Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2020, 12:49   #1
Foxyles
Foxyles

Rover 75 (x2)

Question Sunroof shade 'stuck'

Hi everybody.Newly joined ,with 2004 royal blue conn,se, v6,Was naieve on buying when noticed sunroof shade seemed stuck,only pulling back 2- 3 ".- told probably just a bit jammed.(Am not trying to open roof yet after reading earlier posts on here about this.- probably little 'side clips ' broken ,causing .- jamming,( dont really know how it operates in relation to actual glass roof) and seemed to be one or two different opinions about this.)- I shall be trying to learn as I have bought copy of Haynes manual,- but it doesnt really help with this,and classifies sunroof components as 5 spanners- hint taken,! even though I thought it might be possible to sort out just ' sliding shade' aspect.
My son , in Australia, (has been in motor trade says ) ,cheerfully,has known lot of leaking problems,," you dont want to touch headlining etc"., relating to sunroofs.So. am I doomed not to be able to sort the jammed slide without great difficulty / expense?Advice really appreciated.
Foxyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 13:31   #2
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

It's actually not too difficult, but you do need to know what you're doing. I went to Nick Bonthrone at Austin Garages in Burton-on-Trent who is one of the best experts around on our cars and he got my sunroof working perfectly in not much more than half an hour.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 15:41   #3
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

As tracker says it’s not too hard. Search the forum for sunroof problems or similar and there are excellent how to’s. Also on YouTube there’s a guide to how to fix it, it’s the bmw e46 in the video but as it uses the same sunroof it applies to your car.
Definitely get those clips bought, then the only thing you are to likely need is a sunroof motor if it burnt out (check fuse first). Again bmw or mini motors can also be used, just get the cheapest suitable one
See what you think after reading through/watching the guides and ask for clarity on anything your not sure about.
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2020, 15:58   #4
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Sunroof blinds do seem to be a common problem, I had the same problem with mine and discovered on of the clips on the passenger side was broken, along with one of the driver's side one damaged.

Do not operate the sunroof in this condition otherwise if it jams the motor can burn out.

The clips themselves are not too bad to do, providing you can get the blind back far enough to get at the screws to removed the glass.

There are two different versions of the clips though, the hole spacing is different so you need to make sure you get the correct ones. Think the changeover is 2004, but whether this is a mk1/mk2 distinction I am not sure.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2020, 11:50   #5
Foxyles
Foxyles

Rover 75 (x2)

Default Sunroof shade

Thanks kelvo ,will bear that in mind
Old 26th August 2020, 11:59   #6
Foxyles
Foxyles

Rover 75 (x2)

Thanks Maxfly/Tracker- will try go do abit more research first.Dont think blind will go any further back, at moment,and am not going to force it.