
Ford CVH cambelt stories anyone?
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2021, 16:32   #4
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Fortuna View Post
I've seen this on youTube - it's been around for a while and like most tubers a nice juicy header is required to get the view count up, it's called click bait.
It's all a bit tiresome - I have a 1.8T and it pulls like a train and uses no oil or water - the only thing it does is have quite pronounced piston slap when cold which apparently is quite normal. And I don't believe I am just lucky.
In ten years time somebody will still be cranking out the same old K series hg tales guaranteed.
Ford CVH cambelt stories anyone?
Yep tiresome and full of the usual cliches, however I have watched other videos on the restoration of the car and quite pleased what they are doing to the car. Any car that is neglected will result in the same. Most folks never look under the bonnet, plastic fittings are the death knell along with overzealous tightening and fitting of jubilee clips where spring clips should be used. The k was never designed for overhaul it was a throwaway item. Of course us eco friendly people know better.

I have experienced a few 1.8T engines with the Piston crown ring land area broken /eroded/chipped or missing causing ring rattle along with the piston skirt showing significant wear.

Last edited by Lovel; 29th October 2021 at 16:36..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2021, 22:21   #5
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Mine does use oil & still needs a drop of coolant every week or so but is on 165k now & does still pull us along very nicely.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2021, 10:11   #6
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I’ve had a k series in my life since the 90’s. Love ‘em. I agree they would not be good for the ‘never lift the bonnet’ owners, as at some point they are likely to lose a bit of coolant. If you are sensible and check, you should spot the signs.

Regarding the vid, I’ve never turned a k over with unclamped liners like he does, and I still rate the elastomer gaskets as many old engines have low/ uneven liners, which MLS don’t work well with.