Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th April 2021, 19:36   #1
ceetdm
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Manual Saloon + Rover 75 CDTi Auto Saloon

Default Favour to ask regarding front break pipes.

I've been doing some work on my front brakes - Pads, Discs, backplates, and new flexi's.

Even though I kept the bracket well greased where the flexi meets the rigid brake pipe I just could not free the male flare nut that mates with the flexi and so decided to cut the pipe.

Now, I then proceeded to flare the pipe without first placing the flare nut onto the pipe Time to chop the pipe again and do another flare on the pipe this time remembering to place the flare nut onto the pipe

Then I did otherside, all went well, until I looked properly at the type of flares that I had just done and realised that it was just a single SAE and not the required DIN

So, had to chop the flares off again and am now in the process of getting a flare tool that does DIN flares.

Here's where the favour comes in: I would like to keep the original pipe going into the flexi and intend to place a join above the bracket, at the flexi union.
Does anyone have any off cuts of the original brake pipe say a couple of 100mm lengths that they would be willing to post to me? I will of course pay the costs.

Hope you at least got a chuckle at my endeavours when reading this - Oh! the laugh I had at my expense

Tommy
Old 27th April 2021, 22:44   #2
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Do you specifically want the original steel coated pipe or will copper or Cunifer 10 do.

I have some copper and possibly Cunifer 10 knocking about, but I'm also breaking a series 1, 75 and could possibly cut out a couple of good straight sections out, bearing in mind copper is easier to work with.

Yes I've had a good chuckle at your misfortune, but we've all dropped clangers along the line.
Old 28th April 2021, 06:34   #3
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

There is no problem at all using sae flares provided you use the correct flare nut and don’t mix an sae and din flares in a coupling.

What I wouldn’t do is waste my time joining the front brake pipes. They are the easiest to get at with the battery tray out (especially the passenger side) so do your car a favour and replace the whole length, especially if there is some steel pipe remaining. They were so thin on mine they broke off trying to free off the flexi from its holder!

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2021, 07:06   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes far better to do the job properly and replace the entire lengths of front pipe. Kunifer would be my choice of material.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2021, 08:37   #5
ceetdm
Loves to post

Thank you all for the advice - I'm going to take it!

I ordered a kit from ebay that has all the bits I need including Cunifer pipe and DIN flaring tool :-)

I also saw a post from marinabrian where some 'divine inspiration' was offered which had some nice pics of the front section of pipe he fabricated - which looked very tidy indeed.

So thanks again for the great replies above, I hope my kit arrives before the weekend, although I can always start on the rears if it does not - I suspect I will be cutting off the union to the flexi on these as well :-)

Tommy :-)
Old 28th April 2021, 08:40   #6
ceetdm
Loves to post

Thank you for your kind offer Ducati750cc, I've now decided to change the complete front section on both sides and have ordered the kit including the Cunifer pipe.

Tommy :-)