Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th October 2022, 22:56   #91
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

A lot of people don't understand that dot codes are actually used primarily for tracking batches and recall.

They can be months out of date depending on the mould, batch and especially if there was an adjustment to the mix compound that assembled the tyre or metal components.

I was a tyre post assembly manager for Michelin, and people jumping in the dot code is actually generally a bit like someone saying the best before date and the use by date are the same thing.

Dot codes are implemented by the European Tyre & Rim Organisation, another EU quango generating jobs where there need not be any.

https://www.etrto.org

The reason why tyres are "advised" at 5 years is the basic minimum they are required to last to comply with eu certification based on UV damage, not mileage or wear. Bear that in mind for a second. This is primarily about storage when not used.

Look at the label, bearing in mind this is THERE label used on every tyre sold in the European Union, UK and other countries that are part of it.

By their own definition tyres are consider BRAND NEW for 5 years after the Dot date. Let that sink in for a minute, the brand new tyres, with that dot date, could be 5 days to 5 years old from that batch, and still be aloud to be sold as brand new wearing the same dot.

But they say that brand new tyre is scrap at 5 years plus, regardless if unused, but there is zero legislation on it because it can't be enforced.

You will never see a use by date on it because its impossible to predict, that's why Michelin X tyres have a million mile life span when retreaded up to 4 times in factory.

Seing a failed factory fault tyre with less than 100k on them was a seriously bad day for us as it ment we ALL got chewed out and a 100% of product x-rayed for a week.

Dot numbers are nothing more than an easy way to sell you tyres you probably don't need, and ultimately if they are so bad why are 1000s with expired dots sold in the UK on the 2nd hand market as part worn.

The oldest tyres I currently have are Firestone on my spare winter set of 75 15s, and they are coming on 8th winter this year with average 5 to 6mm on them all over.

Storage is key to preservation of fitted tyres. I keep my 75s on old space savers when not being used over winter.

Get yourselves these and some uv resistant covers, winter and summer rims will save you money long term in the UK, and also encourages you to check your tyres.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363880355...mis&media=COPY

Are dot numbers useful, at a glance yes, are they deceptive, yes, would I fit a set of brand new 5 year old tyres, yes.

My genuine advice, if you don't know what to look for on a tyre it's a easy guide, but you should not be scrapping tyres at the 5 year mark because of that label. Inspect them once a month (it staggers me people don't do this anymore anyways) going forward.

Any tyre fitter or tyre sales man who's not a con man will tell you the same thing.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2022, 01:21   #92
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

I will still be changing my tyre's as soon as the DOT date is reached, which i have just done on my Tourer even though there was 4mm left on them, DOT date was 2017 and you could just see little cracks stating to appear.

Another telling tale his if your ride seems to get hard over the same terrain you usually drive daily, the tyres get harder as the get older, the new tyres i have on now over the same daily drives is like silk as opposed to every dink and divert being felt.

So yes, i will still be following the DOT date decent tyres will save your life, out of date might not.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2022, 08:56   #93
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I will still be changing my tyre's as soon as the DOT date is reached, which i have just done on my Tourer even though there was 4mm left on them, DOT date was 2017 and you could just see little cracks stating to appear.

Another telling tale his if your ride seems to get hard over the same terrain you usually drive daily, the tyres get harder as the get older, the new tyres i have on now over the same daily drives is like silk as opposed to every dink and divert being felt.

So yes, i will still be following the DOT date decent tyres will save your life, out of date might not.
Yes th extra compliance in th new deeper tread does give a better ride. Low profile tyres particulary get stiffer as they wear and have less compliance. I noticed this on my 75 so changed well before my usual 3mm depth was acheived.
Old 5th October 2022, 11:40   #94
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

All tyres degrade with time. If they go straight from production into wholesale storage they might sit there for a matter of days, weeks or even years since they depend on how the wholesaler rotates stock - popular brands/sizes will naturally rotate quicker but with good housekeeping/management everything 'should' normally ship out to retailers on a last in/ first out DOT basis and wholesale storage is usually done in reasonably controlled conditions ie temperature, humidity, out of direct sunlight - none of this 'domestic' scenario accounts for exporting where shipping by road/rail or ship intervenes. Once the product gets into the less controlled retail supply chain things can become quite loose/lacks. Product isn't always rotated 'properly', especially the slower moving and more expensive lines. Stuff gets 'pushed to the back', overlooked, forgotten even and maybe gets 'stuck in the old building out the back', that one with roof lights and no ventilation!!
So that little lot really doesn't account for the manufacturers themselves who are mostly (but not entirely) reputable, controlled industries since the end product is very clearly a safety sensitive item - otherwise it's different brands, mixtures, marketing ploys, low end or high end....pretty endless variations. DOT will tell you country of origin and more or less exactly when your tyre was born, after that it's a bit pot luck. Ageing (cracking) is mostly down to rubber mix/preservatives and exposure to UV, weather, road debris and sometimes usage/treatment - the mix becomes less compliant, losses 'stickyness' and some strength of bonding but is not necessarily dangerous - don't be reckless, observe your load rate (it's marked on the tyre) and avoid high speeds and your tyre will be OK but do not exceed the wear indicators, and if it ever 'don't' look right, bin it.
Don't forget the myriad PR claims and 'fashion' trends also affect what manufactures put in their current mixes, at the end of the day they want to sell tyres.
I stick (just from my personal experience) with one well known brand - even though they change the model (new improved grippier, quieter, brighter etc. etc.) the performance and life more or less remains and suits me fine. All other things being equal - SAFETY FIRST.

Last edited by rab60bit; 5th October 2022 at 11:53..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote