Notices

Old 27th March 2021, 13:19   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Having completed the house move and connected my BT Youview box to my BT hub which in turn is connected to BT broadband I still could not watch Air Crash Investigation but worse, oh yes it got worse. I could not watch anything that was part of my subscription such as BT sport. I could watch it via my PC but not via the Freeview box.
I called BT but they could not revolve the problem and passed it to TCM? As I did not receive a call back after about 6 hours I called BT again.

I was told that BT no longer has a licence to broadcast National Geographic, the channel that broadcast Air Crash Investigation and that is why I cannot watch Air Crash Investigation which is what clf said. My issue with that is that I paid BT, BT paid National Geographic so both have made their profit but I cannot watch what I paid for.
In truth as far as I am concerned I should be able to watch the program when I want, I paid for it.

You didnt pay for the TV show, you paid for the rental of the TV show (well actually the the equipment and software to watch the show). This is the same principle as you having Sky telephone line. Sky rent the phone line from BT (who own it), you rent the line and service from Sky. You cancel your landline service after 3 years and no longer have a land line connection, but the hardware is still there (wiring, from box to the pole, the box and the phone). You did not make a phone call at all in the last three months that you had Sky. Six months after you ended the service, your mobile phone breaks down, so you plug in the landline telephone, and no dial tone, and no ability to call out.

Alternatively, perhaps think of it like this, renting a van for 7 days, but you only used it for 6 days, but kept it on your drive for the 7, then coming back to the company after 3 months, to say you wanted the van.

I was offered £10 compensation which I said was an insult. BT pointed out that with my then package there was a lot for me to watch and it was only a fraction of the package I could not now see. I pointed out that I pay for BT sport and there is a lot of sport to watch yet I only watch the Liverpool matches, my choice but I pay for the whole package just for that little part. They offered £20 compensation. I said I'd prefer to watch the recordings and that they spanned 5 months. they offered £50 compensation, I think that is the cost of the package for 5 months. As I was never going to get to watch the programs I agreed. I'd still prefer to watch Air Crash Investigation then have the money.

Are you saying, you used to have a package with BT, but now have a different package? Do Liverpool not have a TV channel in the same way that Man U. Chelsea etc have? Perhaps subscribing to that if they do? If so, it is unfair (in my opinion) to 'penalise' (by accepting their compensation) BT because you are not interested in the majority of the package that you signed up for and did not use it within the terms you agreed to.

I would be keen to have Sky Sports F1, but I have no interest in any of their Sports packages, nor am I interested in paying £18 a month on top of that, so I choose not to have it. I can however somehow subscribe to F1 directly via Chase Media's own service - again I chose not to, as it is not cheap and I do not always have the time to watch it and therefore it would not represent value for money. There are other options available to me, but I am not that invested to investigate them.

Now to solve the second problem, unable to watch what I'm paying for via freeview box. BT offered compensation for this but I turned it down, BT had provided me with additional free internet access for 3 months so I was able to watch BT sport at my previous address on my laptop so I was able to watch what I was paying for.

Assuming you have a BT Sport package as part of your internet service, perhaps your laptop has a HDMI or another socket for an external screen/monitor, using this, you should be able to watch it on your TV (most TVs over the past 10 years will have the socket to allow this, but the laptop may not, although most do now).

Get a call from TMC? it seems back in December when the house move order was placed they messed it up and the chap had spent hours yesterday fixing it.
Thank goodness I did not turn the Freeview box on 5 minutes before a Liverpool match.

Important lesson learnt about subscription TV.
I see National Geographic are again broadcasting Air Crash Investigation via subscription but it cannot be recorded.

FWIW, I am not aware that any Freeview channels have a time limit on when I watch a recording.

You are still bound by copyright laws. Freeview though is a different system of service, 'Free to View', recording will be determined via the hardware you have. You can record such items, but the as you do not subscribe to any of them, you are not bound by any of their terms of service outside of the law. If you read the manual that comes with any recording device eg a hard drive box with the ability to record broadcast material, there will be some kind of disclaimer regarding recording and copyright, and of the laws of the territory you reside - even VHS recorders had these disclaimers. IE you are bound by the copyright laws of the country and worldwide rights owners.

But if you look at some catch up services, (BBC Iplayer is a good example or Chanel 5's TV series) you will see 'available until xx/xx/xxxx' This will been determined by the terms whatever agreement they had with the TV show/film distributors

Although it seems I have gotten to the bottom of the issue I have not got the result I wanted.

The resolution would be to purchase DVD's from the distributors or copyright owners. Air Crash Confidential (I believe Concorde was episode 7) or even perhaps via HERE

thank you clf for explaining at the outset what the problem was, you were right.

macafee2
The overall issue from what I have read is that the packages supplied do not suit your tastes or needs specifically. The broadcasters have to supply packages to suit a wide range of tastes. For me personally, it would be even harder for them lol, most service providers could not satisfy my demands. I would be random in my tastes and moods. Perhaps I was not 'in the mood' to watch F1 right now, but wanted to watch something that was on Sky Atlantic instead. So would have to have all the channels - my father has this, paying a ridiculous amount monthly to have access to what he wants when he wants it, even though he watches mainly terrestrial TV channels! (he is not rich, but he worked hard, in BT incidentally, for his retirement - it is not good value in my opinion, but it is his money, he earned it, and it makes him happy).

What limited understanding I have of tv packages, I would suggest perhaps a NOW TV monthly pass/device (or similar). Ultimately more expensive, but can be obtained and cancelled on a relatively simple monthly ad hoc basis. You cannot record directly as I understand, but you would be able to download a NOW TV app to the YouView box and watch it using it.

It may even be worthwhile looking into an IPTV type service using a smart TV, and link it up using an external hard drive via USB.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2021, 14:07   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Another option would be

https://itunes.apple.com/au/tv-seaso...4/id1137842613

Ultimately it comes down to perception of the service provided and your rights to copy.

BT Netflix, Sky et al are bound by their supplier/distributor (the program and TV show makers, National Geographic, Paramount etc).

You are bound by your supplier (the service provider, BT Sky etc)

Both the program makers and service providers are there to make money. For you to obtain your requirements, you would need to buy the shows in whatever format is provided by the makers (DVD, VHS etc.). However, even then, you are still bound by terms and conditions (under law). For instance, you cannot make copies to distribute or loan to others (you can make a singular back up copy of the original item you purchased in the event of damage, I believe if you physically lost the disc, you are actually required to dispose of the copy and purchase another!).

Old 27th March 2021, 19:04   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
The overall issue from what I have read is that the packages supplied do not suit your tastes or needs specifically. The broadcasters have to supply packages to suit a wide range of tastes. For me personally, it would be even harder for them lol, most service providers could not satisfy my demands. I would be random in my tastes and moods. Perhaps I was not 'in the mood' to watch F1 right now, but wanted to watch something that was on Sky Atlantic instead. So would have to have all the channels - my father has this, paying a ridiculous amount monthly to have access to what he wants when he wants it, even though he watches mainly terrestrial TV channels! (he is not rich, but he worked hard, in BT incidentally, for his retirement - it is not good value in my opinion, but it is his money, he earned it, and it makes him happy).

What limited understanding I have of tv packages, I would suggest perhaps a NOW TV monthly pass/device (or similar). Ultimately more expensive, but can be obtained and cancelled on a relatively simple monthly ad hoc basis. You cannot record directly as I understand, but you would be able to download a NOW TV app to the YouView box and watch it using it.

It may even be worthwhile looking into an IPTV type service using a smart TV, and link it up using an external hard drive via USB.
I did not accept compensation for not being able to watch BT sport via the Youview box, I did not think it right and proper. No idea if Liverpool have a TV channel, I will look into it, thank you. I have and pay for BT sport and NOW TV football.

You and I have different ideas about watching a recording and I don't think we will convince each other to see it from our point of view.

There is a thread about defunding the BBC and perhaps it should be defunded a lot of other broadcasters survive via adverts but also as in this case, subscription. Thing is subscription can become as you say, expensive, very expensive.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2021, 21:12   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
I did not accept compensation for not being able to watch BT sport via the Youview box, I did not think it right and proper. No idea if Liverpool have a TV channel, I will look into it, thank you. I have and pay for BT sport and NOW TV football.

You and I have different ideas about watching a recording and I don't think we will convince each other to see it from our point of view.

There is a thread about defunding the BBC and perhaps it should be defunded a lot of other broadcasters survive via adverts but also as in this case, subscription. Thing is subscription can become as you say, expensive, very expensive.

macafee2
But you accepted the compensation (£50) for not being able to watch recorded programs after you had stopped paying for their package/service (the ability to utilise their software remember )

Believe it or not, we actually have the same opinion regarding recordings (I still have numerous VHS and compact audio cassettes, as well as hundreds of DVDs - note, not pre-recorded to prove this lol). But the thing is, it is not my point of view, it is a legal matter, and one that BT obviously are upholding. This is the reason behind you not being able to view the recorded shows. The method by which they obstructed you (and the rest of their subscribers) from playing it back though is the confusing part.

Incidentally, did you purchase the YouView box, or was it supplied as part of your package, as this too would complicate matters. If you purchased the Youview box independently, or other recording device, then BT would not have the right to obstruct your ability to view it at a later stage (I am not sure such a device is available, but imagine it could be done relatively easily via the PC although I imagine by doing so, it violates BT's terms and conditions). You would be legally obliged to delete the recorded TV show/movie after you had watched it, though.

I have no opinion of the defunding of the BBC, although I do think subscription based TV service is the way forward.

Old 28th March 2021, 11:41   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
But you accepted the compensation (£50) for not being able to watch recorded programs after you had stopped paying for their package/service (the ability to utilise their software remember )

Believe it or not, we actually have the same opinion regarding recordings (I still have numerous VHS and compact audio cassettes, as well as hundreds of DVDs - note, not pre-recorded to prove this lol). But the thing is, it is not my point of view, it is a legal matter, and one that BT obviously are upholding. This is the reason behind you not being able to view the recorded shows. The method by which they obstructed you (and the rest of their subscribers) from playing it back though is the confusing part.

Incidentally, did you purchase the YouView box, or was it supplied as part of your package, as this too would complicate matters. If you purchased the Youview box independently, or other recording device, then BT would not have the right to obstruct your ability to view it at a later stage (I am not sure such a device is available, but imagine it could be done relatively easily via the PC although I imagine by doing so, it violates BT's terms and conditions). You would be legally obliged to delete the recorded TV show/movie after you had watched it, though.

I have no opinion of the defunding of the BBC, although I do think subscription based TV service is the way forward.
Youview box is BT supplied. I have learnt my lesson. I will take a look at other recordings I have and delete what I can no longer watch, that is going to hurt. Like throwing stuff when you move house, you might need it one day

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 12:45   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Youview box is BT supplied. I have learnt my lesson. I will take a look at other recordings I have and delete what I can no longer watch, that is going to hurt. Like throwing stuff when you move house, you might need it one day

macafee2
That complicates/exaggerates things further. Unless it is part of your contract/agreement, the box belongs to BT. They can request/demand its return at the end of the contract/agreement or at any time, any recordings you have stored on it, go with it. This further protects BT's agreements with their suppliers (the copyright owners of the TV shows/movies etc).

As part of their service, they can also limit your ability to use it, by locking it to certain hardware, and control your ability of how you use that hardware. There will be some mention of all of this in the terms and conditions.