Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th November 2020, 19:42   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default Mot pass today

Hi,
As the title states, my car has passed it's mot today with flying colours. It had one advisory on a tyre getting close to it's limits, but in all fairness i knew it was.
This year I've spent a fair bit of money on it getting it into good shape. Brake Callipers, brake lines, and new sills to name a few jobs that have been done.
Adding it all up I've probably spent nearly on what the cars worth. If i wasn't an enthusiast and looked at it purely financially, it would of been either scrapped or sold on to someone who would just run it into the ground. Its a great feeling though to see my old Rover looking fantastic and mechanically sorted amongst all the dreary looking modern cars gracing our streets. As it slowly progresses with age it feels more unique as time passes and feels like you have something that little bit different from the norm.
When i bought it some 10 years back i had so much stick from friends and work colleagues.
I had all the usual jokes about them being an old man's car, to being told it's going to self destruct within six months of ownership.
As for these jokers, I've witnessed them selling on there modern euro boxes after suffering endless problems with them for something of the same again, whilst my old Rover just aged gracefully. Over time the 75 had kind of entered into banger status. Most of them where starting to look abused and hanging on by a thread apart from the odd well looked after ones.
Regardless to its status, I continued to keep mine polished and well serviced, even when i was at an all time personal low in my life.
Today however i think the Zt/75 has moved along way from its rock bottom banger status, from not so long ago.
Most of these cars i see nowadays are well cared examples and really stand out. Random people will often come over to have a chat about my car and admire it.
I also think the retro styling has really aged well. Some car's as they age tend to look very odd and out of place with there styling but the 75 looks just as fresh today as it did when new.
I personally think these cars will become very sought after in the not so distant future.
There the last Rovers to roll off the production line and seem to look better and better as each year passes, against the modern day convoluted shaped cars you see nowadays.
So I'm glad I've decided to keep my car and spending a few bob getting it sorted, instead of selling it on and joining the sheep of owning a bland dull Euro box

Last edited by johnnyb44; 4th November 2020 at 19:46..
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 20:11   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Congratulations on the pass.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 20:23   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Glad it passed the mot. A worrying time if ever there was one. I agree with you about the cars on the roads today. Either a lot look as tho they have been in an accident at birth with all the cutout bits. Strange shaped bumpers with lights that are blindingly illegal. Is there not a construction and use act with regards to these blinding lights. Can not see many people look back at their cars to admire them as we do. Well I do anyway. I also think you are correct with the assumption that the price of our cars will soon be going only one way..........up. Nice to see you are still going strong John. Onwards and upwards.
Old 4th November 2020, 20:59   #4
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Car designs today are a strange one indeed. They all try so hard to make there cars strikingly different and unique, and to me it just makes them look all the same. I know i sound a little contradictory but even though they look different they all look the same somehow.
The 75/Zt however looks miles apart from the modern day stuff and looks refreshing amongst all the new stuff out there. People seem to be obsessed with carbon fibre and brushed steel affect trims in there interior and seats with hard unforgiving bases with bolsters that wedge you tight in the seat. The 75 though usually has thick comfortable seats with a walnut dash and an inviting warm glowing clocks..(hmmm that's more like it)
I've noticed there's also a lot of new interest in our cars by young drivers.
Traditionally youngsters are traditionally interested in hot hatches etc, but there does seem to be a strong following by them towards our cars.
There's a young lad at work who's got his eye on his grandparents 75.He's quite taken to wanting, it but his grandparents won't part with it.
I'm going to put my neck on the line by saying that I predict in 5 years time i think our cars will become a sought after vehicle to own
Old 4th November 2020, 21:32   #5
janker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon & MGZT 190

Well done on the pass, shows you look after it , I love all the old mans car jokes when i see modern cars being towed to the scrappy lol.

My New Addition
MGZT 190 Trophy Blue 2001 Petrol.
janker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 22:00   #6
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Congrats on the pass

Thrown some money, and Trikey's skills, at mine this year to get all it's little issues sorted and freshen up the running gear and it's been a revelation since. It's as good as driving a new car so i see little point nor inclination to consider a new car!

Guess i'll be stuck with her for a while yet

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 22:20   #7
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Congrats on the pass. Happy Rovering !
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 22:25   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Well done on the pass 👍👍
Old 5th November 2020, 09:05   #9
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Well done another still on the road,

I had just sold a car recently it passed its MOT with just one advisory ( HEAVILY UNDERSEALED) what is that all about.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2020, 09:07   #10
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Congrats on the pass!

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote