Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th October 2020, 17:48   #1
alanbarker

rover 75 saloon

Default towbar fitting

Hi, hope your all well, bought a rover 75 saloon [2002] recently and must say im impressed,,just ordered a towbar and wondered if anybody has fitted one? is it easy/quick fit? was going to fit this week
thanks in advance
alanbarker
alanbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 18:53   #2
Richard1973
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...fitting+towbar
Richard1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 18:55   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I fitted one to my Tourer a year or two ago.

Not to bad a job.
If you have parking sensors they will detect a trailer which is a pain but they will not detect a bumper guard
You can get sockets with a micro switch in to disconnect the cars rear fog lights when a trailer is connected and I think that you can also monitor the trailers road lights and get a bulb out warning.

I have a facelift and have changed my instrument cluster. Apparently I need to fit a particular BMW towing relay and not a TEB7AS relay and then add a wire to the light switch module. I have not done this as I have not obtained the BMW relay but it is something I want to do.

My saloon did not need the bumper cutting for the tow bar.

what did you buy and what will you tow?
good luck and welcome to the forum

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2020, 10:03   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

You should use a bypass relay to operate trailer lights (or the oem setup). Having said that, I recently discovered that whoever fitted the towbar on our tourer just wired the tow socket direct to the rear light wires! It works with a basic trailer board and well enough to pass MOT. I don't think I'd trust it with a well lit up trailer or caravan though (not that I'd be towing a van with a 1.8t anyway).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2020, 10:42   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
You should use a bypass relay to operate trailer lights (or the oem setup). Having said that, I recently discovered that whoever fitted the towbar on our tourer just wired the tow socket direct to the rear light wires! It works with a basic trailer board and well enough to pass MOT. I don't think I'd trust it with a well lit up trailer or caravan though (not that I'd be towing a van with a 1.8t anyway).
I think the reason for the relay is that the relay has its own live feed and only a small amount of current is taken from the cars lights for the relay to detect that power s required to the trailer lights. The separate live to the relay, I assume is used to provide power to the trailer lights.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2020, 13:08   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I think the reason for the relay is that the relay has its own live feed and only a small amount of current is taken from the cars lights for the relay to detect that power s required to the trailer lights. The separate live to the relay, I assume is used to provide power to the trailer lights.

macafee2

Exactly. Not only could excessive current draw trigger incorrect bulb warnings but cause issues for the LSM. Luckily I rarely use the trailer board and it doesn't have a lot of lights (typical tealight quality to it). Would be easy enough to insert a bypass relay with it's own power feeds into the wiring though. I'd always suggest to do it properly from the start.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote