Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th May 2021, 09:23   #101
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I went with 6mm2 SWA cable.

I should have elaborated more, As edwardmk said a 10mm cable would definitely future proof your installation and if you're charging to 100% on a daily basis then yes 10mm cable would be better. But for my own personal use the 6mm2 SWA was adequate enough.

We don't do high mileage or use the car everyday, I've only used the 32A/7kw option on this adjustable charger once to make sure it was working OK. I'm only charging the car twice a month and I just use the 16A option which is plenty fast enough for our use. I was initially going to go with a 16A charger but this 10A,16A,20A,24A,32A adjustable charger worked out cheaper to buy.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:19   #102
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

As these MG/Roewe BEV's in Europe & UK cannot use the remote i-smart app due to data protection laws there are some apps available that give you more details/functions as to what is going on other than the dashboard readouts.
I bought a OBD diagnostic scanner & the Nissan Leaf Spy app years ago when I was looking into getting a Leaf but it never came about.

There are a couple of apps on Google play store so I downloaded the Car scanner pro & it paired up straight away with bluetooth to the scanner tool I wasn't expecting it to as it's over 5 years old but hey oh it works.
It's on charge at the minute but I'll have a better look at the app & customise it later.

This is just a one screen example.

Old 2nd June 2021, 15:17   #103
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

This MG ZS ev has been averaging 4.2-4.3 miles/Km which I'm really happy with for this crossover vehicle. I've been sorting out the bluetooth scanner on my mobile phone for real time accurate readings of the battery SOC (state of charge) among dozens of other sensor reading.When the dashboard reads 100% charged it's actually 96.8% which is the upper buffer limit.

If you're planning on running the battery down to the wire this scanner tool will give you a lot more accuracy as to the charge left in the battery.

I believe when it goes in for service the software update will reduce the 455.2 V down to 450V to make a bigger buffer so as to let the braking regen put power back into the battery straightaway instead of waiting until the battery is depleted a little from a 100% charge.

I'm still only charging the battery to 75-80% which is the sweet spot if you're not using the car everyday, Not good letting a 100% charged ev sit for days.

Old 30th June 2021, 14:26   #104
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Well the AEB (active emergency braking) works well! It's the first time I've encountered it. As I slowing up to the traffic lights some clown decided to change lanes directly in front of me no indicator & the auto AEB kicked it and stopped the car dead without me touching he brake pedal
It makes a weird juddering ABS noise as there's no vacuum on these cars, Damn clever dicky if you ask me.

Old 2nd July 2021, 11:16   #105
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Default What car reliability report

How reliable are you finding these cars?

I have just read What Cars owners reliability survey report of electric and hybrid cars. They list the top ten and the worst bottom three. The top 10 all have a very high reliability score in the high 90% and all look very good with only minor faults recorded and easy quick repairs. The worst is the Tesla S which comes out at the very bottom of all types of engines as well as electric with only 60% reliability. The MG ZS EV however comes out in the 80% range with the second worse electric score The reports say the faults are all major ones including batteries, motors etc. putting the cars off the road for a while.

I did consider one but in the end last month got a conventional petrol car after looking into overall buying costs range and charger availability. Travelling around and not seeing many convenient charging points and reading on line owners saying that they often had difficulty finding working available points I put it off for now. Now reading this as the ZS was on price and range the favorite I think for now I made the correct choice.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:53   #106
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I bought two Hyundai's based on media and owner reports on how good they are but they proved to be the most unreliable cars I had ever purchased by far.

However I believe what owners say about their ownership experiences over time is probably going to be more honest and accurate than journalists new car reports and any information from the manufacturer, so I take them into consideration.

After one month today my new car is absolutely brilliant, but will I still think that in two years if it lets me down a lot and the dealers are rubbish?
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2021, 14:41   #107
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
How reliable are you finding these cars?

I have just read What Cars owners reliability survey report of electric and hybrid cars. They list the top ten and the worst bottom three. The top 10 all have a very high reliability score in the high 90% and all look very good with only minor faults recorded and easy quick repairs. The worst is the Tesla S which comes out at the very bottom of all types of engines as well as electric with only 60% reliability. The MG ZS EV however comes out in the 80% range with the second worse electric score The reports say the faults are all major ones including batteries, motors etc. putting the cars off the road for a while.

I did consider one but in the end last month got a conventional petrol car after looking into overall buying costs range and charger availability. Travelling around and not seeing many convenient charging points and reading on line owners saying that they often had difficulty finding working available points I put it off for now. Now reading this as the ZS was on price and range the favorite I think for now I made the correct choice.

I've never had a moments trouble with my MGZS, It's a really nice relaxing car to drive. There has been problems however with quite a few owners very ticked off with MG UK. The most problems are arising from a bad BMS software update (which has now been rectified) but the people whose cars had this bad software update are having to spend hours balancing their battery packs practically everyday from around 430V back up to to 450V which apparently will take weeks to get them re-balanced & the range back to normal
I was lucky my car just missed this update

Some people are finding out that the range is terrible if you're using it to travel up & down the motorways daily at 70mph+ day in & day out. But that boils down to them not researching the car enough as to the actual range you'd get at these speeds before they bought it.

The public charging network is woefully inadequate at present & the majority of complaints about the ecotricity "electric highway" public chargers will be fixed by September this year, The company who bought out ecotricity is replacing every single one of them in the entire country by September
https://www.transport-network.co.uk/...-by-2025/17343

I cant really speak about public chargers as I've never even used one yet despite owning this since January

My wife & I can get by very easily using our home charger.

Last edited by Lancpudn; 2nd July 2021 at 15:48..
Old 31st July 2021, 13:47   #108
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

I've been getting a "glitch" a couple of times whereas the electric handbrake wont release You can here the car go through it's ready mode with the contactors opening or closing but the car wont move The first time it happened I hadn't closed the door fully & the car refused to move til I'd closed it properly

The second time I was at a loss I had to resort to the equivalent of turning the turning the power off at the wall (broadband when calling the call centre) which entails carrying a 10mm spanner to undo the battery terminal for a short while then re-connecting it, (apparently it's a thing with some other marques of BEV's ) It resets the car & all was well, Apart from that the car has been absolutely Stella.

I've read the upcoming MG Marvel R & MGZS ev / MG5 ev facelift models will have the MG i-smart mobile app as the European servers are now live, Pity the first generation of ZS/MG5 ev's wont be eligible as they don't carry the necessary software/hardware due to some c0ckamamie data protection law

Last edited by Lancpudn; 31st July 2021 at 14:01..
Old 31st July 2021, 17:20   #109
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I find these modern cars frightening, far too many gizmos ready to go wrong. I feel there is too much nannying going on with the modern car, the physicality of driving has been taken away from us.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:48   #110
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I find these modern cars frightening, far too many gizmos ready to go wrong. I feel there is too much nannying going on with the modern car, the physicality of driving has been taken away from us.

I must admit I've not even used half of the gizmos on this car yet I was dreading something happening to my missus whilst out on her own in it but it happened once when the electronic handbrake wouldn't release whilst in the supermarket car park for her.
Sometimes she doesn't press the brake pedal hard enough when pushing the 'ON' button into Ready mode which wont let you disengage the electronic handbrake or select any gear.

After two or three attempts to talk her through it on the phone I said switch it off get out of the car, lock it with the key fob then unlock it, get back in & foot hard on the brake pedal & press the 'ON' button & it was good to go again.!!!
She tried turning it off & locking/unlocking whilst in the car but I'm not sure if there's a sensor in the seat that senses that the seat is occupied & wouldn't restart with warning toots from the horn hence me telling her to get out & try it that way.

Another problem with these software updates (My car has only had half of the updates since I got it) is that the manual is already out of date with all the changes that these updates entail
These updates will be done on it's first service presumably.