Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th January 2021, 09:06   #11
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

There's terrific ice out there, I am staying in.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2021, 09:38   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Consett seems to cop it every time.
We have always referred to our Heathrow micro-climate which seems to repel the snow. We really don't get it.
Ashford got it when my children were young, took them to Egham to toboggan down a hill. Eldest is nearly 29 now

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2021, 10:22   #13
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

For a while back then I used to take my kids to and from school on the tobogan, easier and quicker.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 08:14   #14
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Ah Justice at last, it's so nice to hear of someone south of us having snow we have had slight flurries over the past ten days but not much to speak off. The temperature on the other hand has been until yesterday somewhere between -12 and -3 yesterday the forecast for us this morning was 3" of snow instead we got 2" of rain then the temp dropped to -4.
Anybody got a set of ice skates for a Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, the mud and snow tyres just wont cut it today. Plod don't like it when I put full studded ice tyres on the car. to be honest I haven't owned a pair of fully studded tyres since I retired even then the sidewalls cracking were the reason for changing the tyres on these 15" crowns when I did have them. there were only 30 days every 6 or 7 years that they were needed. Not worth having them any more, and We are not going anywhere anyway, apart from a trip to collect our weeks shopping once a week at the supermarket. Lovely weather.
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 12:24   #15
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
Anybody got a set of ice skates for a Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, the mud and snow tyres just wont cut it today. Plod don't like it when I put full studded ice tyres on the car. to be honest I haven't owned a pair of fully studded tyres since I retired even then the sidewalls cracking were the reason for changing the tyres on these 15" crowns when I did have them. there were only 30 days every 6 or 7 years that they were needed. Not worth having them any more, and We are not going anywhere anyway, apart from a trip to collect our weeks shopping once a week at the supermarket. Lovely weather.
Well, studded are not legal in the UK due to our mild weather. You will get people putting them on either on a forecast of snow/ice or at a certain time of the year. For instance I put on my winter tyres middle of December and take them off end of February. However. it is allowable to use them in Scandinavia and some parts of the European continent simply because they have known periods of snow and ice covering. In fact mandatory. A person from them parts may chip in with more precise info.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 12:52   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Well, studded are not legal in the UK due to our mild weather. You will get people putting them on either on a forecast of snow/ice or at a certain time of the year. For instance I put on my winter tyres middle of December and take them off end of February. However. it is allowable to use them in Scandinavia and some parts of the European continent simply because they have known periods of snow and ice covering. In fact mandatory. A person from them parts may chip in with more precise info.

Kev
The grip offered by studded tyres is amazing from what I have seen. One day I may hire a car with studded tyres and drive in the snow just to experience it.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 13:18   #17
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

south Essex was missed again. We never get any snow here in Thurrock. Must have been about 3 years ago the last time it snowed, the time before that was about 8 years ago and then 10 years ago before that.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 19:06   #18
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

These 1st 2 photos was after about 4 hours of snow:

And then this was the day after, I think in total it snowed for about 10 hours.

Last edited by bikerdude666; 26th January 2021 at 19:10..
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 19:03   #19
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Top O the world Ma.
Close. I can think of somewhere higher....
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 22:46   #20
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post

Kev
No law here in Sweden on studded tyres, winter tyres, studded or friction (snowflake symbol) are required between 1st Dec - 31st March if the road conditions require it. (ice/snow/frost on any part of the road surface).

I used to run an SD1 Vitesse all the year round using friction tyres during the winter. Yep, rear wheel drive V8 but I've lived here for more years than I care to remember so lots of experience. I've used studded in the past, but although the grip is better on ice, 95% of the time the major roads are dry and studded tyres make a lot of noise and reduce braking efficiency on dry surfaces. Some city streets ban the use of studded tyres because of increased pollution. We're permitted 110 studs per tyre on 15" ones. Studded tyres are by nature more expensive and driving on dry roads wears the studs out.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote