Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th January 2021, 13:45   #1
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default fuel pumps

Hi all,
2004 75 cdti diesel. car would not start, found that if the underbonnet pump was given a tap the pump will run and the engine will start.
Have I got an in tank pump as well?, If I have I cant hear it running, so do I need to replace both pumps?.
Would a duff intank pump cause the underbonnet pump to fail?
Thank you,
Roy
roy 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 15:36   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy 1953 View Post
Hi all,
2004 75 cdti diesel. car would not start, found that if the underbonnet pump was given a tap the pump will run and the engine will start.
Have I got an in tank pump as well?, If I have I cant hear it running, so do I need to replace both pumps?.
Thank you,
Roy

Hi Roy.
Remove the fuel tank cap turn ignition II and listen at the fuel filler for the pump working, another way is to unplug the under bonnet pump, and do the above.

If you need to tap the UBP for it to work then it is faulty & not working as it should, also always keep the fuel above the 1/4 mark if you have a UBP.

Replace only with a good original pierburg pump, after market pumps do not last, or at least a good know second hand pierburg pump.

https://youtu.be/MikZPHxCUww

You could test it into a jar, but if you are having to knock it for it to work maybe not worth while, but do make sure the connection is tight just in case.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 16:24   #3
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

hi,
Thank you for your prompt reply, I have removed the rear seat base and can't hear the in tank pump running, I have never let the fuel level drop much below half, removed and re-fitted electrical connection on underbonnet pump so I will obtain a ubp first and if all is o.k then look at in tank pump.
Thanks again.
Roy
Old 30th January 2021, 10:57   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Before you buy a new pump, take the plug off the ubp and put some Vaseline, not grease, on the connections in the top of the pump and smear some on the connector itself. Then push it on to the pump two or three times. See if that works before replacing .
Old 30th January 2021, 18:47   #5
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

I did try cleaning the pump connections but no joy. Tap the top of the pump and it will start and keep running. Fitted a new pump today and all is well, although the tank pump will not run, a job for another day.
Old 31st January 2021, 15:19   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Hi all,
Thank you,
Roy
A duff in-tank pump will make the UBP work harder and shorten its life.

So-------------------That in-tank pump needs to be changed sooner rather than later.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2021, 17:37   #7
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Yes you are probably right, but as I am not using car much, if at all I will wait until the weather improves a bit.
I removed off side rear light unit to fix a leak and now on re-connecting the battery after replacing the pump I have a tail light bulb out warning and the radio shows a code I have never seen before. so one step for.ward and two steps back again.
Roy
Old 31st January 2021, 21:13   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Yes you are probably right, but as I am not using car much, if at all I will wait until the weather improves a bit.
I removed off side rear light unit to fix a leak and now on re-connecting the battery after replacing the pump I have a tail light bulb out warning and the radio shows a code I have never seen before. so one step for.ward and two steps back again.
Roy
The light unit, as you know, is quite easy to remove.--It's worth just plugging and unplugging the bulbs a few times so they are making good electrical contact.---

Not sure about the radio code. When disconnecting the battery you need to make sure you have the radio code.

When the battery is re-joined the radio will need the code input to make it work.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2021, 11:18   #9
roy 1953
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

I found a rusty pin on light cluster cable socket, cleaned and all is well, pressed menu button on radio and that sprung to life, so, except for the in tank fuel pump, which I will order asap, everything is now working as it should thanks to you guys.
When I was researching the rover 75 which I thought were great cars for little money I came across this forum and you came across as helpful and knowledgeable which has proved to be the case whenever I have needed assistance.
So thank you all again.
Roy