Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th September 2019, 01:05   #1
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Default OMG! Those Cam Belt Threads!

I have been reading through a number of threads on the forum covering changing the cam belts on the KV6.
I have done the job successfully twice myself, both times on Freelanders.
Now that I have a ZT190 I was looking for tips specific to the KV6 as fitted to ZTs.
For the most part I found a number of members energetically waving their members at other members (If that makes sense?) with very little advice given.

I did find one very useful bit of advice, namely that the 190 variant uses different adaptors on the front locking tools. That was exactly the sort of information I was after. I should have made a note of the member who posted this information, but I didn't and trying to find the thread again has proved hopeless.
I have a set of the adaptors on their way from AST and would just like to thank whoever made the post.

THANK YOU!
Old 11th September 2019, 04:22   #2
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

why bother with the tools? just mark the old belt referencing each cam pulley and the crank pulley, transfer the marks onto the new belt from the old and fit the new. the engine is already timed, why would it need adjusting? the ecu will sort the rest.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 08:43   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
I have been reading through a number of threads on the forum covering changing the cam belts on the KV6.
I have done the job successfully twice myself, both times on Freelanders.
Now that I have a ZT190 I was looking for tips specific to the KV6 as fitted to ZTs.
For the most part I found a number of members energetically waving their members at other members (If that makes sense?) with very little advice given.

I did find one very useful bit of advice, namely that the 190 variant uses different adaptors on the front locking tools. That was exactly the sort of information I was after. I should have made a note of the member who posted this information, but I didn't and trying to find the thread again has proved hopeless.
I have a set of the adaptors on their way from AST and would just like to thank whoever made the post.

THANK YOU!
If your set includes the 2.0 V6 front tools, reversing the pins will give you a 190 tool as near as damn it

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 08:49   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Richard.
This thread may help.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=270402

Then there this one
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...=225767&page=2

MB I see you beat me to it:

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 08:49   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

The factory 190 tools in action........I have all three sets of front tools, and the 2.0 tool is almost identical when mirrored

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190 cam.jpg (130.2 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 190 cam 2.jpg (136.1 KB, 221 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 02:05   #6
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
why bother with the tools? just mark the old belt referencing each cam pulley and the crank pulley, transfer the marks onto the new belt from the old and fit the new. the engine is already timed, why would it need adjusting? the ecu will sort the rest.
I own the tools is why.
I admit mine aren't the factory tools but this is the third, and I am hoping, last time I will have to use them. The set cost me $123.00cdn which amounts to about 80 quid with the adaptors costing an additional 27. At that price it is money well spent. With the car being 17 years old I know the belts have been done before .The lugs are also broken off the plastic belt covers, replaced with duct tape so I don't have 100% confidence the timing is set correctly, although the car does run well. This also means that I will be removing the R/H inlet pulley to replace the broken bits. (Yes, I have replacement bolts )

Thanks Arctic and marinabrian for the links and good advice. That is just what I was looking for when I waded into the swamp of cam belt threads.
Pity I have already ordered the 190 adaptors but there certainly is no harm having them.
Old 12th September 2019, 02:35   #7
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Reading the threads posted above makes me realise how forgiving the KV6 is.
My Freelander ended up with only one of it's original cams. A previous mechanic had broken the end off one of the exhaust cams at the notch and I replaced this with an aftermarket cam. I also replaced the L/H head with an NOS head with cams when Rimmers had them on at a crazy cheap price last year.
I had read that all of the factory cams were the same (and maybe they were on the Freelander) so I didn't worry about it, but in the end the engine ran well so maybe I got lucky.
I'm hoping that the 190 won't need anything more than the usual belts and water pump and the job will be more straightforward than my old Hippo. (which I traded for the ZT.)
I will keep you posted!
Old 17th September 2019, 04:42   #8
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I made a start on the cam belts today. Everything that needs to be stripped off is off and tomorrow the new belts and other parts go on.
It's a good thing I had my self appointed 4000RPM rev limit as the old belts didn't look very good. They weren't evenly tight on the pulleys and were loose enough on the intake pulleys that I could have pulled it off without loosening the tensioner. The rear belts are much the same, they are Rover branded and I wouldn't be surprised if they have never been changed. Looks like the last person that did the belts didn't have the tools as there are a number of marks, some of which line up!
The damaged rear belt cover is being replaced along with the belts, along with the water pump, tensioner, idler and the metal water pipes and their associated hoses at the front of the engine.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 17th September 2019 at 04:49..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2019, 07:15   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
Looks like the last person that did the belts didn't have the tools as there are a number of marks, some of which line up!
Indeed it does Rich, and your description of the front belt shows that the tension wasn't correct either. This is the reason for their poor condition, bodged maintenance.

Out of interest, what's your 190's mileage and do you know when these marks were made?

Simon
Old 17th September 2019, 15:17   #10
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

The mileage is quite low, currently 119,000km 115,000 when I got it in July.
I don't have any service records but there was a sticker under the bonnet from a Mazda dealer in Rotterdam that makes me think the belts were changed at 56,000km.

And here is a picture showing the state of the main belt. Whoever changed it last broke the lugs off the belt cover and duct taped it shut.... lovely.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 17th September 2019 at 15:36..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote