Notices

Old 21st January 2019, 16:43   #71
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnats View Post
As an adjunct to the general debate does the fitting of radiator covers inhibit their effectiveness ?
It might reduce radiation from the rads a little but the convection should remain about the same if the apertures are not too restrictive and allow a good flow of hot air.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 18:11   #72
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnats View Post
As an adjunct to the general debate does the fitting of radiator covers inhibit their effectiveness ?
Massively. To be avoided especially if placed over older radiators without convector fins. Fine for hallways, avoid elsewhere.

I've taken great interest in this thread as part of my job role is providing advice of keeping warm at home. I generally subscribe to Darcydog's theory of keeping a steady base temperature and keeping the structure warm, however this is not a one-size-fits-all solution as it only works with some heating systems and construction types.

Keeping comfortable in the home is more to do with insulation than heating. Most UK homes are inadequately insulated, usually because it is not financially viable, is technically prohibitive or simply not practical to increase the levels of insulation. Sadly, legislation is slow to respond to this. Building regs place requirements on new build but there is little to get older properties up to a higher standard, especially when privately owned.
Old 21st January 2019, 19:00   #73
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Massively. To be avoided especially if placed over older radiators without convector fins. Fine for hallways, avoid elsewhere.

I've taken great interest in this thread as part of my job role is providing advice of keeping warm at home. I generally subscribe to Darcydog's theory of keeping a steady base temperature and keeping the structure warm, however this is not a one-size-fits-all solution as it only works with some heating systems and construction types.

Keeping comfortable in the home is more to do with insulation than heating. Most UK homes are inadequately insulated, usually because it is not financially viable, is technically prohibitive or simply not practical to increase the levels of insulation. Sadly, legislation is slow to respond to this. Building regs place requirements on new build but there is little to get older properties up to a higher standard, especially when privately owned.
Many thanks - totally agree with the points re insulation - vital.

However - we were advised by an architect that our house type was not suitable for cavity wall insulation - a point we had been told before. But when we had the PV panels fitted we had to have an energy assessment done and the chap was insistent that we should have cavity wall insulation as well as a combi boiler.

So we got the architect to put him right on the CWI and the Solar Panel company told him that with our installation we were going to have the excess energy channeled into our hot water tank.

Then he couldn’t find our boiler on his list because the “o” had fallen off ‘flamingo’ and so he kept looking for a Potterton Flaming

So I would suggest we all get good quality advice and be prepared to get a second opinion as there are so called “experts” out there who are anything but...
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 19:20   #74
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
.... we had to have an energy assessment done and the chap was insistent that we should have cavity wall insulation as well as a combi boiler.
Unfortunately an assessor (I'm assuming your assessment was for an EPC) doesn't have to be a particularly knowledgeable, just have taken a course and know how to use an iPad. I see lots of EPCs and their quality varies, commonly offering pie in the sky solutions to increase the grading and reduce the environmental impact, such as ground source heat pumps on Victorian terraces and wind turbines for flats. Far easier just to swap all your bulbs to LED .
Old 21st January 2019, 20:37   #75
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Unfortunately an assessor (I'm assuming your assessment was for an EPC) doesn't have to be a particularly knowledgeable, just have taken a course and know how to use an iPad. I see lots of EPCs and their quality varies, commonly offering pie in the sky solutions to increase the grading and reduce the environmental impact, such as ground source heat pumps on Victorian terraces and wind turbines for flats. Far easier just to swap all your bulbs to LED .
Yep! - I think ours was one of them!!!!

Edit - and yes it was for an EPC - I’m sure you know but in order to secure the then FIT - we needed to “prove” the place was up to a certain level of energy efficiency.

Our “assessor” was seriously unimpressive....

Last edited by Darcydog; 21st January 2019 at 20:48.. Reason: Updating
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote