Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd March 2021, 15:20   #1
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Default Where is this hose for? Leakage

Hi, where is this hose for? The upper one is leaking, kind of fat liquid.

Drivers side, near the washer bottle. Picture taken from underneath the car. 2 pipes going to the radiator??? White box is the washer bottle. The hose is with the white small sticker on it. Hose is wet. Where does it come from and what to do?

Thanks!

Emiel

Last edited by Azur; 22nd March 2021 at 15:28..
Azur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:40   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Emiel. Those are the hydraulic pressure hoses that circulate the power steering fluid to/from the cooling loop. The loop runs along the very bottom of the radiator (aircon condenser).

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:15   #3
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Hello Cyrano,

Thanks for your reaction and good to know what it is! Now, I have noticed the hose "woven second skin" is wet. I have also noticed a drop down from my coolant level, and I have drops of coolant liquid on the waterpump...could there be a connection, or are these 2 separate problems?

As a beginner mechanic, I do not know what to do to solve these things. I removed the undertray today and noticed three things:
1 wet hose of the hydraulica pressure hose;
2 little drop of coolant level, (fan runs continiously) and drops of coolant liquid on the waterpump;
3 oil sweat of the I think carter..

Now, how severe are these problems and what should I do?
Just bought this Dorchester and only drove 300 miles in it and now I discovered these problems.

I will post images tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Emiel
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:11   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Check if the hydraulic hose is oily or water type wet, it may be power steering fluid (oily). If so, check the fluid level in the reservoir. If it needs topping up, then there's a leak somewhere. Possibly aged/fatigued hose or the screw connections to the cooler loop have slackened. If it's coolant (water wet), then it's running down from higher up. Maybe the coolant on the water pump is what's getting lower down. Maybe the water pump seal has failed. The most common coolant leaks on the KV6 are from the thermostat housing on top of the engine. Look for pooling in the Vee between the heads. That can get almost anywhere if there's enough leaking out. How often do you need to top up the coolant?

The fan issue could be due to having the aircon sytem running on Auto all the time. If so, switch the aircon off an see if the fan stops.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 22nd March 2021 at 21:15..
Old 23rd March 2021, 16:19   #5
Azur
Loves to post

Thank you for your response. Ok, I will test the fan issue, indeed the aircon system is on auto, so that should be it. I will do the demist test.

The hydraulic hose from the power steering is oily, but the fluid level in the reservoir is ok and stable, every time I have checked this it is ok. So it could be a fatigued hose or screw connection. I want it repaired, so not sure if it is wise to do it myself or to go tot a garage for it?

Coollant:
I did check the thermostat, it is dry and there are no signs of leakage in that area. I needed to top up appr. 50-100 ml. now 3 x the last 3 weeks, only driving 2 times 15 km. Every time I park the car somewhere, there is a spot on the floor from dripped coolant. (No white smoke from the exhaust btw). I assume it must be a leakage. I have placed some extra images.

I have also noticed an oily underside of the motor. Is this the crankcase and is this a problem that needs to be fixed (sooner/later)? What to do?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Cheers,

Emiel
Old 24th March 2021, 12:23   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
- and I have drops of coolant liquid on the waterpump.
The water pump is not visible unless the timing belt cover is removed. Leaks from the water pump typically run down the front of the engine (behind the cover) and drip out from under the crankshaft pully. If you see drips from the lower end of the front cover, you probably need to get the water pump replaced. That's quite a serious job for a learner mechanic and might be best left to a professional.

TC
Old 24th March 2021, 13:17   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Emiel,

Congratulations on your Dorchester red car; my favourite colour!

Wipe the oily residue from the power steering hoses and keep it under observation. If the rag is red it's hydraulic fluid seeping out, if the rag is black it's engine oil from another source. If the loss is very minor, and it sounds as if it is, I would leave it alone for now.

Likewise, wipe off the pink residue from the oil filter and the other location and check for a recurrence. The favourite place for coolant leaks is from the seals in the "V" and there's a drainage route beside the water pump inlet which discharges the pink stuff over the oil filter giving the impression that the pump is leaking when it probably isn't. How did I find this out?

Regarding the oil on the bottom of the gearbox I have that too. It's engine oil which gets sucked into the breather tubes because the filters in the cam covers don't function as intended. The oil enters the throttle body then trickles down under gravity into the air cleaner ribbed hose and slowly seeps out through the Jubilee clip connection. Loosen the clip and ensure that the bottom of the hose, which you can't see easily, is properly lipped over the throttle body air intake. Carefully tighten the clip but don't overdo it. This may improve matters but the oil baked onto the gearbox casing is there for good unless you attack it with engine degreaser and/or steam cleaning equipment.

Simon
Old 24th March 2021, 13:49   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Hi Emiel

Check the clip holding the power steering pipe to the reservoir, these are a known cause of the Misty fluid you are seeing.
Old 25th March 2021, 15:23   #9
Azur
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The water pump is not visible unless the timing belt cover is removed. Leaks from the water pump typically run down the front of the engine (behind the cover) and drip out from under the crankshaft pully. If you see drips from the lower end of the front cover, you probably need to get the water pump replaced. That's quite a serious job for a learner mechanic and might be best left to a professional.

TC
Thank you, this proves that I am a learner mechanic, and such a job I would not dare to do myself, thanks for your reaction!
Old 25th March 2021, 15:38   #10
Azur
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Emiel,

Congratulations on your Dorchester red car; my favourite colour!

Wipe the oily residue from the power steering hoses and keep it under observation. If the rag is red it's hydraulic fluid seeping out, if the rag is black it's engine oil from another source. If the loss is very minor, and it sounds as if it is, I would leave it alone for now.

Likewise, wipe off the pink residue from the oil filter and the other location and check for a recurrence. The favourite place for coolant leaks is from the seals in the "V" and there's a drainage route beside the water pump inlet which discharges the pink stuff over the oil filter giving the impression that the pump is leaking when it probably isn't. How did I find this out?

Regarding the oil on the bottom of the gearbox I have that too. It's engine oil which gets sucked into the breather tubes because the filters in the cam covers don't function as intended. The oil enters the throttle body then trickles down under gravity into the air cleaner ribbed hose and slowly seeps out through the Jubilee clip connection. Loosen the clip and ensure that the bottom of the hose, which you can't see easily, is properly lipped over the throttle body air intake. Carefully tighten the clip but don't overdo it. This may improve matters but the oil baked onto the gearbox casing is there for good unless you attack it with engine degreaser and/or steam cleaning equipment.

Simon
Hi Simon,

thanks for your reaction, yes indeed a lovely colour and she drives lovely too. Happy with the car, but did not expect her to have these "problems".

I will follow your tips and tricks, probably the weekend, and wil post how things work out!

Cheers,
Emiel