Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd January 2019, 16:55   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Minor disaster with powerfold switch pad

One of the reasons that i am reluctant to mess about with stuff on the car.

Having read the explanation and picture thread on here in regards to non adjusting powerfold mirrors.

The symptoms on mine were the same as in the thread, powerfolds work fine folding into car but the adjustment of the actual mirror surface only worked in a downward direction on the two mirrors and would not adjust in or out or up.

So as the explanation about stripping the door switch assembly and cleaning the contacts seemed fairly straightforward I sent away for a contact cleaner pen and had a go this afternoon.

The process seemed fairly easy and straightforward just as in the explanation and there was a reasonable bit of dirt on the pen tip after finishing, however on putting the unit back in the car I now don't even have downward movement of the mirror either and to my horror the passenger side window switches on the driver armrest ( the unit I stripped out) don't work either now The ones actually on the passenger doors still work fine as do the window switches for the drivers side doors on the switch pad in question.

I was extremely careful in the stripping and re-assembly and have had it apart again to check everything and am fuming that somehow I seem to have knocked out the two passenger window switches as well as previously working partially operating mirror adjustments even though i wasn't really all that bothered about the up down mirror movement in the first place but decided that I couldn't do any harm by having a go.

Anybody got any ideas or is it a matter of having to replacing the circuit board or rubber membrane cover inside?

And if so any idea how I would get either of these?
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:29   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

An ordinary pencil eraser (rubber) works just as well and does not harm the contacts.

If you have lost those functions, could it be that the plug contacts are not well made. Merely cleaning the internal pads should not have lost those control functions.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:57   #3
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
An ordinary pencil eraser (rubber) works just as well and does not harm the contacts.

If you have lost those functions, could it be that the plug contacts are not well made. Merely cleaning the internal pads should not have lost those control functions.

I took them back out and plugged them in again and they don't seem to go down any further than they are at the moment.

I was wondering if although being careful, using the contact cleaning pen whether it is a little too abrasive and has rubbed too much off some of the contacts.
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:04   #4
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
I took them back out and plugged them in again and they don't seem to go down any further than they are at the moment.

I was wondering if although being careful, using the contact cleaning pen whether it is a little too abrasive and has rubbed too much off some of the contacts.
Could you have put the contacts pad in upside down.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:11   #5
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Could you have put the contacts pad in upside down.

Rev
No it isn't really possible and has lugs to fit in holes. also the other switches work
Old 2nd January 2019, 20:15   #6
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Don't know if it is worth looking at a non-powerfold switchpack, to see if the circuit board is the same (I think I remember seeing pads in mine for the powerfold switches, even though it is a in-powerfold switchpack), then it may be as easy as just swapping the boards (may need an extra pin sorldering in to the connector?)

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 14:01   #7
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Surprise, surprise, just had the same problem that the N/S mirror would not power upwards, switched to O/S control, same answer so had switch pack problem.
Stripped the unit open, cleaned with pencil eraser as advised above, and it all works again.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 21:09   #8
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Have you tried gently moving the actual mirrorglass up or down, they can get moved so they are beyond the range of movement of the motor. Wiggle the mirror glass a bit Gently. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:51   #9
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

When I first bought mu tourer, the mirrors on one side wouldnt move. Following advice on here, I stripped down the switch unit and cleaned the contacts with a cotton bud dipped in alcohol. Worked great ever since.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote