Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th June 2022, 11:25   #11
75 Rovers

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur auto

OMG guys, overwhelmed by all your comments and support, will have to have a good read thru to decide what the best step will be. Grateful to you all, cheers ��
75 Rovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2022, 15:49   #12
75 Rovers

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur auto

Thanks SD1 too, so that's 4 brushes from ECB at £40 ish unless that has been updated/improved ? Cheers.
75 Rovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2022, 23:59   #13
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 Rovers View Post
Thanks SD1 too, so that's 4 brushes from ECB at £40 ish unless that has been updated/improved ? Cheers.

www.engineeringcarbonproducts.com

They used to be £26 for four the last time i bought a few sets, seems they have jumped up £10 plus since

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2022, 07:05   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 Rovers View Post
Thanks SD1 too, so that's 4 brushes from ECP at £40 ish ...
Yes, or you can examine which brushes need replacement and order accordingly. They're also available singly or as a pair. It's unlikely that the high speed brush (purple wire) will have worn at all.

Simon
Old 15th June 2022, 20:58   #15
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Yes, or you can examine which brushes need replacement and order accordingly. They're also available singly or as a pair. It's unlikely that the high speed brush (purple wire) will have worn at all.

Simon
Hi Simon, hope you're well. Spotted this thread tonight after finding my (almost certainly 3-speed) fan is inoperative under all conditions earlier this week prior to having the system (successfully) regassed this afternoon. The demister test produces the relay click but no fan, and shorting the Trinary yellow/grey & black wires does the same. A/C is now perfect when driving and I won't use it until the fan's repaired or replaced.

I'm in two minds about biting the bullet and fitting the Revotec kit @£185 or risking £40 on a set of brushes. But then I realised not all four may need changing as it appears very unlikely I'll ever need the high speed. So the my question is, how are the high-speed brushes identified, do you know? (I may well of course stop being an archetypal Scot and just pay the extra £18 but I thought I'd ask anyway...)

Dougie.

• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 136,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 15th June 2022 at 21:14..
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2022, 07:00   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
Hi Simon ... So the my question is, how are the high-speed brushes identified, do you know?
You already have the answer Dougie in my previous post!
Quote:
It's unlikely that the high speed brush (purple wire) will have worn at all.
From your tests it appears that the brush which has worn beyond its minimum length is the shared earth for low and medium speeds. You'll find this one at the end of the black wire and it's exactly what happened to my motor 13 years ago. As an attempt to encourage you to repair rather than replace, my low speed supply brush (red wire) was 50% worn and my medium speed supply brush (grey wire) was 30% worn.

Since you have a diesel your fan motor usage will be mainly for the air conditioning so my expectation is that you may need only two new brushes: low speed (red wire) and its earth (black wire).

Simon
Old 19th June 2022, 21:53   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Simon, hope you're well. Spotted this thread tonight after finding my (almost certainly 3-speed) fan is inoperative under all conditions earlier this week prior to having the system (successfully) regassed this afternoon. The demister test produces the relay click but no fan, and shorting the Trinary yellow/grey & black wires does the same. A/C is now perfect when driving and I won't use it until the fan's repaired or replaced.

I'm in two minds about biting the bullet and fitting the Revotec kit @£185 or risking £40 on a set of brushes. But then I realised not all four may need changing as it appears very unlikely I'll ever need the high speed. So the my question is, how are the high-speed brushes identified, do you know? (I may well of course stop being an archetypal Scot and just pay the extra £18 but I thought I'd ask anyway...)

Dougie.

Quote:
You already have the answer Dougie in my previous post!

From your tests it appears that the brush which has worn beyond its minimum length is the shared earth for low and medium speeds. You'll find this one at the end of the black wire and it's exactly what happened to my motor 13 years ago. As an attempt to encourage you to repair rather than replace, my low speed supply brush (red wire) was 50% worn and my medium speed supply brush (grey wire) was 30% worn.

Since you have a diesel your fan motor usage will be mainly for the air conditioning so my expectation is that you may need only two new brushes: low speed (red wire) and its earth (black wire).

Simon
Hi Dougie.
Few photos of the fan which you are referring too, as you know Dougie we changed out your fan today, from a four wire 3 speed fan to a tow wire 2 speed fan with gold resistor.

Once i got home and had my dinner i unpacked the tourer, and set about looking at your fan and why it failed.

Brushed of any debris.

Removed the motor plate/lid.

Which in turn shows me the board, tiny bit of burning marks.

Brush clean before lifting.

Then i can lift the board off.

Motor coiling wires have been scorched black, and brush contact is badly scored deep in the middle, which would be form the low speed brush wearing completely away.

Low brush completely worn away, medium brush down to a 1/3

Medium down to a 3rd

So if the motor had been ok you could have got away with replacing two brushes, as you can see the motor as a deep score mark from the low speed brush digging into it.

Even then you would have been stumped as one of the magnets and come adrift.

So this fan is destined for the parts bin to be cannibalized, therefore you would have taken the fan off opened it up only to find you needed another fan, so good call by coming to the Nano, nice to meet and work along side you hopefully you can make another one later in the year cheers Arctic.

PS also sorry to Peter for jumping onto his thread.

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 19th June 2022 at 21:58..
Old 19th June 2022, 22:20   #18
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Dougie.
Few photos of the fan which you are referring too, as you know Dougie we changed out your fan today, from a four wire 3 speed fan to a tow wire 2 speed fan with gold resistor.
It was well worth the trek, not only for the fan but also to meet up with a really nice bunch of guys, only one of whom I've met before (sorry Jamie for failing to recognise you but to be fair, you did the same. )

You did a sterling job. The a/c is ice cold and I'm happy to have a working fan again to go with it. Thanks again.

Quote:
So this fan is destined for the parts bin to be cannibalized, therefore you would have taken the fan off opened it up only to find you needed another fan
But the blades were nice & shiny though, right? The photos tell a story of a hard life.

Quote:
...so good call by coming to the Nano, nice to meet and work along side you hopefully you can make another one later in the year cheers Arctic.
Definitely was a good call and well worth the drive. I've PMd you about signing-up difficulties in the nano website.

Thanks again,

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 136,000 miles
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2022, 23:39   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
It was well worth the trek, not only for the fan but also to meet up with a really nice bunch of guys, only one of whom I've met before (sorry Jamie for failing to recognise you but to be fair, you did the same. )

You did a sterling job. The a/c is ice cold and I'm happy to have a working fan again to go with it. Thanks again.

But the blades were nice & shiny though, right? The photos tell a story of a hard life.

Quote:
Definitely was a good call and well worth the drive. I've PMd you about signing-up difficulties in the nano website.

Thanks again,

Dougie.
Yes passed it onto Rob whom maybe able to sort it out, remember you don't want that fan running all the time when you are driving so use the ECON button you will still get cold air from the ram effect.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 20th June 2022, 09:02   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

This is a brilliant thread thank you to those that have given the advice. I just hope I can remember the information in it.
Silver resistor is a two speed fan, 3 speed can be change for a 2 speed.

thanks again

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote