Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th April 2010, 11:26   #21
RobRoy
Regular poster

Rover 75

Gary, thanks for that advice, I've botched up a home-made flywheel locking tool already, thats how I undid the pulley bolt as my car is automatic.
RobRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:09   #22
Gary
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Club - Mitsubishi GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
Gary, thanks for that advice, I've botched up a home-made flywheel locking tool already, thats how I undid the pulley bolt as my car is automatic.
I don’t understand the automatic gear box but I bet you will probably find it has something to do with not being able to turn the crank?????
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:16   #23
RobRoy
Regular poster

Rover 75

If anyone can tell me how to put a photo on the forum I'm happy to post some of mine but when I try the message comes up saying my photos exceed the forum limit
Old 20th April 2010, 12:22   #24
RobRoy
Regular poster

Rover 75

Gary, I've tried it in Park, Neutral and Drive, still no joy. It's jacked up and the wheels are off the ground. It turned OK in Park when I set it to 90 degs BTDC before removing the head. I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to bolt the head back on temporarily- poo!!
Old 20th April 2010, 12:24   #25
superdavid
Avid contributor

MG ZT 2.0 Ltr CDTi

create an account with these http://photobucket.com/, then upload the photos you want, once they are uploaded you will see a grey box below saying IML, just copy and paste that iml address in your reply and hey presto.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
superdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:46   #26
roger the rover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club Tourer

Hi Robroy, recently removed pistons and liners from my 1.8T did not fit liner retainers as the liners were quite tight crank turned easily maybe you should try loosening your retainer and try again. you will have to remove them anyway and remove the oil rail ladder to get to the big ends. If you can access my photo gallery you will see the liner removal tool I made
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2192comp.jpg (39.2 KB, 24 views)
roger the rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 13:16   #27
RobRoy
Regular poster

Rover 75

superdavid, thanks for the info, here goes, Ihope I've got it right this time. For anyone crazy enough and interested enough to do a HGF on their own without previous experience, (I'm a computer engineer!) here are photos of my home made liner clamp, below that I've shown the damaged piston then the crank in the inaccessible position for piston 1 at 90 degs BTDC. The very last photo is of a home-made tool I was given by a really helpful guy at ERS in Lathom Lancs opposite Briars Hall. If you go there you may think you are on candid camera with Robin Williams because he's the dead spit of him but he spent a quarter of an hour rummaging through all his boxes after I approached him last saturdaty to hire a flywheel locking tool that I had forgotten to order. Thinking that I would be held up again all weekend not being able to get the crankshaft pulley undone I went to several local garages, he was the only one who could help. The small piece of angle iron was one he had used previously but the larger piece he gave to me and I hammered it into shape and stuck it onto the wooden handle. Remove the starter motor and jam it into the flywheel teeth wedge it with a brush handle and hey presto!!
Old 20th April 2010, 13:29   #28
RobRoy
Regular poster

Rover 75

roger the rover, thanks for the info also, but I'm terrified by all the stories of loose liners and seals being broken by moving them so I'm reluctant to let them budge even one thou'
Old 20th April 2010, 13:36   #29
Gary
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Club - Mitsubishi GTO

What happens if you put the car in park and try and turn the engine over using the key?
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 13:40   #30
RobRoy
Regular poster

Rover 75

Gary, the starter motor is off at the moment and I wouldn't want to try that anyway. I'm just off now to collect the skimmed head. The garage (Black Diamond in Warrington) have got a 75 in the workshop now that they are working on and can turn the crankshaft no bother. They are going to let me have a look at it (they've been really helpful also, highly recommended)