Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th June 2022, 14:45   #1
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Default Not starting 2,5 V6 after heavy rainfall, Cam sensors MK1 MK2 interchangeable?

Hi folks,

my MK2 2004 2,5 V6 refuses to start after heavy rainfall.
I does crank, the RPM needle moves a bit, so crank sensor is ok, no ignition. Strange thing was that my daycounter was reset to zero without me doing something, happened after the rainfall.

Battery is sufficient it shows.
All looking bone dry. f.i. no water near pollenfilter, but a bit water near manifold pressure sensor under the bonnet. No sunroof in this car.
Checked the fuses, all ok.
Cleaned the CAM sensor, still no starting, only cranking, wants to start but it does not go.
Door locks with remote control, is working.

TOAF only sees:
P0481. Cooling fan 2 control circuit malfunction, short to ground, no signal detected, sproadic error, fault present:
P1471 Variable intake manifold actuator 1, valve always closed, short to V batt. sporadic error, fautl present.

P0481: something to do with the airco is not working? Changed the resistor for a gold one, will change a leaking pipe with a new one soon (thanks to mate Trikey!), nothing to do with not starting I think?

P1471: Need to change the VIS motor? Nothing to do with non starting I think?

To eliminate the CAM sensor, I want to try one from the MK1 cars, but it does look different.

MK1:

Mk2

My questions; Can I interchange the Mk1 CAM sensor in the MK 2 to try if this would solve the problem?

What else could I try? Fuel filter separation problem? Pump is running.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers from Holland.

Emiel
Old 27th June 2022, 15:18   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

The mkII cam sensor looks to be original whereas the other aftermarket (?), as far as I know they are interchangeable.

Your VIS fault won't prevent starting, contact Stocktake if you need a replacement.

Your fan error is probably because you've got a 2 speed fan and Toaf expects a 3 speed, so ignore it. If you've now replaced the resistor the P0481 error should disappear.

I'd measure the fuel pressure at the Schraeder valve and expect at least 3.5 bar, if not examine the fuel filter.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2022, 15:57   #3
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Do you have the fabled orange clip (aka the FOC) (now white) fitted to your fuel filter - if not a classic non start reason on later cars.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2022, 07:45   #4
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Hello Mike and Martin,

thank you both for your reactions, it is appreciated. I will buy a fuel pressure test to check this. And I will try to check the orange clip. Do I understand correctly that in order to check the orange clip, the tank should not be filled completely? Because that is the case at the moment.

Thanks, Emiel
Old 28th June 2022, 08:39   #5
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Emiel,

Certainly doesn't help that the tank is full, just be prepared for some leakage after you unscrew the large galvanised clip, but you can raise the filter a bit to see if (a) the filter has a clip, otherwise order one, and (b) that the ribs of the filter are in line as in this link:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...&highlight=foc

But if your fuel pressure is at or over 3.5 bar then it would suggest there's nothing wrong with the filter, at least at the moment but the clip is advised for all later model cars.

My fuel pressure kit is similar to this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284168505...oAAOSwg9RduaA3

Keep well
Old 28th June 2022, 09:40   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Mk1 and mk2 cam sensors are interchange Emiel, the only difference is on the early mk1s where the wiring is different to the cam sensor. This can be overcome by a link lead from rimmer brothers.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 28th June 2022, 12:42   #7
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Do you have the fabled orange clip (aka the FOC) (now white) fitted to your fuel filter - if not a classic non start reason on later cars.
There you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134155906...wAAOSwphliaa31

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2022, 14:41   #8
Azur
Loves to post

Hi Mike, Andy, Martin and all, thanks again, here the update:

I changed the CAM sensor with a 100 % working one from the other cars, no difference. The car splatters a bit and wants to start but does not fire on. Rechardged a new battery fully, but still no starting. Now, as mentioned, the fuel tank is full. How can I get this half empty? I tried via the filling opening with a siphon, but I guess it is protected because I can not get anything out. Fuel pump is running. I do not dare to pick up the fuelfilter with a full tank to check for the clip, although I want to (tnx for the links!). So for now I will buy the fuel pressure tester. Could someone please let me know where the shrader valve is where to put the pressure tester on? Does that work with ignition on only?

Thanks and cheers from a sunny Holland.

Emiel

Last edited by Azur; 28th June 2022 at 14:44..
Azur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2022, 16:34   #9
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Can't find an image but look at the throttle cable beside the battery, you should see a pipe sticking up with a blue cap on, that's the valve. Screw the pressure gauge on, then ignition on and see what it reads. If it reads 3.5 or more then be prepared for some petrol loss when you unscrew the gauge, wrap a rag around the area.

I've emptied tanks in the past by putting a hose into the filter cavity and using a remote pump. Alternatively you could try disconnecting the incoming fuel pipe beside the battery and drain into a suitable container, I'm unsure how long the pump will run on ignition on only (?).

Very warm here too, we live right next to a river where the water is 27c - only four swims today

Keep well
Old 29th June 2022, 09:06   #10
Azur
Loves to post

Found it, thank you, I will report back as soon as I have the pressure test kit delivered (couple a days). Cheers!