Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th November 2020, 15:21   #1
paulh260260
Still learning...

Gold 04 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, Silver 52 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, 04 BRG Connie 2.5 V6 Petrol

Default Problems refitting petrol filter

I've just fitted the orange clip to a problematic fuel filter but I now cannot get the filter back.

I've lined up the lug on the filter top with the inset but when I get try to screw in the metal ring cover it wont purchase on anything.

It seems too high up, as if the filter in not pushed in far enough for the metal ring to find a thread

No matter how much weight I put on the filter I cannot get it to fit

Is this just one of those awkward job that take trial and error or is there something i am doing wrong or missing?

BTW its a Petrol 2.5 V6 connie '52

Paul
paulh260260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 16:59   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

First link has good images of refitting the filter - 2nd link more detailed - go toward the end of the post to see how to refit the filter -this also covers changing the filter itself and the o ring.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...43&postcount=3

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=9108

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 17:14   #3
paulh260260
Still learning...

Gold 04 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, Silver 52 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Petrol, 04 BRG Connie 2.5 V6 Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
First link has good images of refitting the filter - 2nd link more detailed - go toward the end of the post to see how to refit the filter -this also covers changing the filter itself and the o ring.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...43&postcount=3

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=9108
That second one was very helpful, looks like the gasket has come out completely and I was trying to fit it without properly seating it in between the top of the body.

As this is quite important and impossible to know if you are doing it for the first time you would think that Haynes would mention it in their manuals but not a word..The Curse Of Knowledge I suppose.

I'll give it a go in the morning

Cheers

Paul
Old 13th November 2020, 18:08   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh260260 View Post
That second one was very helpful, looks like the gasket has come out completely and I was trying to fit it without properly seating it in between the top of the body.
Hello Paul, it's a fairly common problem. The vital thing to check is the orientation of the seal. It's handed, so if you place it on upside down, you'll never get the locking ring to engage the port thread. The lip of the port should locate within a groove around the gasket. The HowTo mentions some wording on the bottom side. I don't know whether this applies to the current supply of seals so it could be a matter of close examination. When it's correctly located around the lip of the port, the locking ring should enter the thread very easily.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 20:15   #5
paulh260260
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Hello Paul, it's a fairly common problem. The vital thing to check is the orientation of the seal. It's handed, so if you place it on upside down, you'll never get the locking ring to engage the port thread. The lip of the port should locate within a groove around the gasket. The HowTo mentions some wording on the bottom side. I don't know whether this applies to the current supply of seals so it could be a matter of close examination. When it's correctly located around the lip of the port, the locking ring should enter the thread very easily.

TC
Hopefully it should be easy to rectify as its still the original seal although I may have damaged it by trying to get it to squeeze in unnaturally!!

Ah well it s only £6 or so fr a replacement seal from DRMGS

Paul
Old 14th November 2020, 13:09   #6
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Having recently (well, over the last 8 months) being plagued with a starting problem (caused by an lpg fault, though starting on petrol...), I too have been into the filter and had this problem. I'd just like to add, get the seal located before pushing the filter down, but make sure you don't a) kink any fuel pipes, b) get the float tangled with pipes or cable, and not jammed. It is quite tight to push down but will go, needs a little pressure to ensure the big metal "nut" ring starts on the thread.
I initially accessed the filter to check for the clip, which wasn't fitted, so I did that, but it wasn't my problem. I did however find there was no filter cartridge in the filter, so later went back to fit that, after correcting the starting fault. In the meantime I had kinked the fuel pipe attached to the filter, and many weeks later the rhs of the tank became dry so the AA brought me home. (Running on lpg, my petrol lasts months). As part of all this I got involved with the fuel pump too, and dislodged the float on that side, resulting in a rheostat rebuilt in situ. At least I understand the system better now! I documented my woes here:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=308784

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 15:59   #7
paulh260260
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
Having recently (well, over the last 8 months) being plagued with a starting problem (caused by an lpg fault, though starting on petrol...), I too have been into the filter and had this problem. I'd just like to add, get the seal located before pushing the filter down, but make sure you don't a) kink any fuel pipes, b) get the float tangled with pipes or cable, and not jammed. It is quite tight to push down but will go, needs a little pressure to ensure the big metal "nut" ring starts on the thread.
I initially accessed the filter to check for the clip, which wasn't fitted, so I did that, but it wasn't my problem. I did however find there was no filter cartridge in the filter, so later went back to fit that, after correcting the starting fault. In the meantime I had kinked the fuel pipe attached to the filter, and many weeks later the rhs of the tank became dry so the AA brought me home. (Running on lpg, my petrol lasts months). As part of all this I got involved with the fuel pump too, and dislodged the float on that side, resulting in a rheostat rebuilt in situ. At least I understand the system better now! I documented my woes here:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=308784

Stewart
Cheers Stewart, very interesting reading. At the moment it's fine and hopefully I've not dislodged anything, however if there is one slight hint of a misfire or slow start then I'm back in to check!!!

After 12 years of owning 75's I still l'm still learning new stuff, most of my education coming from this forum!!!!
Old 15th November 2020, 16:14   #8
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Hello Paul,

Is she firing up OK now ?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2020, 14:43   #9
paulh260260
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Hello Paul,

Is she firing up OK now ?
Yep all Ok now, hopefully it stays that way!!!

Paul