Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd February 2008, 22:27   #21
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Fuel

Agree with you there Dave.
Though I have not seen much criticism for supermarket vs branded PETROL I see advice regularly not to use supermarket DIESEL (look at Car Mechanics !). Mostly Shell & BP are recommended !
I still almost exclusively use Shell diesel + Millars DPP and am happy with this.
( To be honest, here in Cambridge there is little or no price difference between supermarket diesel and the cheapest Shell station. One side of Cambridge Shell is always 2 p/litre more than my side ! ! ? ?)
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008, 08:29   #22
Ti Rich
Gets stuck in

Audi A6 TDi 175

I think the standard Shell Diesel is by far the best. Always gave me the best MPG and perfromance. The V-Power just didn't seam to add anything more to be honest.
ZT CDTi, gone but not forgotten!
Ti Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 08:25   #23
Per Ardua
Loves to post

ZT-T 190+

Location: Sipping fine port in a drawing room in Sleaford, Lincs.

There were only a few filling stations nationally that sold V-power diesel when it first was introduced - one such place was local to me so I tried it in my 02 BMW 320d tourer.

I really liked it. The car ran smoother (for a diesel) and seemed to have more poke. It also started and idled with less clatter on a cold day. I also noticed slight gains in MPG. I think it has something to do with the cetane content of Vpower diesel that makes it pretty good IMHO.

I ran the car on nothing but Vpower for 6 months or more before trading up to the ZT-T.

I did start to use V-power petrol in the ZT but then prices rose and considering the MG's ECU can't make any advantage from higher octane (so I'm told) it's pretty pointless paying the premium. So I tend to stick to regular Shell Unleaded (95 Ron) unless I get a voucher for 10p a litre off at Tesco...
Per Ardua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 14:13   #24
paulmariner
Avid contributor

75 CDTi Connie Auto tourer 54 160 re-map

I've got a 2.0CDT Auto and it's now done 146k miles.
I've had it for 2 years and covered approx 24k miles mostly dual carriageway but still some town stuff.

I've tried all sorts of combinations and the best, for me, is supermarket diesel + Millers additive. Car runs smooth, no smoke and averages 45mpg.

I'm happy with that!!
paulmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 14:40   #25
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

My experience is that my diesel 75 runs smoother and with more power with Shell regular than with supermarket fuels - unless I add Millers, in which case there's no obvious difference. (I haven't found the need to add Millers to the Shell).
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 15:03   #26
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I see on the latest Marketing Material by BP it says you will get UP to 15 miles average extra per Tankful basing it on a 15 Gallon tank.
Less than .25 of a mile per litre, but lubricates the Engine etc better.

You will also see this statement in small Print on the Large signs at bottom left where displayed at filling stations.

With them figures it shows you are just throwing your money down the drain,
better off buying Millers and adding that!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 15:10   #27
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERFIX View Post
I generally use Tesco or Asda diesel. Occasionally I will use another station for convenience and sometimes I splash out on the "better" fuels such as Shell or BP's higher spec diesels. I have never had any problems running supermarket fuel - ever - and I have never noticed the slightest bit of difference using the more expensive fuels. That's not to say the expensive ones aren't lubricating the fuel system better or keeping it cleaner, I just never notice any difference in driving with them. I have only had one mechanical failure - the diesel pump on my 525TDS which I replaced at 130k miles and, buy all accounts, that was actually pretty good going for one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
I see on the latest Marketing Material by BP it says you will get UP to 15 miles average extra per Tankful basing it on a 15 Gallon tank.
Less than .25 of a mile per litre, but lubricates the Engine etc better.

You will also see this statement in small Print on the Large signs at bottom left where displayed at filling stations.

With them figures it shows you are just throwing your money down the drain,
better off buying Millers and adding that!
I stand by my original statement and second JDC's. I can't see the justification in spending an extra how ever much pence per litre for little (according to some) or no discernable improvement. Simply lining the oil companies' and chancellor's pockets if you ask me.

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:27   #28
r44712
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 135 & ZR+ 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Ardua View Post
I did start to use V-power petrol in the ZT but then prices rose and considering the MG's ECU can't make any advantage from higher octane (so I'm told) it's pretty pointless paying the premium.
However, going by your profile, if you have a 190 it'll have the V6 lump which does feature a 'knock' sensor for adapting to differing fuels. Its the flat-fours which can't adapt.
r44712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:28   #29
r44712
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 135 & ZR+ 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERFIX View Post
I stand by my original statement and second JDC's. I can't see the justification in spending an extra how ever much pence per litre for little (according to some) or no discernable improvement. Simply lining the oil companies' and chancellor's pockets if you ask me.
Same here!
r44712 is offline   Reply With Quote