Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th July 2020, 06:19   #1
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Default Premium bumper realistic pricing

Hello all,

Seeing as I have been wanting a premium bumper I have let some people know. After a bit more then a year I got a lead on somebody who had one lying around. He wants 450 euro for it, which (in my opinion) is a fair bit much.

State of the bumper:
- dirty, with user marks
- requires a full respray, due to the wrong color and the wear/tear
- has 1 gash on the corner, looks almost like somebody stabbed it with a knife. This would need to be plastic-welded and perhaps filled in and sanded smooth
- The badge is totally worn and need to be replaced
- the chrome looks a bit worn, but I think I might make it a bit better with some careful polishing
- There is no insulation behind the bumper

Seeing as some members on here have a bit more knowledge on average prices on this, I was wondering if you can give me some insight in what would be a normale price for this. Maybe, if I have some good arguments, he is willing to drop the price?
Old 7th July 2020, 06:45   #2
Beena wild
Loves to post

MG ZT190+ 2.5 2002

Wait a bit longer - you've the entire Continent at your disposal!

Over here i'd imagine that they're like hen's teeth, saw one vehicle with premium bumper in all these years!!

Hard to see that you're going to get just the colour you want anyhow but a respray sounds better than spray, repair and provide insulation etc.

Good Luck
Beena wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 06:47   #3
rrobson

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

It’s worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It all depends on how desperate you are, you say you’ve been looking for over a year now? And this is the only one you’ve found? At that price with the repairs and colour your looking at nearly 1000 euros, it it worth it to you?

They come up for sale so infrequently that it’s difficult to compare prices. Not so long ago genuine premium bumpers where changing hands at £1000 (€1100) but they were in very good condition. I haven’t seen one for sale for quite a while.
If the bumper is complete with indicators, fog lamps and all the trim he probably isn’t too far off the mark. If it’s missing anything then it’s too expensive.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2020, 14:13   #4
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

I've had a talk with the seller, and he isn't willing to drop. "it's not in the way, and somebody one day will want to pay his asking price for it".
For me, this is a no-go for now. I don't mind having to respray it, but with the repair, missing insulation and the repair that has to be done I feel I have to many extra costs to get it in "as new" condition.

I am looking for one, but I have been content with my MK1 bumper for 6 years now, I can live with it for another few years.

Searching in other countries poses a different problem: shipping. Either very expensive or companies won't accept it because of the size. I'm also very worries how it will arrive, seeing as many courier don't really care to much about the parcels they carry.
Old 7th July 2020, 21:01   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
I've had a talk with the seller, and he isn't willing to drop. "it's not in the way, and somebody one day will want to pay his asking price for it".
For me, this is a no-go for now. I don't mind having to respray it, but with the repair, missing insulation and the repair that has to be done I feel I have to many extra costs to get it in "as new" condition.

I am looking for one, but I have been content with my MK1 bumper for 6 years now, I can live with it for another few years.

Searching in other countries poses a different problem: shipping. Either very expensive or companies won't accept it because of the size. I'm also very worries how it will arrive, seeing as many courier don't really care to much about the parcels they carry.
You also need a rear bumper and headlights, so that needs to be considered also

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2020, 13:53   #6
Mark Murphy
Regular poster

Rover 75, and Mg zt 1.8T

I think the mk1 bumper looks better than a Premium one, they remind me of an audi.And in a few years, everyone will want the mk1 one.
Mark Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 13:52   #7
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
You also need a rear bumper and headlights, so that needs to be considered also

Brian
Why do I need the rear one? Because of the painted "chrome" strips?
Old 10th July 2020, 11:27   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
Why do I need the rear one? Because of the painted "chrome" strips?
Because the premium bumper is for a Mk2 Vinnie, and the Mk2 bumpers lend a different look to the car entirely, less cute and cuddly, more angular and aggressive.

I've seen a premium bumper retrofitted to a Mk1 car front only, and it simply looks odd, and out of place, in the same way a Mk2 car looks decidedly odd with a Mk1 front end fitted, the shape works either or, but not combined

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote