Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2022, 09:58   #31
N00b
Regular poster
 
MG ZT-T

Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: South Shields
Posts: 42
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Let's hope you get it sorted it is a shame you are so far away from me or I would have had a look
Thank you, I really appreciate that. It's my opinion that as my guy can't get fluid from any of the 4 wheels then either the MS is fritzed or there is some valve or suchlike in the ABS block that is closed. I just can't see the MS choosing the exact moment I left the car at the garage as the appropriate time to die.
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 10:22   #32
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louth
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 324
Thanked 806 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b View Post
Thank you, I really appreciate that. It's my opinion that as my guy can't get fluid from any of the 4 wheels then either the MS is fritzed or there is some valve or suchlike in the ABS block that is closed. I just can't see the MS choosing the exact moment I left the car at the garage as the appropriate time to die.
Is there any pedal pressure at all? In all my years with these cars I have know a master cylinder fail if he is using a pressure bleeder then even if the master cylinder had failed the pressure bleeder would still allow fluid through and out the bleed nipples
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 14:07   #33
N00b
Regular poster
 
MG ZT-T

Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: South Shields
Posts: 42
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Is there any pedal pressure at all? In all my years with these cars I have know a master cylinder fail if he is using a pressure bleeder then even if the master cylinder had failed the pressure bleeder would still allow fluid through and out the bleed nipples
He used an air powered bleeder@40psi. The fact he can't get fluid to the other three wheels must mean there's a closed valve somewhere that needs to be opened, surely?
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 14:52   #34
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two
 
Rover 75 Saloon

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louth
Posts: 1,080
Thanks: 324
Thanked 806 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Ok then I would apply pressure bleeder then crack pipes off at master cylinder then move along system to ABS unit etc
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 19:25   #35
Avulon
This is my second home
 
Avulon's Avatar
 
1.8t Tourer

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tanelorn
Posts: 4,828
Thanks: 958
Thanked 1,143 Times in 912 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b View Post
He used an air powered bleeder@40psi. The fact he can't get fluid to the other three wheels must mean there's a closed valve somewhere that needs to be opened, surely?

That would be a novel concept - that some valve could exist in a vehicle braking system that could shut off hydraulic flow between the master cylinder and the brake caliper. ! I couldn't think of anything more dangerous.
No, pure and simple it will be almost certainly be air in the 'normal' braking circuit: with one caveat - It's very possible that the master cylinder fill and bleed back holes can get blocked - removal and cleaning are the remedy - In this case a new master cylinder will 'fix' the issue, but will have been unneccessary. (although given workshop rates might be the cheaper option..).
__________________
Need a T4 ?: T4 Owners Map thanks to Stevestrat ( use at your own risk)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Avulon For This Useful Post:
Old 11th April 2022, 07:43   #36
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves
 
SD1too's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Middlesex
Posts: 19,009
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 3,643 Times in 3,087 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b View Post
He used an air powered bleeder@40psi.
40 psi?

The manufacturer of Easi Bleed warns to use no more than 20.

Simon
__________________
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble."
Sir Henry Royce.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SD1too For This Useful Post:
Old 14th May 2022, 14:46   #37
N00b
Regular poster
 
MG ZT-T

Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: South Shields
Posts: 42
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Update.
Had the master cylinder off the car and even manually pushing the piston it still won't allow fluid out of the rear port. I ordered a new master cylinder from Rimmer bros but even though their site says "all models" the new part is significantly different from the one the car has. After speaking to them the sales guy did a more in depth search and told me the one I've been sent can't be fitted to a diesel ZT. The one I need is unavailable and also the backup option of a seal kit is as well. As it's a Lucas part surely I can get a repair kit from somewhere? I really need to get this car back on the road asap so my options are either a seal kit or a used MC from one of the fine people in here.
Any advice guys?
N00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2022, 18:27   #38
stevestrat
This is my second home
 
ZT260 #243 (resting)

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Prestonpans
Posts: 20,839
Thanks: 595
Thanked 4,375 Times in 3,193 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b View Post
The one I need is unavailable and also the backup option of a seal kit is as well. As it's a Lucas part surely I can get a repair kit from somewhere?
Seal kits are like chicken's teeth, there are regular posts asking where they can be found on here.
__________________
Steve


T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2022, 19:21   #39
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two
 
patrolman pete's Avatar
 
Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houghton - le - Spring
Posts: 1,335
Thanks: 603
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b View Post
Update.
Had the master cylinder off the car and even manually pushing the piston it still won't allow fluid out of the rear port. I ordered a new master cylinder from Rimmer bros but even though their site says "all models" the new part is significantly different from the one the car has. After speaking to them the sales guy did a more in depth search and told me the one I've been sent can't be fitted to a diesel ZT. The one I need is unavailable and also the backup option of a seal kit is as well. As it's a Lucas part surely I can get a repair kit from somewhere? I really need to get this car back on the road asap so my options are either a seal kit or a used MC from one of the fine people in here.
Any advice guys?
If you are looking for a second hand master cylinder, Lisburn Scrap yard in Pallion , Sunderland has a couple of 75's in. he's open week days from 10am to 2pm.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2022, 21:40   #40
Ducati750cc
Loves to post
 
Rover75 tourer

Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Ashton
Posts: 303
Thanks: 108
Thanked 177 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00b View Post
Update.
Had the master cylinder off the car and even manually pushing the piston it still won't allow fluid out of the rear port. I ordered a new master cylinder from Rimmer bros but even though their site says "all models" the new part is significantly different from the one the car has. After speaking to them the sales guy did a more in depth search and told me the one I've been sent can't be fitted to a diesel ZT. The one I need is unavailable and also the backup option of a seal kit is as well. As it's a Lucas part surely I can get a repair kit from somewhere? I really need to get this car back on the road asap so my options are either a seal kit or a used MC from one of the fine people in here.
Any advice guys?

Have you stripped the cylinder down to find what is causing it ?
__________________
Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.
Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2022, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd