Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st January 2019, 16:51   #21
Moonshine Mark
I really should get out more.......

2005 Monogram Atmosphere ZT CDTI Auto + 2010 BMW 123d Convertible + 2005 MG TF 160

Can't blame a guy for trying, I bet a Subaru would have held a higher price tag than a £400 Rover and some £3.50 eBay stickers
Moonshine Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 17:05   #22
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I believe it is similar to why a Harley Davidson has that wonderful “off beat” sound. To help with power delivery in pulses the HD is set up not as a twin cylinder in balance - but so that the two cylinders fire close together, and then a longish gap then they fire close together again.

This pulsing power helps traction apparently.

I have always understood that Subaru’s do something similar. Anyone with better knowledge than me on this re the Subaru - please correct this if I am talking spherical objects !
Scooby flat four (boxer) still fires 1342 as per most four cylinder cars, the difference in sound is due to the opposed cylinders having to use different exhaust links due to space and distance of ports, an old beetle sounds the same but has a rubbish exhaust so masks the sound of the firing order.
Harleys V twins are not 90 degree firing (best setup for a V twin) they are 45 degrees which does 'nothing' for traction but mess it up! the close firing order of the 45 degree twin yanks the whole drive system every time it fires putting much stress on the bottom end and gear box, Harley designed this motor to fit into a chassis /frame that had already been designed for another engine due to manufacturing costs but have stuck with it due to the mountain or torque it produces at the expense of reliability and smoothness which is why it has had so many upgrades and R&D since 1903. The Harley Davidson is as American as apple pie whether it works or not and nothing is going to change that, it just wouldn't be a Harley if it didn't vibrate and make that unmistakeable noise.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2019, 18:29   #23
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
What is this all about, each to there own I guess

Mick
Definitely OTT. Those wheels should be cleaned.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote