Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th January 2021, 19:10   #1
Frogmella
Loves to post

2003 (03) Pre-Facelift 1.8 Club SE Auto Petrol Non Turbo Saloon

Default Odd breakdown.

I had an odd event with my car today and wondered if anyone here might be able to throw some light on it.

Obviously at the present time the car is not getting much use. Before today I last used it 9 days ago and since then it has sat on my drive.

I had to go to the doc's today. I swept the last of the snow off it and it started first time, as usual, so off we went. I drove about 3 miles, stopped for about 15 minutes and when I returned, it started-up first time and I went to my next destination, Tesco, another mile or two away. I stopped for another 10 minutes and when I came back to the car and turned the key the dash lights came on but the engine didn't turn over at all, there was no sound at all, no clicking of solenoids, nothing. It was like the car had been left in Drive and so wouldn't start. I checked it was in Park, moved the gear selector back and forth for good measure, and tried the key several more times but still nothing.

I called my neighbour to come and assist me, he used to own a ZT-T, it took him ten minutes to arrive and we both puzzled over what might be the fault for another ten, I checked the plenum for standing water, no problem there. Kindly passers-by offered me the use of jump-leads and one even offered a battery booster but I was fairly sure it wasn't the battery.

Then, even though we hadn't done anything to fix any fault, I turned the key again and it just started like normal and I was able to get home with no further incident.

Obviously, I don't want this happening again.

Is there anything that might have become frozen, while driving along, that could have caused these symptoms? Something that might have defrosted itself over the 30 odd minutes the warm car was sitting in Tesco's car-park, refusing to start (I know I'm clutching at straws)?

Where is the switch/sensor located that tells the ECU the car is in Park when the ignition key is turned? Is it shielded from the elements?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, as always.
Frogmella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 19:29   #2
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

The gearbox isolator unit is fitted at the top of the front of the autobox, I’d be a little surprised if that was the issue, have you checked the spade terminal on the starter motor

Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 19:45   #3
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Had almost exactly the same fault with my 75 tourer a few years ago, turned out to be starter motor solenoid contacts, easy enough job to do and the repair kit was easy to obtain and didn't cost much at all.
Would be worth checking the solenoid wire connector for corrosion/ poor connection first though.
Hope that helps, Paul.
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 19:48   #4
Frogmella
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
The gearbox isolator unit is fitted at the top of the front of the autobox, I’d be a little surprised if that was the issue, have you checked the spade terminal on the starter motor

Mick

I haven't checked anything yet, primarily because I had no idea where to start. Thanks for this, I'll certainly check it out and clean it up anyway, as soon as the weather improves a little.
Old 26th January 2021, 19:50   #5
Frogmella
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
Had almost exactly the same fault with my 75 tourer a few years ago, turned out to be starter motor solenoid contacts, easy enough job to do and the repair kit was easy to obtain and didn't cost much at all.
Would be worth checking the solenoid wire connector for corrosion/ poor connection first though.
Hope that helps, Paul.

Thanks, the engine had been without its undershield for some years prior to last summer so it wouldn't be a surprise.
Old 27th January 2021, 08:55   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

With a failed connection you won't hear any clicks from the starter motor, but if the solenoid contacts have worn you will hear a single click every time you attempt to start the car.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 13:16   #7
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
With a failed connection you won't hear any clicks from the starter motor, but if the solenoid contacts have worn you will hear a single click every time you attempt to start the car.
Thats what I thought, and as I couldn't hear a click from mine (sitting in the drivers seat of course) assumed it was the connection at the starter motor, actually it was completely burnt out solenoid contacts (it may have been clicking once each time I attempted to start but I wsn't able to detect it).
Hope that helps, Paul.
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2021, 18:11   #8
Frogmella
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
Thats what I thought, and as I couldn't hear a click from mine (sitting in the drivers seat of course) assumed it was the connection at the starter motor, actually it was completely burnt out solenoid contacts (it may have been clicking once each time I attempted to start but I wsn't able to detect it).
Hope that helps, Paul.

There was definitely no click, nothing at all, then it worked "normally" but today when I was looking at it briefly and started up there was a clear and unusual, brief, complaining sort of sound that appeared to come from the starter motor straight after fire-up.

I'll get it off the car as soon as we get some half-decent weather and service it. We have another car and we're locked down until the spring anyway so it's not urgent.

Thanks to each for the help.
Old 27th January 2021, 18:34   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmella View Post
There was definitely no click, nothing at all, then it worked "normally" but today when I was looking at it briefly and started up there was a clear and unusual, brief, complaining sort of sound that appeared to come from the starter motor straight after fire-up.

I'll get it off the car as soon as we get some half-decent weather and service it. We have another car and we're locked down until the spring anyway so it's not urgent.

Thanks to each for the help.
That--complaining noise-- could be the one way clutch built into the gear end of the starter motor.--If you have the starter motor off you can easily and quickly test it by hand.

The gear will turn one way by itself, but if pushed in the opposite direction will turn the armature as well.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2021, 15:55   #10
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

faulty crank sensor - failing when hot working once cooled down - if it happens again check the rev counter -if its still then it points to the crank sensor.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote